Author Topic: HUGE BATTLE GROUND SPOILERS - (Un)Answered questions  (Read 24473 times)

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: HUGE BATTLE GROUND SPOILERS - (Un)Answered questions
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2020, 08:16:13 PM »
When Namshiel gets control of Marcone it will be by using Marcone's little secret shame in a coma.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2020, 08:25:32 PM »
It’s been awhile since I’ve logged in so I almost certainly have missed some things. Hopefully filling in those gaps won’t be so painful. So here’s my thoughts...

1) Did I miss something? Why is everyone so certain Mac is related to angels? He seemed more keyed into (Norse?) mythology in the short story with the Grendel...

He was Norse mythologied- doesn't mean he himself is from Norse mythology.

One of my long ago hairy theories was Mac as Loki; that would have been fun.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2020, 01:21:08 AM »
I've been reading this thread. A few comments.

When Namshiel gets control of Marcone it will be by using Marcone's little secret shame in a coma.
I thought the same. I don't know exactly how, but that girl is involved. Also, Marcone won't be subjugated by the Fallen. They will work as equal partners or Marcone will dominate him. But I think sometime in the future, Marcone will ask Harry and the KotC for help to get rid of it. I don't know. I just want to see Marcone asking Harry for help  :)

Another question I have is: what's up with the conjuritis? It is over by the end of the book? Does it has a meaning before just a random sickness with side effects? I thought it meant that Harry had got it from Maggie, who would be revealed as a witch. But as nothing is mentioned in the book or, six months later, in CS, I am not sure now.

Last thing (I mentioned it in a thread about Justine), will Nemesis carry the baby? Will they be born between books? What utility will the baby have for Nemesis? A host?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 07, 2020, 01:29:16 AM »
Hehe, I see it differently. Harry and Marcone are almost fated to throw down, they allude to it all the time almost every interaction anymore... Think Harry's finally going to have to pick up his own sword to balance out Marcones power.. hopefully, literally Hope. It would mesh with his charlie brown ideals. Never stop trying.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2020, 01:32:16 AM »
Another question I have is: what's up with the conjuritis? It is over by the end of the book? Does it has a meaning before just a random sickness with side effects? I thought it meant that Harry had got it from Maggie, who would be revealed as a witch. But as nothing is mentioned in the book or, six months later, in CS, I am not sure now.
Maybe Harry having a magical childhood malady let's him learn something about conjuring other wizards don't know because they were too young when they had it. Maybe the Maggie reveal comes later. Also, it's Christmas Eve, not Christmas Story.

Think Harry's finally going to have to pick up his own sword to balance out Marcones power.. hopefully, literally Hope.
Thanks for killing Sanya!  ;)

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2020, 01:38:19 AM »
Thanks for killing Sanya!  ;)
mwahahaha 😈
I think Jim's adhering to the ideal 'hope never dies' and that's why Sanya has been a constant throughout the series. If he does die Harry will pick it up almost immediately.
On the same topic, I loved that Sanya came and got his ass kicked by Harry. That scene spoke volumes to me. If Harry had killed Rudolph hope would have been lost for him, Sanya prevented that l. I don't think the sword of hope is as powerfully flashy as the other two, but it's steady and inexorable... I'm even wondering if Jim didn't show that Harry could kick his ass as kinda a metaphor for Harry being on the same wavelength. Some kinda opposite reference from when butters showed up to thwart snake boy.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2020, 01:43:20 AM »
Maybe Harry having a magical childhood malady let's him learn something about conjuring other wizards don't know because they were too young when they had it. Maybe the Maggie reveal comes later. Also, it's Christmas Eve, not Christmas Story.
*facepalms* Yes, thank you.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2020, 02:04:12 AM »
Hehe, I see it differently. Harry and Marcone are almost fated to throw down, they allude to it all the time almost every interaction anymore... Think Harry's finally going to have to pick up his own sword to balance out Marcones power.. hopefully, literally Hope. It would mesh with his charlie brown ideals. Never stop trying.

Jim loves to foreshadow an expectation and then take a hard turn away from it, though. Murphy teased to take up a sword, or the Valkyrie job offer for its "health plan" ... nope, breaks a sword, then dead.  Most people expecting Eb to bite it in the battle as the classic "death of the mentor" moment ... nope, alive, and the Council's gun pointed at Harry.

Marcone and Harry's mutual expectation to eventually throw down is the best reason to think something else is going to end up happening.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2020, 02:36:27 AM »
Marcone and Harry's mutual expectation to eventually throw down is the best reason to think something else is going to end up happening.
ooh, I'd argue most of those were simply fan expectations not forshadowing (especially Eb dying) but that does ring somewhat true there. There's another candidate for taking on what I perceive to be the fallen version of king Arthur... The risen version of Mordred lol.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2020, 03:01:43 AM »
Bradley is the new Murphy, he is I think going to SI and will act as Harry’s liaison.

The reason I think this is that the character has been set up for a running joke, like Murphy with her being exactly five feet tall “Five O”.

In BG where Bradley meets Harry for the second time he is described like an armoured personnel carrier. The main US armoured personnel carrier is....the Bradley. Going back to PT on their first meeting his suit is described as neutral ,designed to blend into the business world, I would think almost like camouflage?

On his third meeting he is literally carrying personnel, his daughter and Rudy.

Wow. Really well-spotted. These are the little tidbits I love about the Dresdenfiles, but I almost never pick them up on my first reading.

Bradley is the new Murphy
I didn't notice the sexual tension.  ;)

You didn't?

Quote from: Peace Talks
I eyed the other guy. He was about five feet, six inches -- in all three dimensions. I seriously couldn't remember the time I'd seen a guy built so solidly. He wore a tailored suit, because I doubted anything fit him off the rack, but it was made of neutral, plain materials, meant to blend into the background of the business world. His salt-and-pepper hair was buzzed short, and his face was rough with beard shadow that I suspected appeared about ten seconds after he was done shaving. Something about the way he held himself, the way his eyes were focused on nothing in particular, put me on notice that he knew what he was doing better than most.

I mean, I think the paragraph ended just because Harry couldn't think of any more ways to say that Detective Bradley was very, very manly.

Offline Dragen3

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2020, 04:24:45 AM »
Bradley being the new "friend on the force" seems plausible. Considering one of the more memorable scenes in Battle Grounds involves him coming to the aid of his daughter. If Bradley ends up becoming a Knight. It will probably be during the BAT since the sword of Love (or Family) is the most likely one for him to wield and it has been strongly suggested that a new wielder for that Sword is not going to happen until then.

If their is a big throwdown between Harry and Marcone, I suspect it will be in the BAT, more specifically in Hells Bells, since that seems like the most likely place for a a resolution against a Hell Knight.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2020, 06:31:12 AM »
Wow. Really well-spotted. These are the little tidbits I love about the Dresdenfiles, but I almost never pick them up on my first reading.
Me neither, that is why I need to reread both books soon
Missing you, Md 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2020, 08:01:39 AM »
I believe Karrin was referred to as a Knight by Tiny, before the Sword when she drew her badge on him in Mac’s

Simply put one may be a Knight without picking up a Sword, Coin or Mantle, and I believe that is Bradley”s role, a Knight of the City. We know he has both the courage and the ability. I could imagine Bradley in the same position drawing his badge on Tiny.

For example Eb comes to Chicago to execute Harry, I could see Bradley Thorn Manacling him and then taking him on in quarterstaff fight and winning.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2020, 05:38:43 PM »
Nonsense.

In this book Faith, Hope, and Love faced off with Ethniu. And the greatest of them was Love (personified by Harry). Faith and Hope got him there, but Love won in the end.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 07, 2020, 05:44:11 PM »
Nonsense.
excuse me?
In this book Faith, Hope, and Love faced off with Ethniu. And the greatest of them was Love (personified by Harry). Faith and Hope got him there, but Love won in the end.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
, harry didn't use love and Harry didn't personify love in this book. Harry is not yet in touch with what makes him tick, and by and large love has been absent from his life. Hope and duty have been omniscient in it.