Author Topic: Vampires  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Vampires
« on: October 01, 2020, 11:32:21 AM »
In one of Jim's most recent Q and As, he says Soulfire and Necromancy have been used together before and created a very disturbing result. He says we should be able to work out what and that they are still running around.

Vampires, in particular Black Court seem likely. But could also be White. Thoughts?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 11:37:04 AM »
In one of Jim's most recent Q and As, he says Soulfire and Necromancy have been used together before and created a very disturbing result. He says we should be able to work out what and that they are still running around.

Vampires, in particular Black Court seem likely. But could also be White. Thoughts?
Is this the Mysterious Galaxy q&a or a different one?

EDIT: It was the Barnes and Noble q&a

https://www.facebook.com/barnesandnoble/videos/1655260961290955

• The Fallen can be infected but between their generally slippery nature and the lack of free will to act they make really bad targets who can't do much. He compared it to sticking your hand inside a plastic bag.
  • Marcone has absolutely rocketed past Harry in skill, Harry might be able to pull off the teleporting stunt Marone did in a few centuries.
  • Saints were made with faith, the church doesn't really do it anymore because they decided it was creepy. This is the nice version of the darkhallow mentioned in Welcome to the Jungle.
  • Thomas probably can't wield Amoriacchus, maybe one of the other ones.
  • The first of several short stories should be coming up in a few weeks.
  • Multiple dimensions metaphysics obviously coming up in Mirror Mirror. Jim is not sure if all of his series are in the same universe or not.
  • Soulfire can be used with necromancy, it has dire results. The results of one such case are commonly running around in the dresden files.
  • There's been about half a dozen wizards in total who've gotten soulfire. Regular humans don't get it.
  • For Mouse there's plans for a three part novella (first being presumably Zoo Day) planned. The second part will be Mouse and Cerberus going off on an adventure together.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 12:37:38 PM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Pirate101

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 01:46:11 PM »
Ghouls is also a possibility I think. They are connected to graveyards.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 02:01:01 PM »
"The first of several short stories should be coming up in a few weeks."

Oooh.

Re: Soulfire and Necromancy...

Perhaps the Uber-ghuls -- the ones from White Night that work with Cowl and can regenerate, even from bits of goo on the floor.

But Black Court seems more likely -- if someone can explain how Drakul or Dracula could have gotten their hands on soulfire.

If it is the Black Court, that might mean Mavra's magics are a necro-twisted variant of soulfire -- which might explain how the barbed-wire magic in Grave Peril was damaging souls.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 02:03:55 PM »
"The first of several short stories should be coming up in a few weeks."

Oooh.

Re: Soulfire and Necromancy...

Perhaps the Uber-ghuls -- the ones from White Night that work with Cowl and can regenerate, even from bits of goo on the floor.

But Black Court seems more likely -- if someone can explain how Drakul or Dracula could have gotten their hands on soulfire.

If it is the Black Court, that might mean Mavra's magics are a necro-twisted variant of soulfire -- which might explain how the barbed-wire magic in Grave Peril was damaging souls.

Yeah, I thought that the gift of soul fire to Harry was unique to him because he was able to throw off the shadow of Lasciel.  Some how this cheapens it..  Could they have gotten a version of soul fire from Lucifer? 

Offline Dragen3

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 03:46:29 PM »
If the Results of One Case of Soulfire and Necromancy being used together is running around Drakul seems most likely but I would not be surprised if that is Kincaid.

If multiple cases are running around that Uber-Ghouls seems most likely.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 03:56:53 PM »
White Court Vampires.

1) They have the same kind of silvery color that soulfire gives Harry's magic.
2) They're "truly" alive, so if the original was necromancy+Soulfire back to life, it was more "real" than necromancy- which is what Soulfire does
3) They feed on bits of soul/emotion (Soul regrows from emotion), as does their Hunger
4) If their Hunger runs out of "buffered" or "gas tank" or "digested" soul, it goes after their own soul
5) So, posit: The original White Court vampire was someone resurrected by a mix of soulfire/necromancy. They have the trope superhuman abilities of the wakened dead, and super-healing, as if the original resurrection spell is still actively trying to revive them, but their soul is being eaten to feed the process. They have the ability to steal/digest soul from humans to replace this loss and even overfill themselves; they additionally have the magic ability to induce "growth" of extra soul (they can generate intense emotions in their victims) that they can then eat, much like Thomas eating Justine's mania so she can be normal.

Sufficiently powerful feelings in a nascent WC vampire are enough energy to complete/ritually complete the spell, leaving them fully restored.

As a WAG

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 04:00:41 AM »
Yeah, White Court certainly have a lot of arguments for them. Except, the Necromancy angle. I just don't feel they have any sort of "returned from the dead" stuff about them.

Hence why Black Court is still my pick. Not sure what that says about Drakul or Dracula. One of them has Soulfire perhaps?

I don't see it being the Uber Ghoul, simply because they arn't weird enough. And again, not enough "raised from the dead" theme.

Thank you, TheCuriousFan for that summation. Plenty of good material in that Q&A!

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 02:37:14 PM »
That's kind of my thinking. I think the progenitor of the White Court was returned from the dead, fully alive.

Ish.

If I'm right, then the Hunger is the still-running resurrection spell, and drawing on their Hunger is simply brutalizing their body- a la the Winter Mantle- and having their Hunger heal it.

Offline SoftManacles4MagiHackers

• Lurker
  • Wizard Modernization Activist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 04:59:02 PM »
he said the results of ONE case are running around commonly throughout the series. so one instance of soulfire. that would rule out Drakul as we just saw him for the first time, and no one said he specifically was getting more active, jus the supernatural realm.

that would make the case for the white court stronger, but I don't think that is the case either. one case to create an entire species, who recreates. I see them more as a chemical reaction than recreation. a chemical can have a reaction chain, which can be stopped, ie, child falls in love. recreation requires two, and both contribute to the outcome. with the court, all that matters is that one parent is vampire. If it is not the case, I would like to present my own wag. Marva is the case. some theories point at marva being Morgana.
 Many theories say the merlin the most parralels with harry, so he might have had soulfire. some stories of morgana said she was his lover. perhaps merlin resurected her with soulfire, and saw himself do something so terrible, or he ruined a grace he was holding, so he locked himself up on demonreach. Morgana as Marva and the necromancy incident would also fit the specifications jim has. she has appeared in several books, including BattleGround, and was mentioned as active in others. If merlin locked himself up afterwards, he may still not be the British prisoner, as said by Jim. he would undoubtedly consider himself as severely evil, even if he wasn't, and lock himself far away from the entrance anyways. perhaps the most contained area possible. that would also explain how merlin is extremely relevant to the plot, and that's why jim never goes into detail about it, ie the story of the war for humanities memory, which is not relevant, so he can diverge at will.

perhaps he comes back later in the books to undo the spell that created marva. that could also explain marvas white council level abilities. plenty of black court could have had an opportunity to sneak attack and turn white council members. yet her abilities were seen as unheard of by harries allies when he took down her scourge. that could be explained as the act being more real, thus allowing her abilities other Blambires can. Even the wizards they took in battlegrounds were not feared for what they could do as turned, just that they were turned. another wag i have is that blampires have inate talant, like all humans, but it is extremely toned down, since magic is the manipulation of the forces of life/creation. therefore, a Blampire could only have wizard abilities if soulfire countered that in their creation. perhaps in use by a starborn was also a requirement.
 I think we could solve this case easily if we came up with a list of those that have or had soulfire, and known or speculated interests/attachments/allies/connections/events.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 05:03:36 PM by SoftManacles4MagiHackers »
Gifted teenagers should have developed some DIY technological protection by now. Give me my internet!!!