Author Topic: Mac [Battle Ground Spoilers]  (Read 6171 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Mac [Battle Ground Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 05:09:43 AM »
Except Rafael isn't a watcher angel, he is an archangel.
Huh? I didn't say he was.

So my scenario is that about 1000 years ago, angelic Mac fell in love with a human woman and they produced Bob. That caused him to fall from grace and transubstantiate into his current form. He's probably in Chicago to keep an eye on his son.
Jim has said that he thought it was obvious who Bob's parents were. So if one is Mac, is the other Mab? Who else do we know from back then?

That's what I've always seen, but this entry for The Book of Giants mentions a dual meaning to the verb rafa, which is supposedly both 'to heal' and 'to tie'.  If so, maybe Jim chose that spelling for a reason.
"To heal" and "to tie" make me think of "binding a wound." Which makes me think about binding a demon.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2020, 07:41:46 AM »
And also of casting out demons as a form of healing.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 02:50:29 PM »
"To heal" and "to tie" make me think of "binding a wound." Which makes me think about binding a demon.
And also of casting out demons as a form of healing.
Exactly. The Book of Giants analysis compares the binding of demons to healing the earth of their infection.

Offline Professor Q

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2020, 06:00:05 PM »
Jim has said that he thought it was obvious who Bob's parents were. So if one is Mac, is the other Mab? Who else do we know from back then?

That's my gut feeling. I don't have any direct evidence, but this exchange from Skin Game is what makes me think they have a past relationship.

Mac, bald, lean, and silent, stood behind the bar in his usual crisp white shirt and spotless apron. When Mab entered, he put down the rag he was using to polish the wooden bar, and bowed at the waist, somehow giving the gesture an accent of courtesy rather than obeisance.
“Barkeep,” Mab replied, and inclined her head considerably more deeply than she had to Nicodemus a few minutes before. “May your patrons be prosperous and honest.”
Mac, as a rule, rarely uttered multi-syllables. Today, he said, “May your scales always return to balance.”
Her mouth quirked at the corner and she said, “Flatterer.”
He smiled and nodded to me. “Harry.”

These are normally two of the most reserved characters in the series, but here it seems like they are flirting. It isn't just Mac's sudden loquaciousness that strikes me as unusual. Mab's response is her equivalent of a teenage girl blushing and giggling. I can't recall either of them behaving quite like this with anyone else.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 06:26:54 PM by Professor Q »

Offline ElJefe81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2020, 08:18:21 PM »
You don't think they're going to use the castle as their safe haven?  The Paranet was already using it as of Ghost Story, with Marcone letting Butters live there, and others come and go with a nursery and everything. 

I could see where it might be a target, and he wouldn't want to jeopardize civilians during a battle.  But he already took civilians in during a battle.

I think they will use the Castle as a safe haven as well, but I think there's a couple of reasons it will stay with Mac: 1) logistically it makes sense to not put all your eggs in one basket (ie overpower the Castle with the placard on top of it's already formidable defenses).  Additionally, you'd have to transfer the placard over to Harry, and Harry already has enough targets on his back, he's not really the best person (at least in the perspective of those living in the Dresden-verse).  Mac on the other hand isn't the high profile target Harry is, and he also has the benefit of giving the Paranet an alternative if the Castle is compromised;  2) from a literary standpoint, it's sort of a Chekhov's gun with Mac sealing the protection with his blood.  True, that could have just been Jim's way of showing us what Mac really is, and there's nothing more to it, but I think ultimately this is setting the stage for the end-game and we'll see Mac and the placard come into play.

Just my thoughts anyway :)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 08:29:57 PM »
Mac is also official neutral territory. That does not matter for the outsiders but it has some meaning for most other powers.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 08:54:43 PM »
I agree about what Professor Q says about Mab-Mac exchange.

Also yes, I agree it would make sense for Harry to have a protection for minor talents outside of the Castle and away from Harry. Much safer.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 09:24:33 PM »
I agree about what Professor Q says about Mab-Mac exchange.

Also yes, I agree it would make sense for Harry to have a protection for minor talents outside of the Castle and away from Harry. Much safer.
Especially when an accord member like Marcone or the white council targets him.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 09:32:36 PM »
Yes. That too.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2020, 02:59:13 AM »
I don't know, the bar can hold what, maybe a couple dozen people?  And the castle could hold several times that?  I feel like at the rate Chicago is going, they're going to need a bigger place to hide people.  Maybe they need to buy the building mac is in and make it neutral and protected.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 03:12:10 AM »
Thirteen tables and thirteen bar stools. Anybody know how many seats at a table? (Now this would only give us the seating capacity, not the number of people you can cram in there).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2020, 03:52:25 AM »
I don't know, the bar can hold what, maybe a couple dozen people?  And the castle could hold several times that?  I feel like at the rate Chicago is going, they're going to need a bigger place to hide people.  Maybe they need to buy the building mac is in and make it neutral and protected.

If what Harry thinks about the wards of the castle are true, that there are many that were created by Merlin himself and that he can make the place almost as impregnable at Demonreach when it's defenses are up, then he doesn't need the Placard.  Mac's place needs it, it is a place of neutrality, yet there are some who do not respect that, this gives it an added layer of protection.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2020, 05:51:53 AM »
Yes, and I think it is for those already clued on the supernatural (that are comparatively not so much)

Oh, this reminds me a thing, I was so glad to see Artemis Block again! I always liked him and hoped he understood that when Harry insulted them he was trying to save his life.
Missing you, Md