Author Topic: Is Harry OP? [Battle Ground Spoilers]  (Read 9326 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Is Harry OP? [Battle Ground Spoilers]
« on: October 01, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »
As of now, Harry has, in his possession or access to, the following:
  • A prison of gods, demigods, demons, monsters, and other assorted things, which he can (apparently) release and control, in part or in whole, at his whim.
  • Access to a dark lay line source that he could potentially tap with preparation for a spell or spells, similar to how the Denarians used it.
  • The Sword of Love.
  • The Spear of Destiny.
  • The Placard of Christ.
  • The Shroud of Turin.
  • The Crown of Thorns.
  • The Eye of Balor.
  • Castle Wyvern Dresden.
  • The Winter Knight mantle.
  • Third+ Generation Wizard bloodline.
  • Soulfire
  • Starborn power
  • Margaret's Knowledge of Ways.
  • Bob 'Marty Stu' the Skull.
  • Bonea's Angelic Knowledge (if not wisdom)
  • A defacto army of tens of thousands of Little Folk.

He's related to, best friends with, or engaged/married to
  • The Blackstaff.
  • The Sword of Hope bearer.
  • The Sword of Faith bearer.
  • The Winter Lady.
  • The Winter Queen.
  • The (secret) White Queen.

Am I forgetting anything? 

Seriously, he's got a ton of crap.  That's not even counting his friendly acquaintances (Uriel, Vadderung, Erlking), his middling power-level friends (Thomas, a pack of Werewolves, River), and his potential resource of professional hires (Goodman, Binder, Kincaid).

I feel like at this point, if Harry were to start wearing the Shroud as a cape (to help heal him on the go), he might be unstoppable.  And if he were to get the Blackstaff like many speculate, then what could possibly stop him?  Other than an iron-rich waterfall?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:31:55 PM by Griffyn612 »

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
Re: Is Harry OP? [Battle Ground Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 07:36:00 PM »
It certainly makes one understand why the White Council is afraid of him. Wait until they hear about the engagement!
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline Thana†os

• Participant
  • "You get what everyone gets...you get a lifetime."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 07:39:00 PM »
But does anyone really know he has or has access to ALL of that, other than the readers? and himself, of course.
"You're just jealous because the Voices speak to me!"

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 07:43:38 PM »
Which is why it's going to be about mirroring and politics and then the apocalypse.

Harry's become a high-end middleweight. It is no longer worth trying to take him out via slugging match. It'll go badly even if you win.

So the arena his enemies target him in changes.

Mirror Mirror will be about him against an alternate Harry. I'm sure this alternate Harry has embraced powerful upgrades like a low-level Darkhallow or similar, and he's been able to overcome other alternate Harrys by outclassing them- and "our" Harry is the first one on his power level. If it's Highlander rules, our Harry needs to convince alt Harry to take the hit. I'm veering towards alt Harry doesn't have a Maggie or lost his. Harry ends up with some artifact or something he lost restored, like his kinetic energy rings or fancy shield bracelet. Maybe the classic Maggie/Bonea has the gun on the two of them.

Next book will be politics, and needing to fight, say, Langtry where Langtry excels.

Then the Apocalypse, where it's not he can't deal with any threat, but it's the equivalent of 16 Ethnius striking at once and he can only take them 1:1.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 07:53:44 PM »
But does anyone really know he has or has access to ALL of that, other than the readers? and himself, of course.
The White Council officially knows about the island and ley line.  The Gray Council knows about Bob and Amoracchius from Changes.  Seems likely that at least Vadderung knows about the items from Hades vault, given his habit of knowing things.  Someone recognized Margaret's necklace in BG (can't recall who at the moment).  The Eye of Balor is highly suspected.  Everyone saw the Little Folk answer his call.

I'd say it should be very obvious to everyone that he's OP.

It certainly makes one understand why the White Council is afraid of him. Wait until they hear about the engagement!
Poor Carlos.  If only he'd been a little more understanding, Harry might have let him take a nap with the Shroud for a bit.

Which is why it's going to be about mirroring and politics and then the apocalypse.

Harry's become a high-end middleweight. It is no longer worth trying to take him out via slugging match. It'll go badly even if you win.

So the arena his enemies target him in changes.

Mirror Mirror will be about him against an alternate Harry. I'm sure this alternate Harry has embraced powerful upgrades like a low-level Darkhallow or similar, and he's been able to overcome other alternate Harrys by outclassing them- and "our" Harry is the first one on his power level. If it's Highlander rules, our Harry needs to convince alt Harry to take the hit. I'm veering towards alt Harry doesn't have a Maggie or lost his. Harry ends up with some artifact or something he lost restored, like his kinetic energy rings or fancy shield bracelet. Maybe the classic Maggie/Bonea has the gun on the two of them.

Next book will be politics, and needing to fight, say, Langtry where Langtry excels.

Then the Apocalypse, where it's not he can't deal with any threat, but it's the equivalent of 16 Ethnius striking at once and he can only take them 1:1.
I think we've got Mirror Mirror, the wrestling book, and maybe two to three more casefiles before the BAT.  Should be interesting to see where things end up, but I'm wondering how long it'll be before he ends up becoming the Baron of Chicago himself.  I figured Marcone would last until the BAT, playing the Uther to Harry's Merlin, but I'm not so sure now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:56:27 PM by Griffyn612 »

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 07:56:40 PM »
Someone recognized Margaret's necklace in BG (can't recall who at the moment).
The Erlking, I think. When Harry said she was his mom, he made a comment about how that explained some things about Harry & Susan and the Eebs crashing his place in "Changes."

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 08:02:07 PM »
The Erlking, I think. When Harry said she was his mom, he made a comment about how that explained some things about Harry & Susan and the Eebs crashing his place in "Changes."
Right.  So things are known by most.  And you know how the magical community just loves to share info and rumor.

Wait, they don't?  Well still.  I think some of that word will be shared.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 08:02:39 PM »
The White Council officially knows about the island and ley line.  The Gray Council knows about Bob and Amoracchius from Changes.  Seems likely that at least Vadderung knows about the items from Hades vault, given his habit of knowing things.  Someone recognized Margaret's necklace in BG (can't recall who at the moment).  The Eye of Balor is highly suspected.  Everyone saw the Little Folk answer his call.

I'd say it should be very obvious to everyone that he's OP.
Poor Carlos.  If only he'd been a little more understanding, Harry might have let him take a nap with the Shroud for a bit.
I think we've got Mirror Mirror, the wrestling book, and maybe two to three more casefiles before the BAT.  Should be interesting to see where things end up, but I'm wondering how long it'll be before he ends up becoming the Baron of Chicago himself.  I figured Marcone would last until the BAT, playing the Uther to Harry's Merlin, but I'm not so sure now.

The WoJ on reincarnation - I don't like the idea of Harry being Merlin, unless Marcone is the reincarnated Arthur.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 08:07:10 PM »
The WoJ on reincarnation - I don't like the idea of Harry being Merlin, unless Marcone is the reincarnated Arthur.
I don't really mean reincarnation or anything, I just mean that the parallels between them are very Uther/Merlin, with one being an asshole leader of men and one being the outcast wizard that has to work with him until a more suitable leader comes along to replace him. 

Offline Eleyctra

• Posty McPostington
  • A humble artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 08:17:20 PM »
Wait, what was the info on the wrestling book? I heard it once years ago, but thought Jim was just joking. Do we have any extra info on it?
The written word stands between memory & oblivion.Without books as our anchors,we're cast adrift,neither teaching nor learning.They're windows on the past,mirrors on the present,& prisms reflecting possible futures.Books are lighthouses erected in the dark sea of time.
Jeffery Robbins-Gargoyles S2E4

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 08:18:03 PM »
Right.  So things are known by most.  And you know how the magical community just loves to share info and rumor.

Wait, they don't?  Well still.  I think some of that word will be shared.
To be fair, Eb and Odin were there at the same time. Granted, Eb knew, but in the (unlikely) event that old One Eye didn't, well, he does now. :)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »

Yes and no, as far as the island goes, when Harry tells Eb in Peace Talks he could always go and live on the island.  Eb makes the comment about how most of the Council hasn't a clue of what the island is.  I think so far only Rashid and Eb know what it really is about, at least in print.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 04:24:36 AM »
Wait, what was the info on the wrestling book? I heard it once years ago, but thought Jim was just joking. Do we have any extra info on it?
Not much beyond it's a battle of the various Gods and we will learn a bit more about them. I suspect it will be a bit ridiculous and dramatic, of course.
I do hope Jim does it well because it could come off as cheesy and then it would be really boring.

Yes and no, as far as the island goes, when Harry tells Eb in Peace Talks he could always go and live on the island.  Eb makes the comment about how most of the Council hasn't a clue of what the island is.  I think so far only Rashid and Eb know what it really is about, at least in print.
Per WOJ, the Senior Council know about Demonreach's true nature (come on, they wouldn't be SC if they didn't know big stuff). They just were too afraid individually to claim it as it would give the rest of them a chance to call the person who claimed it a traitor and have them killed. But they also need the firepower apparently that the island represents, and because they assume Harry only claimed it because he seems just so stupid to them, they tolerated him being Warden. Might not anymore...

In any case, Harry isn't OP. Not by a long shot. Yeah, he has a bunch of tools. But that just means he can play in the big boy league. If he isn't on Demonreach, if he is separated from his Arma Christi, if he runs out of magic etc. Yes he has allies, but so do his enemies. Arguably, they have scarier ones. And Kincaid showed that at the end of the day a bullet from over a mile away is effective enough (which fits right into Jim's whole "humans are actually scary because technology" thing...)

Yes, if Harry goes gunning for someone or a group of someones he can be a real terror. But even Ethniu despite all her preparation and weapons and allies was defeated. At the end of the day, there will always be someone uniquely suited to beating Harry. So Harry's best bet isn't to try and take on everyone. Just the ones he can manage. Of course, life isn't always so easy like that...

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 05:16:49 AM »
As of now, Harry has, in his possession or access to, the following:
  • A prison of gods, demigods, demons, monsters, and other assorted things, which he can (apparently) release and control, in part or in whole, at his whim.
  • Access to a dark lay line source that he could potentially tap with preparation for a spell or spells, similar to how the Denarians used it.
  • The Sword of Love.
  • The Spear of Destiny.
  • The Placard of Christ.
  • The Shroud of Turin.
  • The Crown of Thorns.
  • The Eye of Balor.
  • Castle Wyvern Dresden.
  • The Winter Knight mantle.
  • Third+ Generation Wizard bloodline.
  • Margaret's Knowledge of Ways.
  • Bob 'Marty Stu' the Skull.
  • A defacto army of tens of thousands of Little Folk.

He's related to, best friends with, or engaged/married to
  • The Blackstaff.
  • The Sword of Hope bearer.
  • The Sword of Faith bearer.
  • The Winter Lady.
  • The Winter Queen.
  • The (secret) White Queen.

Am I forgetting anything? 

Seriously, he's got a ton of crap.  That's not even counting his friendly acquaintances (Uriel, Vadderung, Erlking), his middling power-level friends (Thomas, a pack of Werewolves, River), and his potential resource of professional hires (Goodman, Binder, Kincaid).

I feel like at this point, if Harry were to start wearing the Shroud as a cape (to help heal him on the go), he might be unstoppable.  And if he were to get the Blackstaff like many speculate, then what could possibly stop him?  Other than an iron-rich waterfall?
He's probably getting tons of magic artifacts because they're much easier to take away as needed for the plot compared to boosts in skill or raw power.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 05:30:13 AM »
He's probably getting tons of magic artifacts because they're much easier to take away as needed for the plot compared to boosts in skill or raw power.
That reminds me, he's got Soulfire too.