Author Topic: Do the Wardens have any 'heavy hitters' left? [Some PT Spoilers]  (Read 10267 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Do the Wardens have any 'heavy hitters' left? [Some PT Spoilers]
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 11:15:34 PM »
Her narrow beam fire attacks are a lot more efficient for putting down a lot of Fomor grunts quickly by sweeping through a crowd than Harry generating massive plumes of fire.

But he doesn't have to do that anymore.  However, there is a variety of "Fomor grunts," they are not all turtlenecks, some are really huge and it is going to take KABOOM to bring them down.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2020, 12:20:20 AM »
Her narrow beam fire attacks are a lot more efficient for putting down a lot of Fomor grunts quickly by sweeping through a crowd than Harry generating massive plumes of fire.

Oh, Luccio would still be more efficient - but in this situation, probably not enough to make up for Harry's power advantage... which is a lot larger than it used to be (not only Luccio's loss of power, but Harry's ability to draw on Winter).

Harry hates to have to use Winter, but when he really needs to, his power is probably far beyond what a normal wizard could match. Raising the warehouse with ice in CD was really incredibly impressive when I looked at the volume that would need.

I don't think it would make him a match for Eb or the Merlin (who are both at the top end of power and skill) but post-bodyswap Luccio, sure.

Harry's so averse to using it that we don't see very much of what the Mantle can really do for him, but when we do, it's quite impressive.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2020, 02:01:47 AM »
About Murphy and the AT-4.  Not loaded it weighs just under 15 lbs.  It is recoilless; so no kick but she would probably still feel it when she fired it.  Just the vibration caused the firing an AT-4 could probably be very painful for someone with an injured shoulder, but it's a one shot weapon so she would only have to do it once.  Unless Murphy was firing the AT-4C, she sure wouldn't want a wall or any other obstruction directly behind her.  That vented gas is dangerous to anyone directly behind the weapon and a wall would force the vented gas right back at her, ouch!.

Fun fact: It's legal to own a rocket launcher in the U.S.  Though the AT-4 round isn't actually a rocket, but I digress.  However, the AT-4 tube is labelled as a hazardous material, or it contains hazardous materials.  It's not something you'd want lying around the house.

I guessing with an adrenaline rush Murphy could probably manage to lift the thing once; plus, I believe only one of her shoulders was injured so she could probably manage it one way or another.  Murphy's main problem is that she has no mobility.  She can't shoot and scoot.  So, being on top of Marcone's fortress is a reasonable place for her to be; being out in the street, not so much. 

Her first problem would be getting to a fight.  Murphy would probably have to be driven there unless Harry opened up a way that physically was only a few feet away even if it took her several miles away from her starting point.  She'd still have to lug the AT-4 around.  It makes far more sense for Murphy to driven somewhere, get dropped off and set up on the exact point on the sidewalk where she was dropped.  Again, she has no options if Fomor aren't stopped dead in their tracks because she can't fall back at anything faster than a slow walk.  At least she wouldn't have to lug the AT-4 around with her seeing as it's a one and done weapon.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2020, 04:24:47 AM »

Her first problem would be getting to a fight.  Murphy would probably have to be driven there unless Harry opened up a way that physically was only a few feet away even if it took her several miles away from her starting point.  She'd still have to lug the AT-4 around.  It makes far more sense for Murphy to driven somewhere, get dropped off and set up on the exact point on the sidewalk where she was dropped.  Again, she has no options if Fomor aren't stopped dead in their tracks because she can't fall back at anything faster than a slow walk.  At least she wouldn't have to lug the AT-4 around with her seeing as it's a one and done weapon.

Well, the trailer also shows her on a motorcycle, Harry sitting behind, so I guess that is how, but no sign of the weapon. 

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2020, 04:44:31 AM »
Oh, Luccio would still be more efficient - but in this situation, probably not enough to make up for Harry's power advantage... which is a lot larger than it used to be (not only Luccio's loss of power, but Harry's ability to draw on Winter).

Harry hates to have to use Winter, but when he really needs to, his power is probably far beyond what a normal wizard could match. Raising the warehouse with ice in CD was really incredibly impressive when I looked at the volume that would need.

I don't think it would make him a match for Eb or the Merlin (who are both at the top end of power and skill) but post-bodyswap Luccio, sure.

Harry's so averse to using it that we don't see very much of what the Mantle can really do for him, but when we do, it's quite impressive.

Look at the trailer when Carlos takes his best shot and the flames partly and briefly turn green, compared to Harry who doesn’t use Fuego or Forzare, he uses Friga and all the flames turn Winter ice blue for much longer. He may have hit the Fomor with a glacier.

When he fought with Eb, Harry didn’t draw on Winter or soulfire to enhance his spells, when he does he is going to surprise other wizards. And worry them. His ice spells may be more powerful than Eb’s Earth Magic.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2020, 07:39:32 AM »
Look at the trailer when Carlos takes his best shot and the flames partly and briefly turn green, compared to Harry who doesn’t use Fuego or Forzare, he uses Friga and all the flames turn Winter ice blue for much longer. He may have hit the Fomor with a glacier.

When he fought with Eb, Harry didn’t draw on Winter or soulfire to enhance his spells, when he does he is going to surprise other wizards. And worry them. His ice spells may be more powerful than Eb’s Earth Magic.
I assume you're not counting the cloud of ice and fog he called up.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2020, 11:13:22 AM »
No, not a direct attack, it was on designed to distract Eb

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2020, 11:48:14 AM »
Re: Murphy's physical condition...

Harry did say: "Unless you want to get Faustian."

Sure, Murphy said no quite firmly when they were sitting on the couch with no idea what's coming. Watching a titan and an army of fomor coming to kill everyone in Chicago is something quite different, though.

I wonder what kind of deal Molly might be able to offer her, for a limited-time healing just to get her back in the fight for one night?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2020, 03:20:55 PM »
Depends if it is just Molly. Mab, Titania, Sarissa and Odin are also there and who knows about Mac?

Harry is more effective when working with Murphy, Mab knows this, a healed Murphy in return for Murphy’s service to Mab (like Elaine with Aurora). Titania offers to heal Murphy for her service, and after the battle deny her to Harry as revenge for the loss of her daughter. She doesn’t even have to become the Summer Knight.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2020, 05:00:23 PM »
Depends if it is just Molly. Mab, Titania, Sarissa and Odin are also there and who knows about Mac?

Harry is more effective when working with Murphy, Mab knows this, a healed Murphy in return for Murphy’s service to Mab (like Elaine with Aurora). Titania offers to heal Murphy for her service, and after the battle deny her to Harry as revenge for the loss of her daughter. She doesn’t even have to become the Summer Knight.
Murphy isn't entirely an idiot, though. She might fall for Molly, who is notionally on Harry's side in the Fae rigamarole and seems like a distorted reflection of a friend.

It could even serve as a source of tension, when she finds out Molly Carpenter is no more, and Molly the Winter Lady now deals in mostly bad faith like all the Fae (except to their vassals, like Harry).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2020, 05:05:30 PM »
Murphy isn't entirely an idiot, though. She might fall for Molly, who is notionally on Harry's side in the Fae rigamarole and seems like a distorted reflection of a friend.

It could even serve as a source of tension, when she finds out Molly Carpenter is no more, and Molly the Winter Lady now deals in mostly bad faith like all the Fae (except to their vassals, like Harry).

I think it will depend on how dire it gets and what kind of trouble Harry is in.  Yeah, I can see her acting like an idiot to save Harry.  She has proven that she can lose her head in a crisis, that is how a Sword got broken and she got badly hurt in the first place.. Love can do that to a person. 

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2020, 05:23:47 PM »
I've always wondered what Warden/White Council battle tactics were.

I've always thought ward masters on the front line, pyromancers just behind as artillery and every so often a Tank like Morgan or Ebenezar or Harry charging the lines trying to take out the commander.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2020, 06:58:11 PM »
Re: Murphy's physical condition...

Harry did say: "Unless you want to get Faustian."

Sure, Murphy said no quite firmly when they were sitting on the couch with no idea what's coming. Watching a titan and an army of fomor coming to kill everyone in Chicago is something quite different, though.

I wonder what kind of deal Molly might be able to offer her, for a limited-time healing just to get her back in the fight for one night?

Key word, "deal" which means the healing won't come for free.  Now Molly also loves Harry on a number of levels, so for his happiness she might not ask for much in return... Then again, there may be a "Fae Pay Scale," or in other words, healing comes at a high price and Molly might not have many options.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2020, 08:00:44 PM »
I've always wondered what Warden/White Council battle tactics were.

I've always thought ward masters on the front line, pyromancers just behind as artillery and every so often a Tank like Morgan or Ebenezar or Harry charging the lines trying to take out the commander.

Hide behind Morgan, and look busy.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2020, 08:42:58 PM »
Key word, "deal" which means the healing won't come for free.  Now Molly also loves Harry on a number of levels, so for his happiness she might not ask for much in return... Then again, there may be a "Fae Pay Scale," or in other words, healing comes at a high price and Molly might not have many options.

Yes. If we learned anything from Cold Case it's that Molly's own wants come second to Winter Law. (See: inability to tell Carlos what she was up to) I flinched when I saw Harry make an open-ended "I'll owe you one" deal with the Winter Lady. That was a spectacularly stupid unforced error, which will almost certainly come back to bite him in the rear.