Author Topic: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry  (Read 21382 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry
« on: October 06, 2020, 01:34:39 PM »

Didn't talk to Ivy?  Yes, I understand she is totally into her Archive role now, but she is still Ivy.  I
believe that Ivy still sees Harry as a friend.  What I thought was weird, he didn't even give her
a head nod in acknowledgement or vice versa..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Surprised or Disappointed That Harry
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 02:50:29 PM »

Didn't talk to Ivy?  Yes, I understand she is totally into her Archive role now, but she is still Ivy.  I
believe that Ivy still sees Harry as a friend.  What I thought was weird, he didn't even give her
a head nod in acknowledgement or vice versa..
And I wanted him to have a chat with Sarissa. Might be interesting
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bacail

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 03:07:52 PM »
I was screaming at Harry to call for Cat Sidhe during the Malk scenes.  Would have loved to have that snark machine come back.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 04:28:53 PM »
I think it's funny that some of us are complaining about what was left out of the books while others (and sometimes the same ones) are complaining that there was too much going on.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 05:04:16 PM »
I think it's funny that some of us are complaining about what was left out of the books while others (and sometimes the same ones) are complaining that there was too much going on.

Some things were more logical than others, agreed about Sarrissa as well as the Archive, Harry had a fairly close friendship with both these ladies.  Some things just seem odd, Drakul and Mavra, oh making warden vamps for the future.. Ferrofax, he is important, but he isn't at that first meeting of the Accords after the battle.

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 05:07:34 PM »
I thought him and Ivy not even making eye contact was odd.  Not like it needed to be more then a single line.  But he gave her a name for goodness sake.  Even if she is trying to put some distance for some reason, I think there would have been something. 

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 05:10:18 PM »
Lots of little things were left out.

Conversations with:
  • Ivy
  • Sarissa
  • Fix
  • Odin

A clear final status for:
  • Christos
  • Andy and Marci
  • Bonea
  • Mister

It might have been good for Harry to find out that/why Ivy's mad at him. A reminder about leaving interpersonal wounds to fester would be timely.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 05:13:43 PM »
I thought him and Ivy not even making eye contact was odd.  Not like it needed to be more then a single line.  But he gave her a name for goodness sake.  Even if she is trying to put some distance for some reason, I think there would have been something.
There is that matter of Harry using Kincaid to kill himself. In one day she was robbed of all her close contacts. She won’t take that lightly. No way to know what she thinks about Harry now.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline CrusherJen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 05:19:09 PM »
I'm not sure about Christos, though I'd like to think we'd have heard about it if he'd died. But then, the White Council just kicked Harry out, so it's not surprising we don't get the answer on that one.

I'm pretty sure Andi and Marci were the wolves bodyguarding Butters after the Battle of the Bean, when Harry returns after the final confrontation with Ethniu, so they're okay. And in one of the recent video interviews, Jim confirms that Mister and Bonea were with the Carpenters during the big fight, so they're okay. (I can't remember which one that's from, but I think it was either the Barnes & Noble chat or the Muskogee Library vid.)
"An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo."   --from Blood Rites

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 05:22:45 PM »
There is that matter of Harry using Kincaid to kill himself. In one day she was robbed of all her close contacts. She won’t take that lightly. No way to know what she thinks about Harry now.

That's true, but you think one line with Harry making eye contact, and Ivy glaring, then turning away.  Or something like that.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 05:36:11 PM »
Lots of little things were left out.

A clear final status for:
  • Andy and Marci
IIRC, Harry had two wolves guarding him and so did Butter. I think there was also a line about how Harry didn't go out with werewolves shadowing him. I don't remember the number for that one.

It just struck me that the end of BG is very similar to GP. Harry's upset that he's lost his love and it's dangerous for him to go outside. GP was the book where things started to escalate from detective stories to something on a larger scale.

(I can't remember which one that's from, but I think it was either the Barnes & Noble chat or the Muskogee Library vid.)
I remember it, so it's not Barnes & Noble.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 05:47:41 PM »

That happened some time ago, and I am sure she may have known from the beginning.  But is she mad at Harry, who was suffering?  Or at Kincaid, who happily went along with it for a big payday? Now he is an adult, not a stranger to killing, all he had to do was say, "no" to Harry, and Harry's plans would have been thwarted.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 06:27:05 PM »
  That happened some time ago, and I am sure she may have known from the beginning.  But is she mad at Harry, who was suffering?  Or at Kincaid, who happily went along with it for a big payday? Now he is an adult, not a stranger to killing, all he had to do was say, "no" to Harry, and Harry's plans would have been thwarted.

She's a teenager who was hurt/betrayed/abandoned by the two people closest to her simultaneously. Do you really think she's not mad at both of them?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 10:24:20 PM »

Apparently the story takes place right after Changes, when Kincaid get's back from shooting Harry.

Here is what goes down;
She knew.

“In the chest, Kincaid,” Ivy said.

If you’re shooting at someone, you’ve already decided to kill him. There’s no reason to shoot him anywhere other than the head, if you can. And I can.

She took a step toward me, maybe ninety pounds of furious, tearful eyes and newly-filled-out lips pulled away from a snarl. “In the chest. Or face me.”

I thought about asking her why. But in the end, it didn’t really matter. She had the power to stop me, for good. And she would use it if I didn’t comply. A chest shot might give the wizard time to throw a death curse at me, if he changed his mind.

It was a less risky proposition than going up against the Archive herself, here, now.

I gave her a small bow.

She returned it. Then she stepped aside, so that I could walk to the door.

“I’ll be back in two days,” I said.

“Kincaid,” Ivy said quietly.

I paused at the door.

“He’s my only other friend,” she said.

She seems pissed that he shot Harry in the chest and not the head.  I guess because Harry wanted to die, and Kincaid agreed to do it, and he didn't go for the sure kill shot.  She apparently also knows that Harry still lives because she says "He's my only other friend," not that he was her only other friend. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 10:34:19 PM »
The story takes place during Changes. Ivy tells Kincaid to shoot Dresden in the chest or she'll come for him. She did that so that Harry had a chance. She's mad a Kincaid for taking the contract, and she's probably mad at Harry for offering it.