Author Topic: [major BG spoilers] About the Council.  (Read 11837 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: [major BG spoilers] About the Council.
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2020, 05:32:17 AM »
I think Harry getting booted out of the WC and the wardens was part of Nemesis' plan to weaken Harry.   Mai and maybe Christos have been corrupted by N.   I think Carlos was also infected.  Why else would he turn on Harry that way.  He believed in Harry and trusted him.  He knew Harry had a dangerous side from that time at Camp Kaboom.  Why would anything Harry has done since change his mind? Especially after the talk they had at the end of WK.

I'm beginning to think Harry being Starborn gives Harry some protection against the Ninfection.  What about Drakul you say? Drakul was just acting in self interest not corrupted or fighting for a cause.
I have been thinking the same thing.  Carlos sounded too weird when he told Harry he was no longer part of the Council.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2020, 08:03:09 AM »
I think Harry getting booted out of the WC and the wardens was part of Nemesis' plan to weaken Harry.   Mai and maybe Christos have been corrupted by N.   I think Carlos was also infected.  Why else would he turn on Harry that way.  He believed in Harry and trusted him.  He knew Harry had a dangerous side from that time at Camp Kaboom.  Why would anything Harry has done since change his mind? Especially after the talk they had at the end of WK.

I'm beginning to think Harry being Starborn gives Harry some protection against the Ninfection.  What about Drakul you say? Drakul was just acting in self interest not corrupted or fighting for a cause.
That's another reason to be worried. He knows that Harry going evil was a distinct possibility before he signed up with Mab for unknown reasons (he was in a cell at this time) and took a job with a history or turning the people who take it into monsters and started shacking up with the White Court.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2020, 08:58:35 AM »
Yeah, I don't see anything weird about how Ramirez has been acting. He hasn't seen Harry in a couple years (ever since he signed on with Mab). He's been watching Harry act super-shady, hanging around Lara and get super cagey when asked why, to the point where he straight-up threatens to get violent when he and the other young wardens ask him to do something as reasonable as confirm that he wasn't fucking the mind-controlling vampire.

Then latter on, he does attack him. Harry has reasons sure (he's protecting Thomas) but to anyone without that information, Harry looks exactly like a White Court thrall.

About the only thing he could have done that would make him look worse to the White Council is if he'd started wearing Black Robes everywhere and introducing himself as "Darth Kemmler 2.0"
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 09:14:49 AM by forumghost »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »
I agree with you. I've been wondering one thing, though.
Could a mind controlled victim of the rampires gather the will to imprison a Titan (even if she was weakened)?

The part I've found weird about Ramirez in the end was his demeanor, quite aggressive (would you be aggresive around Harry if you thought he has gone dark side?) and not even saying sorry about Murph. I mean, not everyone knew Harry and Murphy were an item, but they were good friends, that was known.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2020, 09:51:39 AM »
Could a mind controlled victim of the rampires gather the will to imprison a Titan (even if she was weakened)?

The part I've found weird about Ramirez in the end was his demeanor, quite aggressive (would you be aggresive around Harry if you thought he has gone dark side?) and not even saying sorry about Murph. I mean, not everyone knew Harry and Murphy were an item, but they were good friends, that was known.
Ramirez probably did not even know.

The problem with first person POV is that if we want to look at someone else’s motivation we have to reconstruct his point of view. Forget all we know about what Harry tells himself and only look at what Ramirez sees.

Harry never did that with Ramirez but if you do his actions become somewhat more understandable.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2020, 10:21:33 AM »
Totally true, they need to be together for a beer on Mac's. That way, Ramirez would probably know what Harry did for everyone there and they would be able to talk feelings. If Harry tells R. that he is sad and angry because he loved Murph, he lost her and he is forced to marry Lara, Ramirez will probably sympathize with him.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2020, 10:36:45 AM »

Aggressive is standard Warden operating procedure for suspected first-law Warlocks. See: Morgan and Harry, from book one. It's a test. Harry passed.

But Ramirez is also quite reasonably feeling hurt and betrayed.

Yes, Carlos didn't say anything about Murphy, but then Harry didn't apologize for humiliating Carlos in front of the Accorded nations, either. Carlos still has scars -- not from the Fomor, but from Harry choking him with his own cloak.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2020, 11:59:20 AM »

I agree, when I said it seemed weird, that is what I meant. 

Yes, Carlos didn't say anything about Murphy, but then Harry didn't apologize for humiliating Carlos in front of the Accorded nations, either. Carlos still has scars -- not from the Fomor, but from Harry choking him with his own cloak.

Tit for tat doesn't help anything does it?  Harry did feel bad, he said as much, but he didn't say anything.  But blaming Harry for the deaths etc?  Not only was it untrue, but it was a extremely low blow.
But Ramirez is also quite reasonably feeling hurt and betrayed.

Well, that makes two of them, doesn't it?

Totally true, they need to be together for a beer on Mac's. That way, Ramirez would probably know what Harry did for everyone there and they would be able to talk feelings. If Harry tells R. that he is sad and angry because he loved Murph, he lost her and he is forced to marry Lara, Ramirez will probably sympathize with him.

Yes, but is it possible now?  At the time there was no time..  An Harry knew that anything he said, would and could be used against him.  How would it go down when they found out he was related to the assassin?  Don't you think it odd that in the end they accuse him of breaking the law for killing Turtlenecks with magic?  So it is a trumped up charge, then they sentence him to death by the Blackstaff, then they suspend the sentence..  No, they wanted Harry out, while at least two members who'd advocate for him in surgery, they boot him out. 

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2020, 02:55:21 PM »
Ramirez is getting crabby about harry playing things close to the chest but so does everyone else... If he'd talked to Harry about Molly and why he was so upset at Harry it might have opened up about some of his business at least.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2020, 03:02:30 PM »
Ramirez is getting crabby about harry playing things close to the chest but so does everyone else... If he'd talked to Harry about Molly and why he was so upset at Harry it might have opened up about some of his business at least.

Did Harry visit Carlos at any point in Carlos's recovery? Harry has been very busy and confined for a year at the island but people make time for things that are important to them. Why not a quick lunch at Mac's? Why not a conversation with Molly for that matter? Has he talked about keeping the Mantel at bay with her at all?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2020, 05:37:05 PM »
Harry knew about what had happened to Carlos.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2020, 05:40:52 PM »
Harry knew about what had happened to Carlos.
Harry knew about the chupacabra, he did not know Molly attacked him or why.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2020, 05:50:00 PM »
I agree, when I said it seemed weird, that is what I meant. 

Tit for tat doesn't help anything does it?  Harry did feel bad, he said as much, but he didn't say anything.  But blaming Harry for the deaths etc?  Not only was it untrue, but it was a extremely low blow.
Well, that makes two of them, doesn't it?

Yes, but is it possible now?  At the time there was no time..  An Harry knew that anything he said, would and could be used against him.  How would it go down when they found out he was related to the assassin?  Don't you think it odd that in the end they accuse him of breaking the law for killing Turtlenecks with magic?  So it is a trumped up charge, then they sentence him to death by the Blackstaff, then they suspend the sentence..  No, they wanted Harry out, while at least two members who'd advocate for him in surgery, they boot him out.

Oh, I agree, the part about blaming Harry for the deaths was awful (and got me personally angry at Ramirez). And about killing humans...I am pretty sure the other wizards killed Fomor related humans too. It was too chaotic.
I see no reason why they can't met at Mac's. It is neutral, so Ramirez doesn't need to be afraid (it is also designed to cut magic).
Missing you, Md 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2020, 06:25:41 PM »
Did Harry visit Carlos at any point in Carlos's recovery? Harry has been very busy and confined for a year at the island but people make time for things that are important to them. Why not a quick lunch at Mac's? Why not a conversation with Molly for that matter? Has he talked about keeping the Mantel at bay with her at all? 

We have no clue one way or the other.  Where did Carlos do his recovering?  Would Carlos even level with Harry or anyone else as to how he got hurt?  It may have been a huge blow to his pride that he got so beat up trying to have sex with the Winter Lady..
I see no reason why they can't met at Mac's. It is neutral, so Ramirez doesn't need to be afraid (it is also designed to cut magic).

I can't either, except for one thing, both have to want to. 

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2020, 06:36:05 PM »
Harry knew about the chupacabra, he did not know Molly attacked him or why.
Yeah, that's how I read it as well. If you read their interactions as Carlos thinking Harry knows that Molly went gonzo on him due to the Mantle, and Harry not actually knowing about that, it sheds a lot of light on why Carlos is frustrated at him because it does seem like Dresden is threatening him and being an utter dick about it to boot...
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."