Author Topic: Dresden Files Continuity Errors – There aren’t any  (Read 6198 times)

Offline The_Harry_that_Laughs

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files Continuity Errors – There aren’t any
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 03:13:51 PM »
There were two points that stood out to me in Battle Grounds about 'inconsistencies'.

First, Soul Fire is different in this book. Before, Soul Fire used Harry's soul to supercharge his spells, use too much and poof no more soul. In BG, Soul Fire has an external source, left over stuff from the Big Bang, and Uriel gifted Harry an amount of it.

The second is about Murph, and that Harry has used his Sight and SAW her, twice. I would think this would have come up in the book. This Harry might not have SEEN her, and why he lamented about the Soulgaze.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 06:25:39 PM »
I concur lol. I've had similar ideas, especially for MM. I'm hoping for a sliders/quantum leap style mission to search out the right timeline.
I am so in for this. Perhaps we can will it to be.

The alphas are werewolves, what do the betas turn into?
Lol. Regular dogs?

Offline sayyadina

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2020, 12:30:55 AM »
I'd be fine with this if the PT+BG itself had been written better. It wasn't at all and just didn't sound or feel at all like Jim had written it. It lacked the normal description & world building. Just very disjointed and both numbing & exhausting to read. I hadn't had to force myself to finish a Dresden Files book until PT and BG was even worse. The whole thing was weirdly predictable and transparent (like the Ethniu vision thing). Its like a totally different person wrote it.

I guess things like a character being in one place and then suddenly being somewhere else could be attributed to a multiverse. If that's so it wasn't done well at all.

You're not gonna convince me that Harry Dresden didn't think of his daughter at all during the multiple times he wanted to die, nor that him not unleashing enhanced pyrofuego when Murphy was killed was a multiverse thing.

Frank Herbert's Dune is an excellent example of how to tell a super complex story well. PT+BG was flat out badly written, and even worse if it was supposed to be multiverse. Its as if Jim completely forget everythinf about the entire series.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 05:38:02 AM »
@KurtisStGeorge, I like very much your theory. I had been thinking time travel could explain some things but I liked your theory much more.

@sayyadina He did not release pyrofuego because he did not want to immediately kill Rudolph. What would be the pleasure of that? He had allowed the Mantle to take over and the mantle wanted to make him suffer first, after terrorizing him. Also, the Mantle is probably not so fond of fire as he is.

There were two points that stood out to me in Battle Grounds about 'inconsistencies'.

First, Soul Fire is different in this book. Before, Soul Fire used Harry's soul to supercharge his spells, use too much and poof no more soul. In BG, Soul Fire has an external source, left over stuff from the Big Bang, and Uriel gifted Harry an amount of it.

The second is about Murph, and that Harry has used his Sight and SAW her, twice. I would think this would have come up in the book. This Harry might not have SEEN her, and why he lamented about the Soulgaze.

I had not thought about soulfire, you may be right. (by the way, I wondered if soulfire could have pierced Ethniu's armor. I just wanted Harry to try it). But the second, Sight is not the same than Soulgaze. The main difference is the two-way thing, and I think that is what he lamented more.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 05:54:37 AM »

I think it is more that Harry is very careful as to how he uses it, and I believe he understands it better and how to use it.  I believe in Cold Days when Mother Winter has him pinned down, he uses it and had a bit of an epiphany about it, he then said Bob knows a lot but somethings he doesn't know a whole lot about, and Soul Fire is one of them.  He used to freak out when he used it, thinking he was using up part of his soul to do it.  He realizes that soul fire isn't just one thing either.  It is what he did in Battle Ground when he used it with the Winter Mantle to build that great wall of ice to slow down the giants so Eb and Christos could do their thing, he went to the core of his being for it.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2020, 06:17:23 AM »
You may be right, Mira

Also, TCF posted the transcription of an interview with Jim and he answers the question about Ivy. I post it here under a spoiler tag, so people can choose if read it or not (not everyone wants to know WoJ)

(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2020, 07:24:12 PM »
I wondered if soulfire could have pierced Ethniu's armor. I just wanted Harry to try it.
Me too.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 07:27:38 PM »
If it worked, it would have probably caused an aneurysm in many heavy hitters. They were ready for KotC and Denarians, but for Harry?  ;D ;D ;D
Missing you, Md 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2020, 08:25:01 PM »
That would have been really cool if all those heavy hitters could barely touch her, and Harry puts a hole in her with a blast of "fire."

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2020, 08:39:33 PM »
I am so in for this. Perhaps we can will it to be.
Lol. Regular dogs?

Labradoodles.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2020, 09:23:17 PM »
That would have been really cool if all those heavy hitters could barely touch her, and Harry puts a hole in her with a blast of "fire."
That is what I wanted to see since they began talking about who could bypass the armor. What actually happened did not satisfy me as much.
Missing you, Md