Author Topic: Murphy (BG spoilers) (also some thoughts on the book overall)  (Read 25821 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy (BG spoilers) (also some thoughts on the book overall)
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2020, 02:55:59 PM »
Marcone was paid for their deaths in PT. They had already been dead once.

Ehh, I thought they fought like that because they were fighting their mortal enemies, the giants.
That too but would that be enough?
I think Vadderung can and will ressurect them as long as their shades are available and maybe some bodyparts. It is just the sensible thing to do and the way they fight and the probably mini,al draft nowadays he wouldn’t have that many left by now otherwise.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2020, 04:48:34 PM »
That too but would that be enough?
I think Vadderung can and will ressurect them as long as their shades are available and maybe some bodyparts. It is just the sensible thing to do and the way they fight and the probably mini,al draft nowadays he wouldn’t have that many left by now otherwise.

Nah, it's why Mr. Sunshine and Odin have lunch every year. Part of it is for their fantasy draft. Helps sure up Odin's numbers.  ;D
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2020, 05:28:54 PM »
I think they come back, but it costs something, so a weregild is in order. That's my theory until Jim says otherwise because it fits with the books and the legends.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2020, 05:35:21 PM »
I think they come back, but it costs something, so a weregild is in order. That's my theory until Jim says otherwise because it fits with the books and the legends.

Odin has already paid them well, they've whooped it up in Valhalla for a number of years, when they come back, if there are descendants, they have no clue as to who they were or feel pain if they are killed again.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2020, 05:44:31 PM »
Odin has already paid them well, they've whooped it up in Valhalla for a number of years, when they come back, if there are descendants, they have no clue as to who they were or feel pain if they are killed again.
The weregild doesn't go to their family. It went to Marcone, their lord/employer. I imagine keeping them from a final death costs Odin something. Therefore, it costs those that hire them something for them to die or to replace them.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 19, 2020, 06:27:57 PM »
I think the clearest example/answer to this (though still muddy) is in Changes. Harry comments on seeing some of the men from the deeps. I took that as the ones that survived.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 19, 2020, 07:02:20 PM »
I think the clearest example/answer to this (though still muddy) is in Changes. Harry comments on seeing some of the men from the deeps. I took that as the ones that survived.
I did not attached any meaning to it. It just confirmed those guys from the deep were einherjar.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 19, 2020, 07:19:14 PM »
The weregild doesn't go to their family. It went to Marcone, their lord/employer. I imagine keeping them from a final death costs Odin something. Therefore, it costs those that hire them something for them to die or to replace them.

I don't think so, because without Odin, no Valhalla no Einherjar. Marcone hired them from Odin, so it seems to me that it is Marcone that has to pay if anyone pays, because they are Odin's people in his employ, so Marcone is responsible.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 19, 2020, 09:47:04 PM »
The Fomor paid a weregild to Marcone at the end of PT for killing a bunch of the Einherjar. The Einherjar's family definitely doesn't get paid.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 19, 2020, 10:20:04 PM »
The Fomor paid a weregild to Marcone at the end of PT for killing a bunch of the Einherjar. The Einherjar's family definitely doesn't get paid.

Did they? 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 19, 2020, 10:34:51 PM »
Corb did pay a weregild to Marcone for killing a bunch of his guys. I'm pretty sure the guys were repeatedly described as Einherjar. The paying of the weregild is probably in the last three of four chapters.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 19, 2020, 10:41:07 PM »
Corb did pay a weregild to Marcone for killing a bunch of his guys. I'm pretty sure the guys were repeatedly described as Einherjar. The paying of the weregild is probably in the last three of four chapters.
They should get a bonus for dying. It shows commitment.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 20, 2020, 03:14:30 AM »

Not in Peace Talks, but at the Accords meeting at the end of Battle Ground there was talk of the Fomor compensating the members for paying for the damages to the people of Chicago.  I don't think Corb paid anything, not at this time.  Why would he? At the end of Peace Talks he thought that he and the Titan would walk all over everyone including Marcone.  At the end of Battle Ground he and his people were at war with Marcone and the rest of the members of the Accords. So where is the incentive to pay it?

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2020, 02:32:02 PM »
Nah, it's why Mr. Sunshine and Odin have lunch every year. Part of it is for their fantasy draft. Helps sure up Odin's numbers.  ;D

Maybe as part of the Naughty/Nice discussion?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #134 on: October 20, 2020, 06:49:29 PM »
On the subject of the Einherjar, there's precious little about their powers. For what it's worth, the Paranet Papers' write-up, has:

Powers: None. Really—they gain nothing from
being brought back to this world, except the
chance to fight as a mortal again. They’re very
highly trained combatants, however, with literally
centuries of experience at killing lots of
things. They don’t seem restricted by ancient
practices and are just as good with machine guns
and Kevlar as with axe and mail.
Weaknesses: They’re mortal. It’s possible that
they recover from injury faster than normal
people do, as a result of Odin’s blessing, but
that’s speculative.

The only other real data point we have is how Murphy's sparring partner in Ghost Story doesn't seem at all put out by her breaking his hand, which to me could imply that he expects it to heal up, but it's not dispositive.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast