Author Topic: So is anyone going to address... [BG Spoilers]  (Read 3698 times)

Offline wildone654

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
So is anyone going to address... [BG Spoilers]
« on: October 04, 2020, 05:09:39 AM »
Mab pretty much outs Harry as some kind of proto-immortal. She gave him immortalish advice, Eb seemed uncomfortable with her mentioning it, and then they just went on their marry way.

So... Harry an immortal at some point.... How? Somthing to do with being Star Born? A mantel he is meant to pick up? A mantel he is on the path to creating??

Offline Eleyctra

• Posty McPostington
  • A humble artist
    • View Profile
Re: So is anyone going to address... [BG Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 05:36:00 AM »
Short answer: yes?

Theory on what: Wizard of Chicago gets upgraded to Wizard of Earth #52. (....That was an allusion to DC's "The New 52 multiverse", playing on the fact about another mirror Dresdenverse....and likely many others.)
The written word stands between memory & oblivion.Without books as our anchors,we're cast adrift,neither teaching nor learning.They're windows on the past,mirrors on the present,& prisms reflecting possible futures.Books are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time.
Jeffery Robbins-Gargoyles S2E4

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 05:42:20 AM »
Starborn is a large possibility, but I have a pet theory all wizards have 'the choice' and it's part of the indoctrination into Wizardy that they chose mortal by default.... Perhaps them staying in limbo longer is part of what gives them their long life, similar to Sarrisa's perhaps, mmm...

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 07:05:36 AM »
You beat me to the punch.  I was thinking of starting a thread that would ask:
If Harry became an immortal, who or what would he be?

My first thought is that Harry would take some immortal's mantel on Halloween, probably by killing them.  That would be easier said than done, seeing as Mab, Odin and the Erlking gave Harry the opportunity to lead the Wild Hunt.  He had to earn it, but it wasn't like Harry planned it that way from the start.  It didn't occur to me that Harry might be able to create a new mantel of his own.

From Eb's perspective, this is what he was warning Harry about, something that looked too good to be true.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline magical_liopleurodon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »
well, as far as the mantle he's creating, that's easy: He's the 'Za Lord

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 03:46:53 PM »

The Lord of the Pies.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 03:59:43 PM »

Options:
Za Lord
Warden
Winter Knight
Starborn

Offline Nivarius

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »
Harry doesn't have to kill an immortal to take on a mantle. There's one mantle mentioned in BG that we know has been passed around: Kringle. The Erlking might have been offended by the joke, but it's also the only mantle (that i remember) which has been mentioned as being kind of supplemental, and not a major mantle.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 10:58:57 AM »
Harry doesn't have to kill an immortal to take on a mantle. There's one mantle mentioned in BG that we know has been passed around: Kringle. The Erlking might have been offended by the joke, but it's also the only mantle (that i remember) which has been mentioned as being kind of supplemental, and not a major mantle.
The wild hunt. It is a sort of mantle.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Nivarius

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 11:12:48 AM »
True, leader of the Hunt is a mantle too, and not active throughout the year, like Kringle's.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 01:44:11 PM »

I don't think you can lump Kringle in with other mantles.  Odin is different, he calls mantles, masks.
He doesn't see any difference, he told Harry when he led the Hunt for a while, he merely wore another mask for a time.  "They can be worn and discarded on Halloween.."  Kringle, is one of many that Odin puts on and takes off.   Neither Mab nor Harry can discard their mantles that easily.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 04:15:11 PM »
Maybe they can. It's just a matter of figuring out how.

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 04:48:08 PM »
Didn't Harry have a conversation with someone (maybe Eb?) in BG about this?  But not really in depth, the whole conversation took me off guard.  Basically Harry said he wouldn't leave (I'm guessing being the winter knight?) until he found a way for Molly to get out too.  It hit me funny because I didn't think it was a matter of 'Molly getting out too', I didn't think Harry could get out.  Alive anyways.  Was an odd little back and forth.

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 04:55:20 PM »
Didn't Harry have a conversation with someone (maybe Eb?) in BG about this?  But not really in depth, the whole conversation took me off guard.  Basically Harry said he wouldn't leave (I'm guessing being the winter knight?) until he found a way for Molly to get out too.  It hit me funny because I didn't think it was a matter of 'Molly getting out too', I didn't think Harry could get out.  Alive anyways.  Was an odd little back and forth.

I found it.

His eyes glittered brightly behind his spectacles as he stared at Mab. “You should get out.”

“Not without Molly,” I said.

He sighed. “Why do you think Mab roped her in, boy?”

“Not without Molly,” I said, in exactly the same tone.

I mean, what is Eb talking about.  "You should get out."  HOW?

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 05:06:35 PM »
I mean, what is Eb talking about.  "You should get out."  HOW?

Find something Mab wants. Make it clear that he's going to be a mediocre Knight going forward. Offer to trade the thing Mab wants for a non-fatal release from his Knighthood.

With Eb's help, and Ivy's, and perhaps others, it really could be done, if Harry was sure he wanted to. If he was sure that he wouldn't be endangering all of reality. If he was sure he'd be okay losing the Winter mantle and Mab's protection at a time when the White Council appears to be gunning for him. And so on.