Author Topic: The one thing in battleground the bugged me: [BG Spoilers]  (Read 9463 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The one thing in battleground the bugged me: [BG Spoilers]
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2020, 12:45:14 AM »
There's not much I can say to this that won't run straight into touchy topics.
There's the Spanish American war, but yeah. Plenty of examples in my lifetime. Sure, none of them are at this scale, but how could there be? There hasn't been a mass casualty event like this on American soil since the Civil War.

With the pacemakers, maybe there is some protection to be had from being inside a human? It would make the use of the swallowed usb device even smarter.
This wouldn't surprise me in the least. It seems consistent with what we know if not probable.

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2020, 01:16:59 AM »
To the OP:
Think this. Imagine that tomorrow, in middle of this pandemic, future elections, and things like that Chicago is all but destroyed. You are not there. But perhaps you or something you know have family there. And that family survived and tells you all what happened. A big Titan, monsters in the streets. At the same time you read in newspapers, social networks (Supernatural people uses social networks too, except for the wizards), TV, radio tells you that there was a terrorist attack, and some massive allucinations around, probably because of gases or drugs or whatever.
Who would you believe? Wouldn't you think that perhaps the Chicagoan were traumatized for so much slaughter, pain, destruction?

And then I would have said that gangs terrorized people who where in such a state of desperation, panic and pain that they thought they were monsters.

Except this analogy doesn't work because its not as simple as "chicago was all but destroyed." We have a very specific form of attack with far too many witnesses. We dont need to bring the super natural into this. This would be like an asteroid hitting Chicago and the government trying to tell people it was a terroist attack and there was no asteroid. Aint gonna happen. Drugs do not cause consistent hallucinations of the same thing across a group of people that large of that large of an area. There is no chemical weapon that has such effects either. And even if there were, chemical weapons are highly irregular weapons. They would not have effected all of the people in the city, not even close to most of them.  What is going to happen is that 8 million people are going to be telling an entirely different story with with a high degree of consistency. It is also impossible for the people of the city to all be in a conspiracy.

"I have an example more on point that WW2 or the nuclear bombs, which were natural. Do you believe the Fatima miracles actually happened? Only around 100 years ago, not 600 or anything, in a time were some cameras already existed and some skepticism were around, literally hundreds of people claim to have seen the Virgin Mary. And more than once. Yes, there are not 8 million people, but there are quite a bunch. And do you, personally, believe it? Probably not, because they told you that they are lying or they had been victims of massive hysteria. Why wouldn't the same logic apply to Chicago?"

No I dont believe in the Fatima BS. People who have religious "hallucinations" (this presumes I dont think they are just liars), already have a concept of thing they claim to see. They also have clearly assumed ulterior motives. Not to mention that their experiences are not repeatable, are generally highly vague. To boot you have that people in the Fatima thing were claiming to see things right after they looked directly into the sun...I could go on but the entire event is entirely nonsense that only a fool could believe. Just like all religious experiences.

This is going to start getting into epistemology, and part of the problem here is that the Dresden Files is already on shaky ground on this regard because the fact that the supernatural world exists and no one is aware of it requires considerable suspension of disbelief. Exploiting this plot device beyond the general hum drum of the detective cases starts to get into absurdity, especially when it was deliberately set up and foreshadowed for the entire novel until it got ret-conned at the end.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2020, 02:35:27 AM »
Ok, as you just call me a fool, I am not going to keep arguing with you.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Shift8

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2020, 03:12:33 AM »
Ok, as you just call me a fool, I am not going to keep arguing with you.

You actually think Fatima happened? Really?

And don't be melodramatic. I didn't call you a fool any more than someone accusing another person of lying is calling that person a liar. If you really do think that those experiences happen (or are real), or that Fatima happened, I think your are being extremely foolish.........but that does not mean I think you are fool as a defining characteristic of your character. Especially since they way you presented the Fatima examples made it seem to me that you yourself would find someone who believed it foolish, since you seemed to be implying that people would find the Chicago claims absurd just like Fatima.

So no, I do not think you are a "fool."

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2020, 03:25:27 AM »
Seeing as we've reached the point where you're openly demeaning real world events that some people take on real world faith, I'd say it's time to stop.

Either get the thread back on subject without belittling people's religious opinions, or the conversation will stop.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2020, 05:48:30 AM »
Thanks Griff. We'll do.
My belief about Fatima is "it could have happened. Many witnesses, several times. And I am sure Sor Lucia believed it" but my personal opinion is irrelevant. I understand a lot of people will have their doubts and utterly disbelieve it, and that was my point. Because basically I am saying that "yes, many people will understand the supernatural exists" but many others won't.
But what affected me was this sentence: "I could go on but the entire event is entirely nonsense that only a fool could believe. Just like all religious experiences". Because I do believe in other religious experiences (that I won't mention here).

So, on topic, do you really think all the versions about what happened in Chicago are coherent? That they will all tell the same thing? Remember that no many people were first hand witness. Most humans were hidden, running, trying not to be seen. The closer they were to the real thing, the more probable is that they were hurt. So more reason not to be trusty storytellers. And those who really watched it...what is your idea about the rate Rudolphs/Bradleys? I think most people would react in panic and denial. There was a big Jotun corpse there and Rudolph complained because Murph had killed it! And yes, I think the denial is stronger in the Dresdenverse than in our world (perhaps for influence of supernatural forces).

That, 'nuff said. I'll try to stay shut this time.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2020, 06:03:19 AM »
One thing I came up with...

What if it's all the Archive?

We know the Archive has worldwide reach, and its/her goal is to make mortals forget supernatural nasties. What better way than blanketly suppressing the knowledge of supernatural events? Sure, you can't make people disbelieve Harry Dresden exists, but if they disbelieve he's a wizard it makes it much easier to hide the very existence of faeries, jotuns, and icky fish-people. Not to mention the big nasties.

Therefore we don't need it to truly make sense, anymore than it had to make sense that Harry's volunteers stood and fought with a casualty rate that would break the most hardened of elite troops - supernatural power is wielded to make it so.