Author Topic: Is Harry OP? [Battle Ground Spoilers]  (Read 9332 times)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Is Harry OP? [Battle Ground Spoilers]
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2020, 07:40:49 PM »
I feel like this would go against Harry's goals of not starting a war between the Muggles and the Magical World.

That depends how fine of a line he's willing to walk in explaining the Council to the mortals. "Self-righteous pricks, but mostly harmless to you guys" is true, while leaving enough room that killing him would raise a lot of questions about the "mostly". 'Mostly harmless' like a three-fer - politically astute, a pop culture reference, and it would flip the bird at the Council who think they're so hot.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2020, 10:07:03 PM »

Listen to Mab, the White Council is going to realize that they need that wolf and take him back.  At the moment they see him as a monster. But I bet inside of a book or two, Harry is going to confront them about something as Rashid predicted, and they will realize, he is their monster.

I cant remember this, when did Rashid say it?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2020, 10:08:31 PM »
In Turn Coat he tells Harry that it's not yet time for him to confront the White Council.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2020, 10:32:09 PM »
Quote from: Turn Coat
“And I cannot permit you to openly challenge the White Council to battle.”

“No?” I asked, thrusting out my jaw. “Why not?”

His deep, resonant voice sounded troubled. “It is not yet your hour.”

I felt my eyebrows go up. “Not yet . . . ?”

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2020, 11:36:57 PM »
Thanks a lot :-)

But in that case I guess he more or less openly defied them just now?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2020, 11:53:20 PM »
Thanks a lot :-)

But in that case I guess he more or less openly defied them just now?
Not really. He just told them what he was going to do but they have no authority over him now. It is when they tell him what to do and he says no.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2020, 03:03:06 AM »
They think they have authority over him because they think they have authority over all human practitioners. So they might very well try to act tough at some point, but there's no-one left to come be a big hammer, other than sending a Senior Council member. Not unless Luccio is regaining some ground.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2020, 04:29:11 AM »

Oh there will be another crisis, the foundation was set down at the Accords meeting at the end of Battle Ground.  First thing Harry noticed was there were no White Council members in attendance.
Question, did they boycott the meeting for some reason?  Or were they excluded for some reason?
Either way at some point or another that is going to come to a head, and Harry will be in the middle of it.  It might be at the BAT that it happens or another crisis but at some point Harry will have to wake them up and shake them up to what is happening in their world.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2020, 12:27:10 AM »
Re: Harry and the Feds/Librarians...

Worth remembering that Lara has been working hard to insinuate herself into the federal government. Back in Changes, she was able to whistle up a helicopter from an aircraft carrier to evacuate the wounded from Chichen Itza. (Which means the Feds have a report somewhere about Molly and Mouse...)

The next time Harry sits down for a chat with the feds, it won't be as a two-bit P.I. terror suspect whose office was just blown up. He'll be the fiancé of an influence peddler with hooks in senators and governors and cabinet officials.

Of course, that comes with all kinds of costs. Some honest feds like Tilly may be far more suspicious of him because of that. And the White Court comes with a new level of social infighting and manipulation on levels that aren't really Harry's strong suit.

(See the Dresdenfiles RPG, with its three modes of combat -- physical, mental, and social. The last is Harry's weak spot. He's at an insane Superb(+5) for Conviction, used for mental conflict, what he'd describe as will or willpower, but an awful Average(+1) for Presence, used for social conflict.)

His next big power-up is going to have to be learning to manage his reputation and relationships better. Heck, Peace Talks/Battle Ground *should* have taught him that. Now Mab's throwing him in the deep end of the White Court where he'll either learn or die.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2020, 12:44:19 AM »
The next time Harry sits down for a chat with the feds, it won't be as a two-bit P.I. terror suspect whose office was just blown up. He'll be the fiancé of an influence peddler with hooks in senators and governors and cabinet officials.

Of course, that comes with all kinds of costs. Some honest feds like Tilly may be far more suspicious of him because of that.

That sounds like an excellent reason to play the engagement close to his vest, and not lean on any of Lara's contacts for any discussions with the feds.

For the time being, all he's obliged to do is appear with her at unspecified supernatural social events and conferences.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2020, 12:49:24 AM »
Actually, what I'd really like to see is the Feds/Librarians knocking on the door and wanting to ask him some questions -- and Harry offering them a revised schedule of his consulting fees.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2020, 03:40:06 AM »
The Council made their threats. Harry tossed it in their face.  This looks to be a proxy fight until the main attraction kicks off.  Maybe the balkanization of the Council, East against West.  Lonely boy, out on the West Coast.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2020, 04:10:08 AM »
It certainly makes one understand why the White Council is afraid of him. Wait until they hear about the engagement!

That is one I'd LOVE to read about!!  Eb will totally freak out.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2020, 04:25:23 AM »
Harry has tons of Weapons, but little ability to use them.

Seriously, Marcone got 1 power-up and it has him pulling out Magic that would let him trash Harry in spite of all his toys.
Butters took one of Harry's Hand-me-downs (bob) and made better use of it then Harry ever did, turning himself into Magitech Batman before he became a Jedi.
Carlos proves in this book just how much better he is then Harry at Magic with AoE Disintegration Magic.

I've felt this way for quite some time. Harry needs to start working smarter or the only thing keeping him alive will be plot armor. It's very close to jumping that shark now.