Author Topic: Rudolph's evidence doesn't make sense  (Read 9646 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Rudolph's evidence doesn't make sense
« on: September 21, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
Obviously, there is a rational reason why Jim has Rudolph reappearing and going after Harry and Karin.  However, there are things Rudolph and his partner say and things that happened that don't make sense.  When Rudolph and his partner showed up they mentioned the murder of the accountant, but not the murder of Marcone's employee, just that a bank was robbed.  OK, maybe they're using the old trap of not mentioning key elements of a crime in order to allow the suspect to trap themselves by mentioning that element.  But there are other anomalies as well.

They have a photo of Murphy speeding down a Chicago street and Rudolph's partner knows that her injuries were deliberately inflicted by an unknown party.  So, what!?  As evidence it doesn't connect to either crime.  Murphy had left the abandoned slaughter house and was driving after Butters and Harry.  That doesn't connect her to Harry coming out of the bank or to the murder of the accountant.  There was reported gang activity near by.  I suppose those were Binder's summoned creatures chasing after Butters.  Again, it's nothing that can be connected to Murphy.   

They have one clear photo of Harry running down a street near where Harvey's body was found.  Running by himself?  When did that occur?  Harry was dragging Harvey around with him the entire time.  The only time Harry ran by himself was when he was chasing after Butters. 

What happened to the bodies of the four dead ghouls?  I think Rudolph should have said there were five murders, the four dead ghouls; who would have been identified as humans, and Harvey.  Did Harry open a way to the Nevernever and drag the bodies of the ghouls to the other side and dump them there?  That would have left a huge amount of blood on the floor that wasn't Harvey's.  Remember that Goodman Grey sliced two of the ghouls up when he killed them.  Harry smashed the frozen bodies of the other two ghouls into frozen bloody chunks.  The DNA wouldn't have been Harry or Harvey's either.  All that blood would have pointed to a fight with multiple parties involved.  Finally, Harry hit Tessa hard enough to splatter bits of ichor from her onto the floor.  That could contain her DNA as well.

Not an anomaly, but Harry has one thing going for him in the investigation of Harvey's murder that he hasn't considered.  Harvey's body was discovered several days after his murder.  That means there wouldn't have been a way to pinpoint the accountant's time of death.  Goodman Grey pretended to be Harvey the rest of the day.  Just a single phone call that Grey took or visitor he met while pretending to be Harvey would push back the estimated time of Harvey's death.  A picture of Harry running down the street where Harvey died that was taken at 12 noon isn't evidence against Harry if Grey took a phone call or met a visitor after that time.  This would be highly likely for a high level financial consultant.  Harry just needs to talk to Goodman Grey to find the exculpatory evidence he needs.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Rudolph's evidence doesn't make sense
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 05:47:49 PM »
You forget there is a record of Harvey’s retinal scam at the bank, which pushes the time line waaay back. Marcone isn’t cooperating, no evidence from the Bank at all. HIS CPD made everything disappear, his clients are aware the Nicky the perpetrator, got handed his ass by Marcone.

Rudy has been pointed at “what happened on this day involving Harry Dresden” and he has skimmed public resources, receiving contradictory results. Harvey had a secretary out to lunch, and I bet she said Harvey was in the office all afternoon when Harry was clearly elsewhere, alibiing Harvey. Someone has promised Rudy a big payout if he gets the goods on Harry and he is reaching.

Offline JumpyDragon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 06:39:54 PM »
Not only that, but Ruddy the Brown Nosed has always been trying to smack down Harry and Murph. They never really say why besides trying to rise himself up to power. The thing is, his fascination with Harry and Murph is downright obsessive. Murph constantly dealt with the weird, unexplainable cases and was essentially in a dead-end job. So why did Rudolph have this bug up his rear toward her and Harry?

In Fool Mool, Ruddy was traumatized from the loup-garu (who wasn't) and Harry being Harry wasn't all to gentle (acting rather manically with a Snoopy doll) while trying to save the precincts collective asses. Seems kinda petty to hold onto that all this time. So what's his deal with Harry?

Did Murph deny him a date or something, and now he's all carrying a plan to make her life a living hell? Is he just sexist again female cops? Again, petty reasons.

I'm positive Marcone wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pool. Ruddy is a weasel and too much of a loud hassle. I picture Marcone buying off more quieter cops.

While Ruddy has been a severe pain in the tush, i don't believe his story has fully come to light and his reasons why. Even his partner was giving Harry and Murph the "I'm so sorry for this" eyes when they went to Murph's place. Rudoph is unhinged and on fire to tag Harry and Murph. Then again, he could just be a Morgan and is tired of seeing Murph and Harry get away with crap.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 06:47:49 PM »
They have one clear photo of Harry running down a street near where Harvey's body was found.  Running by himself?  When did that occur?  Harry was dragging Harvey around with him the entire time.  The only time Harry ran by himself was when he was chasing after Butters.
It might have been after he left the scene of the crime.

The best I can figure is that the ghoul's decay exceptionally rapidly. If their compatriots somehow removed their corpses, they wouldn't have left Harvey behind unless following very strict orders.

What I figured happened is that someone told Rudolph what happened. Probably someone who he's working for, but it could just be someone who tipped him off. I'm not sure if Rudolph is still in denial about the supernatural. If he is, he's running into a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense and is very confused by it. That would just make him angry and more determined. If he does know about it, he knows no one will believe it, so he's got to come up with a story that works with the evidence to get Harry and Murphy into trouble.

They have a photo of Murphy speeding down a Chicago street and Rudolph's partner knows that her injuries were deliberately inflicted by an unknown party.  So, what!?  As evidence it doesn't connect to either crime.
There's suspicious activity. Activity that someone probably told Rudolph was connected. That's why there's an investigation instead of an arrest warrant.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 08:11:35 PM »
There's suspicious activity. Activity that someone probably told Rudolph was connected. That's why there's an investigation instead of an arrest warrant.

Then there would be a homicide investigation carried out by homicide investigators since Murphy hasn't been on the police force for years now, and Harry the same, they are private citizens. It shouldn't be Internal Affairs, when asked the question, Bradley guesses, "because Murphy and Harry used to be?"
Which strikes Murphy as very odd indeed.

She says page48 of Peace Talks;

"Because I was one of theirs,he guesses,"Murphy said.  "Bradley doesn't guess about anything.  He doesn't know why IA has the case."
I rubbed at the spot between my eyes and growled.  "Someone is pulling strings behind the scenes.  They got the case bumped over to one of their people.  Rudolph."
"And Marcone owns Rudolph," Karrin said.  She pursed her lips.  "Or so we assumed."
"Who else would have him?  Who else has so much influence in this town?"

By the end of the chapter, Harry wants to find out who else might be pushing Rudolph, he wants the Paranet to look into it.  As my dear old dad used to say, you stir a pile of crap long and hard enough it will begin to smell, Bradley is good at that, though otherwise he is a decent cop.

This sounds like a set up for blackmail at some point down the road.  If they had straight forward evidence to give them cause, it would be a homicide investigation handled by homicide investigators. Not an in house IA investigation where one of the investigators doesn't even know why it is them looking into it.  No, it is someone who wants very badly to get something to hold over Harry and Murphy's head.  My five cents goes on Nic, this whole caper backfired on him badly.. He wants the Spear of Destiny, he figures Harry has it.  I bet if not by the end of this book, then in the next one or so, he will show up demanding Harry turn it over to him or he will see him or Murphy, or both arrested for murder one, assuming she survives.. We know what happened when Mavra tried that one.  But that is the only way this chapter makes any sense, and I still think it is possible that because of what went down in front of Mab, Marcone would like to see Harry sweat a bit.. But at this point in Peace Talks, he has no clue of what is about to happen, otherwise he'd have forgotten the whole idea.

It also fits with Murphy not being there at Christmas, she has taken the fall and is in prison thanks to Nic.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 09:19:13 PM »
Nicky like Marcone would steer clear of Rudy, both would be contemptuous of such a petty douche like Rudy.

It should be noted Carlos knew that Nicky had had a major setback and may have been fishing for more from Harry, who doesn’t give him anything. Carlos is unaware of either his or Mab’s involvement, he puts forward it was all Marcone, looking for some comment from Harry, who has a known beef with Nicky. This suggests the White Council suspect or know of some involvement of Harry (but not Mab) and are trying to find out more. Hence Rudy and his ‘investigation’, only a short time after Carlos tried to get something.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 09:35:37 PM »
Nicky like Marcone would steer clear of Rudy, both would be contemptuous of such a petty douche like Rudy.

No they wouldn't if they could use him to their purpose.  You think Nic wouldn't think twice about using Rudy if he gained an advantage?  Or Marcone for that matter?

It should be noted Carlos knew that Nicky had had a major setback and may have been fishing for more from Harry, who doesn’t give him anything. Carlos is unaware of either his or Mab’s involvement, he puts forward it was all Marcone, looking for some comment from Harry, who has a known beef with Nicky. This suggests the White Council suspect or know of some involvement of Harry (but not Mab) and are trying to find out more. Hence Rudy and his ‘investigation’, only a short time after Carlos tried to get something.

No,  Rudy showed up on Murphy's doorstep just before or while what was going down with Thomas was going down... And I might add before Mab and Lara showed up in the back of the Munstermobile with the orders that Harry was to honor the two remaining favors that Lara has coming to her.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:11:17 AM by Mira »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 02:23:04 AM »
I thought the Ick ate his face. Or maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part. Red Court assassins tried for him twice. Once downtown and once at his home.  Jim's so far off the reservation it hard to know what's going on. Maybe Lara isn't Lara.  Maybe the Spooky MIB guys are stirring the pot.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 03:56:14 AM »
I thought the Ick ate his face. Or maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part. Red Court assassins tried for him twice. Once downtown and once at his home.  Jim's so far off the reservation it hard to know what's going on. Maybe Lara isn't Lara.  Maybe the Spooky MIB guys are stirring the pot.

Maybe it is Mr Grey posing as Lara? :o

Offline JumpyDragon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 04:10:25 AM »
Maybe it is Mr Grey posing as Lara? :o

Grey and Dresden laying in a ring...
B O I N K I N G

Freyda would go bonkers over that bromance.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 04:48:53 AM »
It also fits with Murphy not being there at Christmas, she has taken the fall and is in prison thanks to Nic.

Even if the mortal legal system laid a charge against Karrin, I doubt they have anything strong enough to hold her without bail. And Harry could have her jailbreaked to a safe house pretty much as fast as it takes to brew a batch of the escape potion from SF.

I think she most likely takes the Valkyrie job out of necessity for the "health plan", and is away on assignment as of Christmas Eve. The narrative point of Thomas going into stasis in PT is to deprive Harry of a key ally for a while, but leave open the possibility to get him back later without killing him off for good. Ending BG with Murphy alive but elsewhere by necessity would mirror Thomas being benched, as well as Harry's choice in Changes to make a Faustian bargain to stay in the fight.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 07:24:58 AM »

The Ick would have found Rudy’s Face very disagreeable if it ate it.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 08:15:56 AM »
I hope the Rudolph subplot is resolved well.

I personally found the whole thing rather unbelievable. Not that the cops tried to put the hard word on them with minimal evidence (all of which was circumstantial), but that both Murphy and Harry didn't call them out on it. I know they both are not lawyers but they would be laughed out of any serious conversation if that's all they had on the day. I think Bradley realised that things were up with his assignment and that they didn't have enough evidence, but I believe he also smelled a rat around Dresden and Murphy which bugged him. I thought Harry (who hates bullies) and Murphy (who won't be cowed) would have both pushed back harder.

But the obvious wielder of the cat's paw, to me, is the White Court. It is their style. And they have power to rival Marcone, perhaps greater even, when it comes to using the mortal system for their own ends. Whether it is Lara or not remains to be seen, although I am sure it is, but Marcone benefits the least from sending the law and Dresden right now. The White Court however...

I put more in my thread about Jury Duty.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 01:59:19 PM »
Perhaps Rudolph isn't anyone's catspaw anymore.

We know he *was* working for the Red Court, possibly with lots of mind-magic manipulation to make him obsessed with Harry and Murphy.

Then the Red Court died.

A lot of what's happened since is about the unintentional fallout of destroying the Red Court and leaving a vaccuum.

Perhaps Rudolph is another example -- without his Red Court handlers, the magical obsession is driving him on its own without intelligent direction.

Offline JumpyDragon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 05:16:59 PM »
Perhaps Rudolph isn't anyone's catspaw anymore.

We know he *was* working for the Red Court, possibly with lots of mind-magic manipulation to make him obsessed with Harry and Murphy.

Then the Red Court died.

A lot of what's happened since is about the unintentional fallout of destroying the Red Court and leaving a vaccuum.

Perhaps Rudolph is another example -- without his Red Court handlers, the magical obsession is driving him on its own without intelligent direction.

Good point. Too much black magic can make you go bonkers.