Author Topic: Duopoly one if the worst “books” in the series-SPOILERS  (Read 9160 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Duopoly one if the worst “books” in the series-SPOILERS
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2020, 08:02:16 PM »

The Outsider Walker named "He Who Walks Beside" is commonly known as Nemesis. He's a specific Outsider, who specializes in infiltration. I rather think Demonreach was setup to deny him access to hosts he'd otherwise infected, and therefore free to deny their natures.

I know that, but was it a Walker who infested Cat Sith?  No Walker or Outsider was mentioned there, only Nemeses. 

Harry does say he thinks Shark Face got to him and that is how he got infected.  But that is all, no Outsiders.. Harry further says; on page 427 of Cold Days.

"Like Mab wouldn't have figured it out," I said. "Like she did when you infected Lea."

Or later page 503 Cold Days

"It was the knife," Mab said.
"Knife?"
"Morgana's athame," Mab said in a neutral tone--but her eyes were far away.  "The one given to her by the Red Court at Bianca's masquerade.  That is how Leanansidhe was tainted--and your godmother spread it to Maeve before I could set it right."

So, no mention of Lea or Maeve being possessed by a Walker or Outsider, merely that both got infected by contact with Morgana's athame which was tainted.  Some how Sharkface an Outsider
managed to get Cat Sith infected, however he never possessed Cat Sith.   So Justine is infected and possessed? 

My theory, just as the plan was to infest the more important members of the Winter Court to spy and undermine.. The same plan was to undermine the White Court.  Bianca wasn't blind, she may have observed the closeness between Justine and Thomas, so just as the knife was used to get to the Winter Court, Justine could eventually be used to get to the White Court.

Offline Telynn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2020, 08:11:29 PM »
I wonder if being imprisoned in Demonreach for a time will 'cure' an infected being? 

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2020, 08:17:28 PM »
I know that, but was it a Walker who infested Cat Sith?  No Walker or Outsider was mentioned there, only Nemeses. 

Harry does say he thinks Shark Face got to him and that is how he got infected.  But that is all, no Outsiders.. Harry further says; on page 427 of Cold Days.

Or later page 503 Cold Days

So, no mention of Lea or Maeve being possessed by a Walker or Outsider, merely that both got infected by contact with Morgana's athame which was tainted.  Some how Sharkface an Outsider
managed to get Cat Sith infected, however he never possessed Cat Sith.   So Justine is infected and possessed? 

My theory, just as the plan was to infest the more important members of the Winter Court to spy and undermine.. The same plan was to undermine the White Court.  Bianca wasn't blind, she may have observed the closeness between Justine and Thomas, so just as the knife was used to get to the Winter Court, Justine could eventually be used to get to the White Court.

The infestation would appear to *be* a Walker. It's not a disease they wield.

Much like the cornerhounds are avatars a single being has its hand pressed within with multiple vessels.

Offline sayyadina

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2020, 12:12:52 AM »
The problem I have with the whole is Nemesis just Nemesis or a Walker is that there is no new info. Everything we know to this point is that it is a contagion that infects people. In this as in so many other things...whwre is the world building?

Where is the mystery? The complexity? The plot twists? The descriptions? The emotion? The more I think about it the more I realize how much is just WRONG about this book...how its written and the seeming way critical world & character elements are forgotten.

Case in point....family. Family is everything to Harry. When Susan was turned he burned down a building. He also went pyrofuego when Michael (someone he sees as a surrogate father) was shot. Now that he has the Winter Mantle and all why didn't he loose it even MORE so and let loose a Winter fueled version of pyrofuego after Murphy was killed?

Why is it that the several times Harry just wants to give up and die does he not think once about his daughter? The same daughter he was willing to let himself be turned into the Winter Knight to save before he even knew her. Her presence was more real in Cold Days and Skin Game than here. The thing with Ethniu doesn't count since it was so damn obvious it was fake. I was devastated when Michael was shot in Small Favor. This time I felt absolutely nothing.

Pretty much how the whole book make me feel...just numb. Authors have a specific voice and I'm very used to how he sounds. The problem with this story (Peace Talks + Battle Ground = story) is that most of the time it didn't sound at all like Jim.

Which brings me to something else. Thorned Namshiel was one of the Denarians who imprisoned and tortured Marcone on Demonreach. It doesn't at all ring true that he'd take up that coin voluntarily. Lasciel or Anduriel yes.