Author Topic: Now THAT's what I call a Sample Chapter!  (Read 12334 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Now THAT's what I call a Sample Chapter!
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2020, 08:02:28 PM »
And yet Lara was granted three favours. What if the last is to heal Murphy, so Harry is strengthened to take down Ethnui?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2020, 10:54:04 PM »
And yet Lara was granted three favours. What if the last is to heal Murphy, so Harry is strengthened to take down Ethnui?
Except I imagine that Lara is saving that favor up for later... Like release Thomas.. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2020, 11:48:15 PM »
Ah, but for Harry to release Thomas, he has to survive. Mab can’t release Thomas, she is very, very wary of Demonreach, more than she is of Ethnui. She asks Mab outright to release Thomas, Mab will tell her she can’t, not sure though Mab can heal Karen, Lea healed Harry in Grave Peril instantly, but Mab didn’t heal Harry from the bullet wound, he had to heal and recovery naturally, but maybe Bonny prevented that, or Demonreach did, or Mab’s own nature.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2020, 12:00:32 AM »

Mab has shown that she can repay a favor and screw over the recipient of that payment at the same time, and though that's not what you are talking about I think it's something to keep in mind.

I don't see Lara using the favor owed her by Mab to help Murphy unless she can use it to get something from Harry.  Something like, "I can fix the damage to Ms. Murphy, Sir Knight, but you will owe me a favor in return."

Harry owes a favor to Vadderung or perhaps he was in his Kringle identity.  Offhand I don't remember, but a favor is owed.
Harry owes a favor to Molly.
Harry owes a favor to Mab.  (Harry forgot to include the final favor he owed to Mab in the deal he made to become the Winter Knight.)
Harry still owes Bob a new backup vessel / skull, to hide in, seeing as Bonea took over the one Harry made on Demonreach.

Am I missing anybody?  I like the idea of Harry owing a favor to Lara, but I don't see the scenario of Lara healing Murphy to acquire that favor as something that is likely to occur.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:04:02 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2020, 12:10:07 AM »
Lara owes a favor to Murphy from BR.
Harry owes a favor to Vadderung, not Kringle.
Harry gave the vessel to Bob. What Bob/Butters did with it doesn't effect the deal.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2020, 12:29:34 AM »
At that time the white court was still at least nominally a red court ally and Winter was more or less helping the white council.
I know.  But look at what happened to the Reds.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2020, 12:30:39 AM »
Even if she knew it was an illusion. The idea might be enough to get angry.

Molly is not that jealous otherwise her interactions with Murphy would have been far more explosive. She might be a bit protective.

Even if she knows it was an illusion, the fact that everyone else who didn't now thinks that Lara has Winter's consort and champion wrapped around her little finger ... quite aside from any lingering personal feelings for Harry, Molly is also going to be pissed that Lara  has everyone who's anyone in the community thinking she put one over on her and Mab.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2020, 02:06:42 AM »
Ah, but for Harry to release Thomas, he has to survive. Mab can’t release Thomas, she is very, very wary of Demonreach, more than she is of Ethnui. She asks Mab outright to release Thomas, Mab will tell her she can’t, not sure though Mab can heal Karen, Lea healed Harry in Grave Peril instantly, but Mab didn’t heal Harry from the bullet wound, he had to heal and recovery naturally, but maybe Bonny prevented that, or Demonreach did, or Mab’s own nature.

No, but if Lara did demand it as a favor it would put both Mab and Harry between a rock and a hard place.  Depending on the politics and guilt of Thomas, releasing Thomas may blow the Accords apart.
Also if Thomas was guilty, would Alfred obey Harry? 
She may, but she doesn't live under the same rules as the Winter Court Fae, so she may not feel obligated to help Murphy.  She does however want her brother to go free, so if she is going to spend that last favor on anyone it will be on Thomas, not Murphy.
I don't see Lara using the favor owed her by Mab to help Murphy unless she can use it to get something from Harry.  Something like, "I can fix the damage to Ms. Murphy, Sir Knight, but you will owe me a favor in return."

Except Harry is in no position to bargain.  If Lara wants to call in her last favor from the Winter Court all she has to do is ask for it.
Harry owes a favor to Vadderung or perhaps he was in his Kringle identity.  Offhand I don't remember, but a favor is owed.
But that has nothing to do with the favor the Winter Court owes Lara.  Nor am I sure Kringle operates under the same laws that govern the Fae Courts as far as favors owed.
Harry owes a favor to Molly.
That he does as governed by Winter Court Fae rules.. 
Harry still owes Bob a new backup vessel / skull, to hide in, seeing as Bonea took over the one Harry made on Demonreach.

Perhaps, but if I remember correctly the wooden skull that Bonea now uses is pretty crude by Harry's own description.  I bet with a little guidance from Bob, Butters could come up with a much nicer one.

Am I missing anybody?  I like the idea of Harry owing a favor to Lara, but I don't see the scenario of Lara healing Murphy to acquire that favor as something that is likely to occur.

I don't either,  Lara only need ask and Harry is duty bound under Mab's orders to comply.  As I said, not likely she'd put Murphy ahead of Thomas..  Harry loves both, but that makes no difference either, he has to obey whatever Lara requests.. Just as he was worried in chapter three of Battleground that Lara would demand that he go with her as payment for the favor.  Molly helped him slide out of that.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2020, 06:56:22 AM »
No, but if Lara did demand it as a favor it would put both Mab and Harry between a rock and a hard place.  Depending on the politics and guilt of Thomas, releasing Thomas may blow the Accords apart.

I don't think the Svartalves are that important of a nation, really. Rescuing Thomas during the talks was a potential disaster because if it had become known, Mab's representative was breaking the rules at a major diplomatic meeting for Mab's Accords.

Now that that's a "fait accompli" I think the political picture is different.

The larger problem is that if Thomas was just released from Demonreach now, he'd die. There needs to be a solution for the whole "Hunger eating him" aspect first.

Also if Thomas was guilty, would Alfred obey Harry? 

Yes. As Alfred says, "YOU ARE THE WARDEN". Harry could release all kinds of things.

That's why it's such a big deal among those few people who know about it... the Warden of Demonreach could basically cause a PT/BG level disaster any time he felt like it by releasing some horrible monster or ancient titan.

Which is one reason I think the 'kicking Harry out of the Council' bit is a ploy. We know he'd never do it, at least short of a Changes-level situation, but the people on the Senior Council who still think Harry is a potential ticking time bomb... given the binding power of oaths, he could just extract an oath from some titan to kill all his enemies on the Council and then release it.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2020, 11:28:33 AM »
Harry owes a favor to Vadderung, not Kringle.
Harry gave the vessel to Bob. What Bob/Butters did with it doesn't effect the deal.

Forgot about the BR favour, that plays nicely into the scenario.

Bob can still use the back up with Bonea in residence

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2020, 11:50:24 AM »
I don't think the Svartalves are that important of a nation, really. Rescuing Thomas during the talks was a potential disaster because if it had become known, Mab's representative was breaking the rules at a major diplomatic meeting for Mab's Accords.

Now that that's a "fait accompli" I think the political picture is different.

The larger problem is that if Thomas was just released from Demonreach now, he'd die. There needs to be a solution for the whole "Hunger eating him" aspect first.

I think that depends on what they contribute to the fight against the Titan.  Also I've begun to reread Peace Talks as a lead up to Battleground.  On the reread, it is obvious on the run in the first chapter that Thomas was up to something, that it wasn't just nervousness and anxiety over Justine's pregnancy.   Who put up to it and why will be big factors I think.  Another thought as I read given
that they used birth control that failed and White Court Vamps are for all intents and purposes sterile as Thomas put it, was there another father?  If it was a set up and Justine is a part of it, it could be.
Does he know for sure there is an embryo Hunger inside her, or is he just assuming it?
Which is one reason I think the 'kicking Harry out of the Council' bit is a ploy. We know he'd never do it, at least short of a Changes-level situation, but the people on the Senior Council who still think Harry is a potential ticking time bomb... given the binding power of oaths, he could just extract an oath from some titan to kill all his enemies on the Council and then release it.

Except on the reread, from what Eb said, not everyone on the Senior Council even know he is the Warden of Demonreach.  What is interesting is if Christos is Black Council as Harry and Eb both seem to think, why is he going to the Peace Talks instead of being there for the vote?  And Eb is talking about Harry going off to glad hand and politic for his position, when Harry says he can't because he is on the security team, Eb didn't seem to know about it.  Now supposedly he is the head man for the security team, yet it is Carlos who claims to be who wants Harry on the team.. So is it yet another sign of dementia in Eb that he has forgotten that fact? Or is Carlos about to be the one close who stabs Harry in the back?  Another thought, the bearded guy Harry blows away in the trailer, Christos? 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2020, 02:27:22 PM »
Harry:
Come on. I'm a wizard. We have union rules against telling anybody anything

Rashid:
If we both survive the next several hours, I will settle matters between you and the Council, which knows only as much about our roles as it needs to—and that isn’t much

Don't assume someone on the council knows something because another council member knows. With important information the opposite is more likely.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2020, 03:18:31 PM »
Don't assume someone on the council knows something because another council member knows. With important information the opposite is more likely.

Yep. One of the things I've been anticipating in Battle Ground for years is the possibility of seeing Harry's opponents in the White Council realize just how badly they've underestimated him, when they watch him go all out against the fomor bigs, or even bind Ethniu into a cell.

Like a bigger version of the moment when Ancient Mai had to radically rethink everything about Harry when she realized he was partnered with a foo dog.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 03:33:40 PM »
I think it's ironic they're targeting him for being Mabs knight when we know they're all sitting on power ups of some sort themselves. Like if those were public I'm not sure most of the senior council would have a leg left to stand on in that argument.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2020, 04:14:08 PM »
I think it's ironic they're targeting him for being Mabs knight when we know they're all sitting on power ups of some sort themselves. Like if those were public I'm not sure most of the senior council would have a leg left to stand on in that argument.

Certainly not Martha Liberty, we find out she is great pals with the Loa, which suggest she is also a Voodoo Priestess (which looking on Wikipedia goes back to the White God as creator) Harry though has a much closer relationship via Uriel. She may therefore also be a candidate to wield soul-fire as basically a female Father Forthill who is also a wizard, and may have access to clerical magic.

We know Eb has the Black Staff, we don’t know what else he may have tucked away.

Recent WOJ indicates that Listens to the Wind shapeshifting isn’t learnt, and his power up may be something like the Tarnhelm

The thing is Senior Council can take centuries to achieve the power ups Harry achieved in a decade and a bit, and I suspect Christos hasn’t yet had the time to pick anything up (although he may have been promised much)

Harry has:-

(1) Soul fire
(2) the Winter Knight Mantle
(3) the Placard
(4) the Athame
(5) the shroud
(6) the crown
(7) Warden of Demonreach
(8) Bonea

Not even Eb knows of (1), (3) - (6) and (8)