Author Topic: It's not all about Harry... (Battle Ground Spoilers)  (Read 4138 times)

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
It's not all about Harry... (Battle Ground Spoilers)
« on: October 01, 2020, 10:46:45 AM »
It's easy to get caught up in our first-person narrator and protagonist and think, as he often does (when Michael isn't there to call him out on his unbelievable arrogance) think that it's all about Harry. Chicago's getting destroyed and it's all his fault (why? reasons.). The White Council is scheming to kick him out, again. The Red Court kidnapped his daughter. All him, right?

Wrong.

When the Red Court kidnapped Maggie, and sent some minor hitters to blow up Harry's life, it wasn't about Harry Dresden. He was just a minor bonus. The Red Court plot in Changes was about (1) the Black Council seizing control of the Red Court and (2) killing Ebenezar McCoy with the bloodline curse. Harry and Maggie are the one weakness of the terrifyingly powerful Blackstaff.

I think the latest White Council outrage is the same.

The Senior Council has issued a death warrant for Harry Dresden, ordered the Blackstaff to execute him (on pain of treason), and then suspended the sentence.

To Harry, and to us, this feels like a return to the days of Morgan and the Sword of Damocles hanging over Harry's head. And maybe it is -- maybe we never really understood the point of that, either. Maybe that was all about Ebenezar McCoy too.

Proposed: The new Sword of Damocles isn't hanging over Harry's head at all. It's hanging over Eb's. The other Senior Councilors know Eb won't actually execute Harry. That's the point. If they un-suspend the sentence, it's a way to turn Eb into a Traitor to the White Council. It's a *political* move, probably by the Merlin's faction, to gut one of the main opposing factions in the Council. Harry's not the target, he's Eb's weak spot. And now the Merlin finally has a threat sufficient to keep his attack dog in line.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: It's not all about Harry... (Battle Ground Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 05:05:54 AM »
Interesting theory.

The targeting of Eb makes sense. He clearly is just as big of a thorn in the bad guys plan as Dresden, perhaps more so. I don't think they just stopped after Changes trying to take him out.

However, Harry clearly is a big part of things. And everyone either wishes to have him serve them or kill him, by and large. So I don't think Dresden isn't being targeted too. I do think it's very much about Dresden, but also it's about who they can get to through him. And that list is long.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 05:33:22 AM »
I think it's funny that they might think Eb wouldn't kill Harry, in the epilogue of the same story where Eb fought Harry in earnest and would have accidentally killed him if he hadn't planned ahead.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 06:00:09 AM »
I think it's funny that they might think Eb wouldn't kill Harry, in the epilogue of the same story where Eb fought Harry in earnest and would have accidentally killed him if he hadn't planned ahead.
Intentionally and unintentionally are two different things after all.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Pirate101

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 06:29:23 AM »
Interesting theory.

The targeting of Eb makes sense. He clearly is just as big of a thorn in the bad guys plan as Dresden, perhaps more so. I don't think they just stopped after Changes trying to take him out.

However, Harry clearly is a big part of things. And everyone either wishes to have him serve them or kill him, by and large. So I don't think Dresden isn't being targeted too. I do think it's very much about Dresden, but also it's about who they can get to through him. And that list is long.
The White Council may figure that they can keep both of them on a very tight leash with the current constellation. A suspended death sentence is a sort of a joke, however. You either go through with it or you find another way to express your displeasure. This makes them look like toothless tigers in the eyes of other supernatural players. They are sort of communicatimg: "We'd like to see the guy dead but we daren't kill him."

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 01:47:03 PM »
The White Council may figure that they can keep both of them on a very tight leash with the current constellation. A suspended death sentence is a sort of a joke, however. You either go through with it or you find another way to express your displeasure. This makes them look like toothless tigers in the eyes of other supernatural players. They are sort of communicatimg: "We'd like to see the guy dead but we daren't kill him."

Which says they know they need Harry as Mab said, but their little gold fish bowl isn't suitable for that big a shark.  So they are giving them selves plausible deniability, when the shit hits the fan and Harry is in the middle of it.  I also wouldn't be shocked if one or more were infected, starting sadly with Carlos.  Grief does a lot to a person, true, he lost a lot of friends and had been through a lot from his little tryst with Molly that he hasn't gotten over.  However something seemed very off about him in his last conversation with Harry when he told him he was outlawed.  It was like he had drunk ever drop of the kool aid and chewed the ice and the cup in came in.  Even if Harry had told him everything, what happened still would have happened, Harry isn't responsible for any of that.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 09:14:04 PM »
Intentionally and unintentionally are two different things after all.
Sure, but can you imagine their logic be explained to Harry? And him being like, he killed me that night! And Carlos being like, oh.

Offline Pirate101

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 08:42:39 AM »
...I also wouldn't be shocked if one or more were infected, starting sadly with Carlos.  Grief does a lot to a person, true, he lost a lot of friends and had been through a lot from his little tryst with Molly that he hasn't gotten over.  However something seemed very off about him in his last conversation with Harry when he told him he was outlawed.  It was like he had drunk ever drop of the kool aid and chewed the ice and the cup in came in.  Even if Harry had told him everything, what happened still would have happened, Harry isn't responsible for any of that.
I don't think Carlos is Nemfected atm. He was probably being played by the people who wanted to get rid of Harry to some extent, but I'm afraid that the groundwork for that has been laid some time ago. Harry really wasn't a very good friend to him. He had lied to him on several occasions before, not told him things, not treated him as an equal. Harry always had his reasons, but the fact remains that it was obvious to Carlos that Harry did not trust him completely. And then Molly in Cold Case happened.

From Carlos' pov, it sadly is understandable that he feels betrayed and doesn't trust Harry any more. Former friends can turn into very bitter enemies. This can turn very ugly yet.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 08:47:44 AM by Pirate101 »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 11:58:58 AM »
I don't think Carlos is Nemfected atm. He was probably being played by the people who wanted to get rid of Harry to some extent, but I'm afraid that the groundwork for that has been laid some time ago. Harry really wasn't a very good friend to him. He had lied to him on several occasions before, not told him things, not treated him as an equal. Harry always had his reasons, but the fact remains that it was obvious to Carlos that Harry did not trust him completely. And then Molly in Cold Case happened.

From Carlos' pov, it sadly is understandable that he feels betrayed and doesn't trust Harry any more. Former friends can turn into very bitter enemies. This can turn very ugly yet.

Or Harry was deluding himself about Carlos the whole time.  Eb did warn him that someone he thought was a friend would stab him in the back.  Someone testified to the Council that Harry broke the First Law when he killed a couple of Turtlenecks with magic.  Could have been Christos, but I bet it was Carlos.  He was pushing too hard for information from Harry from the beginning of Peace Talks.  Friends don't do that, they may ask, but not push like he did.  I still think what happened with Molly has colored his whole outlook.  Most likely he blames that on Harry because she was his apprentice.  Blaming Harry for Drakul and the Black Court showing up? For the sixty thousand that died?  That is someone very hurt and off the rails.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 09:39:40 PM »
Or Harry was deluding himself about Carlos the whole time.  Eb did warn him that someone he thought was a friend would stab him in the back.  Someone testified to the Council that Harry broke the First Law when he killed a couple of Turtlenecks with magic.  Could have been Christos, but I bet it was Carlos.  He was pushing too hard for information from Harry from the beginning of Peace Talks.  Friends don't do that, they may ask, but not push like he did.  I still think what happened with Molly has colored his whole outlook.  Most likely he blames that on Harry because she was his apprentice.  Blaming Harry for Drakul and the Black Court showing up? For the sixty thousand that died?  That is someone very hurt and off the rails.
He wouldn't have kept giving Harry chances to talk and trusting him if he was against Harry from the start. He's genuinely worried for Harry by the looks of it combined with some trauma about Winter.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2020, 12:29:43 AM »
I am inclined to agree. But asking a friend to open up and fishing for information is pretty much the same thing.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2020, 03:08:18 AM »
He wouldn't have kept giving Harry chances to talk and trusting him if he was against Harry from the start. He's genuinely worried for Harry by the looks of it combined with some trauma about Winter.
Is he?  He doesn't seem to want to talk on the beach, nor does he seem worried about Harry, or wanting him to talk to him.  That came later..
I am inclined to agree. But asking a friend to open up and fishing for information is pretty much the same thing.

When the Wardens stop the Munstermobile on the way to the Raith Estate, suddenly Carlos is concerned and wants Harry to talk to him as a friend.  Not.  Someone got to Carlos, and he ultimately became the back stabber, but Harry made him work for the knife.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2020, 05:15:15 AM »
Hasn't Jim read the Art Of War or The Godfather? Carlos and the Council are written like idiots or frightened old men. Never tell the enemy what you intend to do. And don't assume your enemy is stupid. Carlos isn't menacing.  He had a bad date and is currently suffering from Post Traumatic Girlfriend Syndrome. He reads as whiny.  The masquerade is broken and the Council doesn't dare push. Irrespective of what the mortal world might do what would happen if the Council shot at Eb and missed?

Jim has said the idea in Changes was to strip Harry of everything. I think for the Reds what went down was primarily a power struggle.  But Maggie made it about Harry.

Has anybody ever made the connection between Village Of The Damned and Ivy?

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2020, 01:20:25 PM »
I am a bit uncertain about this part with Eb. I mean I can't see any way that En would accept killing Harry. So now that the World is getting darker than ever, how smart is it of the white council to throw out one of their best fighters and threaten to throw out their absolute number one fighter?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2020, 05:20:04 PM »
I am a bit uncertain about this part with Eb. I mean I can't see any way that En would accept killing Harry. So now that the World is getting darker than ever, how smart is it of the white council to throw out one of their best fighters and threaten to throw out their absolute number one fighter?
Only if he thought Harry is not Harry anymore but some sort of monster. But he is quite fast thinking so.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]