Author Topic: WOW... BG First thoughts [Really major Battle Ground Spoilers]  (Read 1736 times)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
WOW... BG First thoughts [Really major Battle Ground Spoilers]
« on: September 29, 2020, 06:21:04 PM »

Edited to change the subject spoiler tag to be BG rather than PT
 - Griff

1. I can't believe Murphy actually died  :( :( :(. I was so sure all the hints in that direction were misdirections, since I was sure the series needed her.

2. I'm almost as surprised that Eb survived this book.

3. Drakul on stage  - finally. And confirmation that some of the Elders of the Black Court did survive the Stokerlypse. And Drakul is starborn???

3. Marcone has Thorned Namshiel's coin. And seems to actually be "in control". Wow.

4. What the heck is Mab doing, expecting Harry to marry Lara??? Isn't that going to give Lara the ability to control him? Why would she take that risk of 'losing' her Starborn Winter Knight?

3. A lot of theories confirmed or practically so:
- Nemesis is He Who Walks Beside
- Michael and Charity already knew about Molly being Winter Lady
- Harry calls Mac an "ex-angel". He's absolutely one of the Grigorim/Watchers.
- Lacuna is definitely a tooth faerie
- The Blackstaff has to be MW's walking stick. Eb's shadow becomes "a hideously twisted old woman, complete with the classic witch nose and chin, looking somehow darkly amused".
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:08:42 PM by Griffyn612 »

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WOW... PT First thoughts [Really major PT Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 01:21:09 AM »
1. Funny how we can be so sure of something just because of one idea in our heads (e.g. Jim is misleading us or it's too obvious). I admit, even though I was sure it was coming I was still a bit surprised.

2. I was much more surprised about that. Makes more sense considering Harry has heaps of weapons and the masquerade didn't quite fall. Still though, I am kinda glad. Eb and Harry deserve some resolution. And I don't know that Harry will get that staff while he is Winter Knight and/or while the White Council is still around. Even Ethniu took the Blackstaff seriously.

3. I KNOW RIGHT! Slightly underwhelming, was expecting a Ferro level being. Maybe he is and we just haven't seen him yet. He hardly seemed to be worried about the fight. Interesting he is starborn...makes a lot more sense considering how freaked out the Council has been of Harry. Also, he makes jokes and is insouciant. Also, Listen was a starborn. How many more? The Elders were very underwhelming. They are supposed to be able to take on Mab. Maybe that wasn't all of them...or maybe they just are not that strong now.

4. For now. Corruption isn't an overnight thing. Marcone is shaping up as one of the Big Bads of the whole series. And I fully expect him to school Harry in magic. Harry's going to need an upgrade to keep up I think. Marcone also has armies and wealth. He could make life very challenging for Harry. I suspect he will rule the Knights in place of Nicodemus, and I don't think he and Nic (or even Tessa) will ever work together.

5. I thought that was cruel. A bit funny, but mostly cruel. Jim's has been foreshadowing Lara and Harry "romance" for many years. All part of Harry going dark side. I wonder if they want Harry to breed super White Court Vampires? Probably too far fetched.

6. Yes indeed, many theories confirmed (although just as many not confirmed).
- Indeed. That was good.
- Weird. How do they know? Still though, makes things easier.
- Confirmed over and over.
- Confirmed previously I thought? Still though, brought up again.
- It almost certainly is.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 06:49:50 PM »
3. I KNOW RIGHT! Slightly underwhelming, was expecting a Ferro level being. Maybe he is and we just haven't seen him yet. He hardly seemed to be worried about the fight.

I think he looks less impressive in this book since so many major powers are on stage (Ethniu, Mab, Titania, Odin, etc.)

Given that Beowulf was Odin, IMO it says something about the potential power level of the Forest People that Odin thought he needed to get involved personally... Being able to stand up to River Shoulders might be pretty impressive in and of itself.

Also, potentially able to win a fight against Mab per WOJ doesn't necessarily mean her equal in all ways.

The Elders were very underwhelming. They are supposed to be able to take on Mab. Maybe that wasn't all of them

Well, the full group ("thirtyish") were supposed to be able to. Not just five.

4. For now. Corruption isn't an overnight thing

Good point. I was mostly thinking that Namshiel would be opposed to protecting Chicago, but I think there is a WOJ about Lucifer being opposed to the Outsiders? So if Ethniu was working with the Outsiders maybe there's no "conflict of interest" in this fight.

- Weird. How do they know? Still though, makes things easier.

It might not actually be that hard to figure out, depending on what sources of information Michael has.

Given that they know Harry is Winter Knight & Molly is Harry's former apprentice, Winter is a logical suspect for weird supernatural stuff going on with Molly.

And Michael did see Molly's image on the statue in Skin Game. That might have started him asking questions. To those in the know, the two groups of three female figures would suggest the Queens of Faerie. (Sure, Hecate, but Hecate traditionally is at best tri-form, not six-form.)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 07:12:36 PM »
3. I KNOW RIGHT! Slightly underwhelming, was expecting a Ferro level being. Maybe he is and we just haven't seen him yet. He hardly seemed to be worried about the fight. Interesting he is starborn...makes a lot more sense considering how freaked out the Council has been of Harry. Also, he makes jokes and is insouciant. Also, Listen was a starborn. How many more? The Elders were very underwhelming. They are supposed to be able to take on Mab. Maybe that wasn't all of them...or maybe they just are not that strong now.
Does anyone think this means that Elaine's definitely not a starborn or is definitely wrapped up with some major power and just we haven't pinned down which one?

The Elders were very underwhelming. They are supposed to be able to take on Mab. Maybe that wasn't all of them...or maybe they just are not that strong now.
I always took that WoJ to be the Elders before Bram Stocker's Black Court Apocalypses. I could easily be wrong on that. It was just my impression.

We've been led to believe that Thorned Namshiel was Black Council. We've been led to believe that Black Council is Nemesis. If those to lines of thought are true, does that mean that it was just Thorned Namshiel's host who was infected or does that mean that Marcone is now infected?

Marcone also has armies and wealth. He could make life very challenging for Harry. I suspect he will rule the Knights in place of Nicodemus, and I don't think he and Nic (or even Tessa) will ever work together.
I think that's part of Harry's plan. He talked about how Marcone was prepared, and how he, Harry, could have been prepared as well. That's why he took the castle from Marcone. It gives him a base and hurts Marcone's reputation. Maybe Harry will do the things I said he should be doing. (Pro bono consulting with S.I., organize the Paranet/BFS under him, expand his P.I. shop into a full blown supernatural detective agency).

- Harry calls Mac an "ex-angel". He's absolutely one of the Grigorim/Watchers.
I'd say we're 99% sure. Harry's been wrong before.