Author Topic: Battle Ground spoilers: Harry’s pairing. What do you think?  (Read 41235 times)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground spoilers: Harry’s pairing. What do you think?
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2020, 08:31:21 PM »
I was reading post talking about pagans and whether or not it was a defensive term I consider myself a pagan I don't find a defensive what I found fensive is when they said that pagans have no belief system of their own while I certainly do

I mean I think the point they were making is that historically speaking, 'Paganism' began as a pejorative catch-all term made up by Christians for all non-christian religions- the term applied equally to Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Celtic, basically any non-monotheistic religion and it was intentionally derogatory and labelled a vast number of different faiths and beliefs as the same, 'wrong' thing- it was the religious equivalent of calling someone an ill-bred peasant.

This is of course distinct from modern Neo-paganism, which is it's own thing, that happens to have the same name.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2020, 08:39:48 PM »
It was intentionally derogatory and labelled a vast number of different faiths and beliefs as the same, 'wrong' thing- it was the religious equivalent of calling someone an ill-bred peasant.
It was almost literally calling someone a peasant. Peasant is "ultimately from the Latin pagus," according to Wikipedia. Also from Wikipedia:
The term pagan is derived from Late Latin paganus, revived during the Renaissance. Itself deriving from classical Latin pagus which originally meant 'region delimited by markers', paganus had also come to mean 'of or relating to the countryside', 'country dweller', 'villager'; by extension, 'rustic', 'unlearned', 'yokel', 'bumpkin'; in Roman military jargon, 'non-combatant', 'civilian', 'unskilled soldier'.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2020, 12:38:09 AM »
Is she talking about this here in BG?

Thank you Telynn, that is the exact conversation I was unsuccessfully trying to remember.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 01:07:43 AM by StrayDog »

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2020, 04:50:57 AM »
My take on that was that she was talking about the suicide setup back in Changes. That's what she went through, loving Harry and then him being taken away from her with his death.

Absolutely

Oh she is simply too old for him. ::)

Is she older than Luccio (about 200-210 when she was dating Harry)?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2020, 05:23:51 AM »
Is she older than Luccio (about 200-210 when she was dating Harry)?
I'm pretty sure Lara is much older than Luccio. Lara remembers Luccio's wild youth. Lara is Papa Raith's oldest child.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2020, 05:35:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure Lara is much older than Luccio. Lara remembers Luccio's wild youth. Lara is Papa Raith's oldest child.
  I think Lara is way older than Luccio, maybe by a couple of hundred years.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2020, 05:42:39 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if she was 1,000 years old. Is there anything form outside the novels and short stories on her age?

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2020, 05:44:50 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if she was 1,000 years old. Is there anything form outside the novels and short stories on her age?

Not specifically, but 1,000 years sounds about right, for some reason it sticks in my head from a story, but I cannot remember which one it was.

Offline bigdangmoose

• Posty McPostington
  • "The Rack will be with us" - Molly
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2020, 12:22:02 PM »
Absolutely

Thank you vultur. I thought I read that correctly.
You still have Zoidberg, YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2020, 01:27:14 PM »
I think we can all agree that out of Luccio, Lara, Mab and Molly, Molly is by far the one that comes closest to Harrys age and maturity level. Even if we "just" pretended that the other three were 100 years old.

Offline StrayDog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2020, 01:34:07 PM »
Thank you vultur. I thought I read that correctly.

It seemed to me that she was referring to the whole relationship at the time. The best friend who realizes that those feeling will not be reciprocated and decided to get on with life. Still has feeling for the other but has put them aside for the sake of the friendship. Of course it is all part and parcel to the suicide. I never read it that she was over Harry, just that she had moved on from actively trying so hard.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 01:05:22 AM by StrayDog »

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2020, 03:27:28 PM »

Yes. Ish.

Papa Raith paints portraits of the mothers of his children. The oldest portrait is from, I think, the 16th century.

Offline Rigil Kent

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • GURPS: Red Sky (Dresden Files RPG)
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2020, 03:36:09 PM »
Papa Raith has also shown no hesitation to whack his kids if they step out of line, so it would not surprise me - in fact, I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case - to learn that Lara is now his eldest child, with him having eaten or straight up murdered the previous eldest ones. As to her age, I think BrainFireBob has it closest with her being a little older than the Merlin and Eb, but nowhere near 1000.
"My plan is sheer elegance in its simplicity."

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2020, 04:11:36 PM »
Yes. Ish.

Papa Raith paints portraits of the mothers of his children. The oldest portrait is from, I think, the 16th century.
Portrait painting as we understand it isn't much older

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2020, 04:51:24 PM »
Portrait painting as we understand it isn't much older
He might have a hall with painted statues somewhere in Toscane but painting statues went out of fashion.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]