Author Topic: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]  (Read 56537 times)

Offline Wicked Woodpecker of West

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else... disappointed? [PT/BG spoilers]
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2020, 12:12:51 PM »
I agree that Butters probably is more suitable to speak about Murphy than Michael, overall.
In terms of his Lightsaber - I really liked it in Skin Game as a revelation (though me personally would keep like two books of a gap between destruction of Sword and it's being remade - but I'm a cruel man) - but I do not like how Butcher went to be competent fighter with a blade that should be really unwieldy (Butcher seems to suggest it's easier to use weightless blade - which is bullshit - weight as long as it's well balanced it's great indicator of position for muscular memory - using something that is physically not there is not easy thing - just as using real lightsabers would be hard for human), and without good sources to learn how to use it.

Which brings me to my overall position - there should be extra book between Skin Game and Peace Talks - possibly dealing with Fomor and giving prelude to Peace Talks, but also allowing Butters to train really really hard, or for Murphy to get to cope with her disability seriously - rather than rushing into battle despite them and get killed right away.

It would be even better without Star Wars quotes at all :P
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:18:03 PM by Wicked Woodpecker of West »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2020, 02:00:19 PM »
Which brings me to my overall position - there should be extra book between Skin Game and Peace Talks - possibly dealing with Fomor and giving prelude to Peace Talks, but also allowing Butters to train really really hard, or for Murphy to get to cope with her disability seriously - rather than rushing into battle despite them and get killed right away.
Yes, and six years was way too long a time lapse between books, especially when Peace Talks takes place with in months of Skin Game, intangibles get lost.  I totally agree about Murphy trying to deal with her physical disabilities, but her serious screw up was with a Holy Sword, that screw up got it broken in the first place.  It doesn't matter that it turned out okay in the end, the Blade was remade, a new Knight was named.  The Sword broke because Murphy who claimed to know better than Harry about the Swords, who self proclaimed herself custodian, who was an absolute hypocrite when it came to the use of the Sword of Faith, that is why it got broken.  Remember what Michael says, it isn't about the Sword, it is about the hand that wields it.  That is what Nic read and played off of to get it broken.  Trying to save Harry's life is a nice excuse, except Harry's life really was never in danger.  Deep down after the fact in her hospital bed, Murphy had to have realized that as well.  Yet in Peace Talks and Battle Ground, except for a little physical discomfort, Murphy talks like and acts like nothing had happened to her mentally/emotionally.  And it had, in spades, Nic damaged a hell of a lot more than her body.  Yet we see nothing about that.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2020, 04:57:07 PM »
Yes, and six years was way too long a time lapse between books, especially when Peace Talks takes place with in months of Skin Game, intangibles get lost.  I totally agree about Murphy trying to deal with her physical disabilities, but her serious screw up was with a Holy Sword, that screw up got it broken in the first place.  It doesn't matter that it turned out okay in the end, the Blade was remade, a new Knight was named.  The Sword broke because Murphy who claimed to know better than Harry about the Swords, who self proclaimed herself custodian, who was an absolute hypocrite when it came to the use of the Sword of Faith, that is why it got broken.  Remember what Michael says, it isn't about the Sword, it is about the hand that wields it.  That is what Nic read and played off of to get it broken.  Trying to save Harry's life is a nice excuse, except Harry's life really was never in danger.  Deep down after the fact in her hospital bed, Murphy had to have realized that as well.  Yet in Peace Talks and Battle Ground, except for a little physical discomfort, Murphy talks like and acts like nothing had happened to her mentally/emotionally.  And it had, in spades, Nic damaged a hell of a lot more than her body.  Yet we see nothing about that.

That is an excellent point.  Murphy’s death takes Murphy’s psychological recovery off the table.  I also don’t understand the purpose of introducing Murphy’s dad as a speaking character... after he died... and then taking Murphy off the table.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2020, 05:46:22 PM »
That is an excellent point.  Murphy’s death takes Murphy’s psychological recovery off the table.  I also don’t understand the purpose of introducing Murphy’s dad as a speaking character... after he died... and then taking Murphy off the table.
cause with Murphy sticking around in limbo(a form of it anyway) she has time to go visit her dad in limbo and find out the truth of his death?

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2020, 06:23:19 PM »
cause with Murphy sticking around in limbo(a form of it anyway) she has time to go visit her dad in limbo and find out the truth of his death?

How do... we... get to see or know about that?
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2020, 06:30:38 PM »
Probably that, The_Sibelis, or something that will become relevant in MM.

And yes, WWW, every time that the weight of the sword is mentioned I was intrigued. I have 0 experience with swords but it seems that fighting with essentially a handle in your hand, no weight for the blade, would be a difficult task. Yet, once you get used to it, it is be very convenient, as you don't need to pass a strength check to wield it, you don't get tired, and can be very fast. All very useful for the not so strong adventurer. But still, I wouldn't think that the skills needed to fight with such a weapon should take more than a month. As I said before, I am willing to cut JB some slack as the sword itself could be helping.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2020, 07:28:59 PM »
Probably that, The_Sibelis, or something that will become relevant in MM.

And yes, WWW, every time that the weight of the sword is mentioned I was intrigued. I have 0 experience with swords but it seems that fighting with essentially a handle in your hand, no weight for the blade, would be a difficult task. Yet, once you get used to it, it is be very convenient, as you don't need to pass a strength check to wield it, you don't get tired, and can be very fast. All very useful for the not so strong adventurer. But still, I wouldn't think that the skills needed to fight with such a weapon should take more than a month. As I said before, I am willing to cut JB some slack as the sword itself could be helping.

The Sword has training wheels though, Dina.  You know the little side wheels we put on the bikes of young kids so they can learn to ride without falling over.  In this case, the light saber cannot hurt the innocent, thus Butters can only damage those who need damaging when it comes to fighting.  The rest of the time he knows the rules governing the Swords and is willing to live by them.  Harry is a good example, the Sword could have easily have burnt off his hand at the wrist, it didn't.  It gave him a good burn to wake him up and as a warning.. No skill needed, but as time goes on look for Butters to get better, I bet that Sanya and Michael weren't the best at sword play either starting out.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2020, 07:48:28 PM »
How do... we... get to see or know about that?
well... Heck if I know? Maybe a short story if we're lucky. Just because she's dead doesn't mean she's gone thanks to the GS perspective. Though I do think Dresden will get to see her at least once before the story finishes... I'm still hoping for a resurrection of some sort, but that seems less likely with Odin laying claim to her.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2020, 08:53:14 PM »
The Sword has training wheels though, Dina.  You know the little side wheels we put on the bikes of young kids so they can learn to ride without falling over.  In this case, the light saber cannot hurt the innocent, thus Butters can only damage those who need damaging when it comes to fighting.  The rest of the time he knows the rules governing the Swords and is willing to live by them.  Harry is a good example, the Sword could have easily have burnt off his hand at the wrist, it didn't.  It gave him a good burn to wake him up and as a warning.. No skill needed, but as time goes on look for Butters to get better, I bet that Sanya and Michael weren't the best at sword play either starting out.

Yes, I understand all that, what I don't understand it's why there is a problem with that. Also, it fits Butters gamer profile, there are games where you cannot harm your allies and they can't harm you. So I found it fun. And obviously this property of the Sword will become super useful to kill things, perhaps Nemesis, perhaps the Hunger, I don't know but the sword will be super important in the BAT and perhaps even before that.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2020, 09:53:30 PM »
Yes, I understand all that, what I don't understand it's why there is a problem with that. Also, it fits Butters gamer profile, there are games where you cannot harm your allies and they can't harm you. So I found it fun. And obviously this property of the Sword will become super useful to kill things, perhaps Nemesis, perhaps the Hunger, I don't know but the sword will be super important in the BAT and perhaps even before that.

The sword did more then just protect the innocent from being accidentally hurt.  It actually helped them in the battle.  The sword would pass through them and clean the mud from their eyes, give them a boost of some sort.  I'm thinking this feature is less training wheels and more just the way it is supposed to work.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2020, 10:07:53 PM »
Yes, you are right, Telynn.

well... Heck if I know? Maybe a short story if we're lucky. Just because she's dead doesn't mean she's gone thanks to the GS perspective. Though I do think Dresden will get to see her at least once before the story finishes... I'm still hoping for a resurrection of some sort, but that seems less likely with Odin laying claim to her.

Perhaps we don't need to see it but someone can tell us, from Morty to Uriel. Or, as you said, a short story from her POV. But, as I said, it could be important for MM Murphy too.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2020, 04:51:35 PM »
I've been thinking about why Etri... I think his sister Nfected.

The only way that what Thomas did makes any sense was, as someone else said, if Nemesis hit him really fast and gave him no time to think his way out.  No time to contact Harry.

I just can't imagine what Nemesis said to him to set that up.  Hopefully at some point that will be explained in more detail.
What Sibelis said. That Nemesis was also possessing one of the Svartalves. That it would know if Thomas didn't try his utmost.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2020, 05:20:53 PM »
What Sibelis said. That Nemesis was also possessing one of the Svartalves. That it would know if Thomas didn't try his utmost.
Or Thomas himself is infected. Justine had enough to arrange that if it is subtle enough only a few behaviours are influenced.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2020, 05:26:32 PM »
Or Thomas himself is infected. Justine had enough to arrange that if it is subtle enough only a few behaviours are influenced.

He could be,  he hinted that there was a way to keep Justine safe, more mumbled to himself. Harry didn't pick up on it, he also blew it by thinking Thomas was more worried about being a father than the fact that Justine could die.  Maybe he would have gotten to that point if Carlos hadn't come on scene. 

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2020, 11:00:11 AM »
Wanna feel more disgusted?  Listen to the audiobook and enjoy [severe sarcasm] Marsters interpretation. This is not their best work.
Thanks for the warning, will avoid.
Maybe Spike hated the book as much as we did, and it affected his work? He's normally good value.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.