Author Topic: Murphy (BG spoilers) (also some thoughts on the book overall)  (Read 25394 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy (BG spoilers) (also some thoughts on the book overall)
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2020, 02:32:36 AM »
Only problem is that Jim said no power ups for Murphy. Valkyrie would be a powerup. So no Valkyrie powers for Murphy. And keep her out of the books for now. Harry needs to learn to think and work without her. He's almost always had her as an adviser.

Thank you, yes, and what is more so many that are now arguing for he to be a Valkyrie, used to sing the praises of Murphy for being a vanilla human sounding board for Harry. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2020, 02:48:38 AM »
Thank you, yes, and what is more so many that are now arguing for he to be a Valkyrie, used to sing the praises of Murphy for being a vanilla human sounding board for Harry.
No power ups for Murphy does not mean no power ups offered, it only means no power ups accepted. It was not in character for Murphy to accept Gard’s offer in Aftermath.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2020, 04:11:20 AM »
No power ups for Murphy does not mean no power ups offered, it only means no power ups accepted. It was not in character for Murphy to accept Gard’s offer in Aftermath.

Right, but what she said and what I've been reading, some of the people that wanted her to stay the non-superpower assisted person now want her, now that she's dead, to come back as a powered up Valkyrie. Can't have it both ways. Leave her be for now and have her come back at the end all healed up and ready for a fight.

Oh, and to push some buttons in a laugh, she comes back having started a physical relationship with Hendricks.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2020, 04:39:04 AM »
Right, but what she said and what I've been reading, some of the people that wanted her to stay the non-superpower assisted person now want her, now that she's dead, to come back as a powered up Valkyrie. Can't have it both ways. Leave her be for now and have her come back at the end all healed up and ready for a fight.

Oh, and to push some buttons in a laugh, she comes back having started a physical relationship with Hendricks.

A couple of people are saying, in this thread, she could still eventually promote to Valkyrie.

Most of the argument is about Gard's previous offer of becoming a security consultant, and whether that was code for assuming a Valkyrie mantle.

Murphy refused Gard's offer, but when she died it was prime Einherjar material.

So, Gard offered to let her go to Officer Training School, Murphy refused, but she got drafted as a grunt. The implication is that mortals ascebd to become Valkyries, but only the dead can become Einherjar.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2020, 05:16:46 AM »
Only problem is that Jim said no power ups for Murphy. Valkyrie would be a powerup. So no Valkyrie powers for Murphy. And keep her out of the books for now. Harry needs to learn to think and work without her. He's almost always had her as an adviser.

She's an Einherjar right now already, so that "rule" of "no power ups" is, obviously, kaputt. As for the latter, I disagree. Having support by this friends is what makes Harry strong, especially if they are well capable of calling him out on his tendency to beat himself up emotionally and for his occasional arrogance.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 05:42:38 AM by magnuskn »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2020, 11:21:49 AM »
She's an Einherjar right now already, so that "rule" of "no power ups" is, obviously, kaputt. As for the latter, I disagree. Having support by this friends is what makes Harry strong, especially if they are well capable of calling him out on his tendency to beat himself up emotionally and for his occasional arrogance.

Einherjars have no powers, they are just kick ass warriors, but the giant had no problem with them, come to think of it, Lara had no problem with one of them either.

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2020, 12:13:22 PM »
Einherjars have no powers, they are just kick ass warriors, but the giant had no problem with them, come to think of it, Lara had no problem with one of them either.

I'm pretty sure that she'll be restored to peak physical power as one of them and she also got some sweet immortality out of the deal. So, yeah, power-up achieved.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »

He may be stronger with them, but take them away any he will become stronger without them. Harry needs to grow in strength. So take away support to make him grow and give it back in the end to make him even stronger after he has grown.

I'm pretty sure that she'll be restored to peak physical power as one of them and she also got some sweet immortality out of the deal. So, yeah, power-up achieved.

Peak physical is where she was at in SG so no power up there. And Einherjar are not immortal, they died in PT and BG. Wereguild was paid for their deaths

Edit: fixed a mistake. I said BG instead of SG for peak physical performance. Thanks for pointing it out.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 01:46:48 PM by bigdangmoose »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »
He may be stronger with them, but take them away any he will become stronger without them. Harry needs to grow in strength. So take away support to make him grow and give it back in the end to make him even stronger after he has grown.

Peak physical is where she was at in BG so no power up there. And Einherjar are not immortal, they died in PT and BG. Wereguild was paid for their deaths
According to legend they die but get resurrected again on time for the big party at night.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »

Agree to disagree. I think he grows way better with the support of his friends, otherwise he begins to wallow in arrogant self-pity.

Peak physical is where she was at in BG so no power up there. And Einherjar are not immortal, they died in PT and BG. Wereguild was paid for their deaths

Uh, not sure which two last books you read, but Murphy was far from "peak physical condition", after the mauling she got from Nicodemus. Einherjar are immortal in the sense that they don't age anymore. Not immortal in the sense that they can't die again. Well, it seems, in the Dresden-verse. No guarantees that they are not able to come back again and again, like in the Magnus Chase books from Rick Riordan. We have no absolute certainty yet on how they function in the Dresden-verse.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2020, 01:41:00 PM »
Uh, not sure which two last books you read, but Murphy was far from "peak physical condition", after the mauling she got from Nicodemus. Einherjar are immortal in the sense that they don't age anymore. Not immortal in the sense that they can't die again. Well, it seems, in the Dresden-verse. No guarantees that they are not able to come back again and again, like in the Magnus Chase books from Rick Riordan. We have no absolute certainty yet on how they function in the Dresden-verse.

Yes, a bunch of them were slaughtered in Battle Ground, but nothing was said about whether they go back to Valhalla, party, and return to fight another day or not. 

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2020, 01:51:18 PM »
That's why I said something about the wereguild. I don't know if it would have to be paid if they are just able to come back.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2020, 01:59:24 PM »
That's why I said something about the wereguild. I don't know if it would have to be paid if they are just able to come back.

I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that any wereguild is only paid after the first death.
Remember what Gard said, that Murphy would not return until she has faded from all living memory.  So when they return, their immediate family and friends are dead, so no, no wereguild paid a second or third time.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2020, 02:25:36 PM »
Yes, a bunch of them were slaughtered in Battle Ground, but nothing was said about whether they go back to Valhalla, party, and return to fight another day or not.
They certainly fought as if dead was only the start of a new party.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2020, 02:32:40 PM »
I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that any wereguild is only paid after the first death.
Remember what Gard said, that Murphy would not return until she has faded from all living memory.  So when they return, their immediate family and friends are dead, so no, no wereguild paid a second or third time.

Marcone was paid for their deaths in PT. They had already been dead once.

They certainly fought as if dead was only the start of a new party.

Ehh, I thought they fought like that because they were fighting their mortal enemies, the giants.