Author Topic: Mab Theory [Peace Talks and Battle Ground spoilers]  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Nivarius

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Mab Theory [Peace Talks and Battle Ground spoilers]
« on: October 06, 2020, 10:50:21 AM »
So, by now we know that Mab was linked to Merlin, and that she loved him. It probably means, following the Arthurian legends, that she was Niniane/Viviane when she was a mortal, and that she is somehow responsible for Merlin's death/imprisonment in Demonreach.

But I wonder, as it's been established that Ebenezar and Harry are descendants of Merlin, who was the woman part of the lineage? For me, it's starting to look a lot like Mab could be Harry's ancestor. She's been protecting Harry for a while now, preparing him for what's to come in her tough love way, and has been very patient with him. Remember, we're talking about Mab, and she hates insolence against herself or her Court. But somehow, at the end of BG, she seems really happy that he intends to rebel against her. It almost looked like she was proud of him. And at least the last two or three books have been insisting on the parallels between Mab and Harry, what it means to become a monster, the sacrifices one has to make in order to save the people around them.

BG tells us that Mab is basically a general hardened by war, and that she recognizes Harry as a fellow soldier who is starting to understand what it takes to fight this war. But what if it was something like a mother/grandmother who was happy that her offspring finally took her lessons to heart? There's also the scene with Mother Winter trying to kill Harry, and afterwards Mother Summer basically told us that she's shown Harry respect/love in her own way. And what about the Blackstaff, which is starting to look more and more like Mother Winter's walking cane? Wouldn't it make sense that it somewhat stayed in the family? Ethniu says about Eb that he's a child playing with an adult toy, but usually, kids do that with objects from their own family.

Of course, I think people will point out that Mab had sex with Harry in front of all the Fae. First, even Harry said there was nothing really sexual about it, and that it was more about trying to survive a hurricane (or something like that). And second, we've seen that Mab is ready to do whatever is necessary to achieve her means: having sex with Harry was probably the only way to give him the Winter Knight mantle, so she had no choice, and also, what better way to dismiss any way this theory could be true to her enemies than doing that?

Mab has been protecting Harry for a long time, often from himself, with Harry taking that as unfair pressure from someone alien who wanted him to become something he didn't want. Sounds a lot to me like a child not wanting to follow what their parents want for them.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Mab Theory [Peace Talks and Battle Ground spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 05:07:26 PM »
It's been established Ebenezer and Harry are links in a chain of apprentices. Not aware of anything that says it's a bloodline. Please post if available. Apprentices <=> bloodline.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 05:42:03 PM »
It's been established Ebenezer and Harry are links in a chain of apprentices. Not aware of anything that says it's a bloodline. Please post if available. Apprentices <=> bloodline.

Has never said, I think a lot of us are reading into it that it is a bloodline however until confirmation it could be simply master to apprentice.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 05:54:01 PM »
Very important to be aware of the distinction between community assumption and actual author confirmed facts

Offline Nivarius

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 06:04:07 PM »
Hum, interesting, I was actually remembering from the books, not the community. Well, I guess it makes my theory even more theorical. Could still hold up, though, even if that makes it a big "If" on Merlin's part.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 06:43:36 PM »
I didn't think anyone assumed it was true that Harry is an ancestor Merlin. Just that there's enough there for it to be predicted. I go the extra step and say that Merlin was Odin's son. I don't claim it's true. I just think it would make Chichen Itza make even more sense. That curse was way overpowered if Eb was the ultimate target. That curse killed gods.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 06:54:55 PM »
I didn't think anyone assumed it was true that Harry is an ancestor Merlin. Just that there's enough there for it to be predicted. I go the extra step and say that Merlin was Odin's son. I don't claim it's true. I just think it would make Chichen Itza make even more sense. That curse was way overpowered if Eb was the ultimate target. That curse killed gods.
You might be onto something. It does seem a bit much just to kill some grumpy old Blackstaff wizard.
Maybe the English prisoner is Merlin. And he will play a critical role in the BAT so has to be annihilated by Outsider friendly beings.
Not so sure about Odin.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 07:06:17 PM »
Not so sure about Odin.
Neither am I. It's just my pet theory and head cannon until Jim tells me otherwise.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 07:12:05 PM »
Neither am I. It's just my pet theory and head cannon until Jim tells me otherwise.
But maybe Mab. I mean, if she created the bloodline with Merlin... One would understand Outsiders to want Mab dead. This would directly influence the power over the Outer Gates.
Could be a bloodline curse could kill her. Could be this is why she allowed Harry to safe Maggie first after the knighting ceremony.

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 07:14:53 PM »
Since the first Merlin supposedly created the island, it would be pretty ironic if he was a prisoner there.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 07:32:42 PM »

Had to punch through Edinborough's defenses.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 08:11:01 PM »
Had to punch through Edinborough's defenses.
Maybe. I don't think that's enough to explain it. I'm not sure one would need a lot of power to breach Edenborough's defenses if they're using a blood curse. It's been repeatedly stated that if they've got your blood they got you. (I know this is different, but it's similar). If you could just hope behind some wards, having someone's blood wouldn't be nearly as big a deal.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 12:54:08 AM »
So, by now we know that Mab was linked to Merlin, and that she loved him. It probably means ... like a child not wanting to follow what their parents want for them.

Wouldn't it be an interesting twist if Merlin (trapped in a crystal under Demonreach) and Mab were both ancestors of Harry?

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2020, 01:21:28 AM »
Wouldn't it be an interesting twist if Merlin (trapped in a crystal under Demonreach) and Mab were both ancestors of Harry?

A bit squicky after he, um, tapped that presumably-phat @$$.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 03:42:15 AM »
A bit squicky after he, um, tapped that presumably-phat @$$.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D