Author Topic: Duopoly one if the worst “books” in the series-SPOILERS  (Read 9119 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Duopoly one if the worst “books” in the series-SPOILERS
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 04:54:30 PM »
Less battle. Jim can write good dialog too.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Thana†os

• Participant
  • "You get what everyone gets...you get a lifetime."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 04:58:19 PM »
aww you edited it. That's no fun :)

and I think he writes a pretty good balance of description/action/dialogue.

I have to admit, I teared up a bit for Murphy.
I got angry and threw the book against the wall when Susan got bitten. I left it there for a month before I picked it up and finished it.

So, I think he does a good job overall.

Not all of his books lately have had great editing, but I don't really fault him for that.
"You're just jealous because the Voices speak to me!"

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 05:05:36 PM »
I liked that scene with Harry and Gard at the end mourning their lovers. Gard probably was right about Murphy but it still hurts. For her as well.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »
I liked that scene with Harry and Gard at the end mourning their lovers. Gard probably was right about Murphy but it still hurts. For her as well.

Actually rereading Heorot before Battle Ground came out, I thought Harry and Gard made an excellent combo.  I think her practical warrior woman attitude played well with Harry and what he is about to face.

Offline gawime

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2020, 05:23:56 PM »
Don’t get me wrong...I’m glad to get Dresden back, especially after a long hiatus. There were some strong points to the story, especially Battle Ground. But Characters acting out of character and  dubious or incoherent plot points all took me out of the story. Rather than being immersed in Dresdens world, I was constantly booted out by the glaring flaws in the storytelling.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2020, 05:27:35 PM »
Don’t get me wrong...I’m glad to get Dresden back, especially after a long hiatus. There were some strong points to the story, especially Battle Ground. But Characters acting out of character and  dubious or incoherent plot points all took me out of the story. Rather than being immersed in Dresdens world, I was constantly booted out by the glaring flaws in the storytelling.

Yes, I felt that way in both Peace Talks and Battle Ground.  Rudolph for one, did he just go nuts or why would he kill Murphy in cold blood after she saved everyone by killing the giant?

Offline riff.freelance

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2020, 05:49:13 PM »
Yes, I felt that way in both Peace Talks and Battle Ground.  Rudolph for one, did he just go nuts or why would he kill Murphy in cold blood after she saved everyone by killing the giant?

I honestly don't think it was "in cold blood," I think the massive screw-up just screwed up again. I think it was an accidental shot... This is terrible, and ugly, because it means Murph was a casualty of something so damn small. This should play out in an interesting way, but honestly is pretty ugh. I want to see Rudolph scarred by this, don't Dresden's reaction, but his stupid mistake.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2020, 05:53:46 PM »
I honestly don't think it was "in cold blood," I think the massive screw-up just screwed up again. I think it was an accidental shot... This is terrible, and ugly, because it means Murph was a casualty of something so damn small. This should play out in an interesting way, but honestly is pretty ugh. I want to see Rudolph scarred by this, don't Dresden's reaction, but his stupid mistake.
Possible, or he has lost it mentally, Rudolph seemed very paranoid, and the Fomor invasion only made it worse.  Someone that paranoid with a loaded gun, safety off in his hand was bound to kill someone. Since the focus of his ire was Murphy, she became the target for all of his fears and she died for it.

Offline Thana†os

• Participant
  • "You get what everyone gets...you get a lifetime."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 05:54:22 PM »
He was a normal person who was basically confronted with the Supernatural and just cracked up. That doesn't make it any better, but some people just can't handle anything out of "normal"

Cops are an interesting breed too. Some of them are very steeped in the "nitty gritty" I work with cops and I'm in IT and tech and you'd think some of the things I show them or talk to them about IS magic and it's incomprehensible to them. Some are adaptable and just fine, but others - are not.

Unfortunately we've seen this scene played out before in plenty of TV shows and movies where the panicking person with the gun accidentally shoots someone important to the Hero. I saw that coming a mile away when the scene started - unfortunately predictable.
"You're just jealous because the Voices speak to me!"

Offline djerf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2020, 07:39:05 PM »
I read Thomas condition as he was brought to the absolute edge and kept there. The demon took over while Thomas died slowly and it just became a bad spiral where if they fed thomas the demon would heal quicker and take up more space than the human part. Basically magical cancer.

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 07:42:48 PM »
I read Thomas condition as he was brought to the absolute edge and kept there. The demon took over while Thomas died slowly and it just became a bad spiral where if they fed thomas the demon would heal quicker and take up more space than the human part. Basically magical cancer.

Lara explained it though in Peace Talks.  This is how a White Court Vamp dies, the Hunger cannot live on it's own.  She said this is how Lord Raith is dying, he cannot feed on others so his Hunger is slowly feeding on him and killing him.  Margaret must have known this when she threw her curse.

Offline Xinkc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2020, 05:31:30 PM »

It was Chekhov's poor trigger discipline. Every time we see Rudolph this book it's mentioned. It was pretty obvious by the second time that the idiot would kill someone because of it.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2020, 07:10:24 PM »
... it feels like chunks of some stuff were missing, especially at the end. It felt a bit rushed, so I wonder where it will pick up at the next book.
Jim said he's going to release microfictions about Harry's year of mourning that mostly center on political functions.

The whole sneeze an anvil thing is prep work.
I agree. It's a disease child wizards get. They're too young to learn from it. Harry isn't.

Yeah, that may be what the issue was...how would Thomas feel if he fed and killed someone.
I think we've found a use for Rudolph.

Offline Arha Ilene Masaari

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2020, 09:30:34 PM »
I find, as I listen to Marsters spin this story, that I am getting wearier and wearier. It's a brutal book that is filled with slaughter and hopelessness aside from a few points. I'm at 31 right now and I just want it over with.

I pretty much figured out the Justine bit, so that comes as no surprise. I guess I'll check back in with you guys when Mab does her thing with Harry and Lara. Pointedly not looking forward to that.

Harry needs a vacation from all of this. A really long vacation.

I've never been so exhausted in my life getting through a book.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2020, 01:05:02 AM »
Exhibit A) Thomas. If Justine is nemfected, in what way does throwing your life away help in any way shape or form. Even if it was just a gambit to buy some time, he didn’t tell anyone about the situation, so how can he reasonably expect his child and love to be saved? Thomas is many things, but not dumb. A big part of the plot hinges on Thomas being dumb.
The point wasn't, "Thomas thought that attacking Etri would save Justine and the kid."

The point was, "Nemfected Justine told him, 'Kill Etri, or Justine and your baby die.'"

He didn't think it would help. He knew it wouldn't. But he had to do it or else Justine and the kid die. It's basically a hostage situation.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast