Author Topic: Now THAT's what I call a Sample Chapter!  (Read 12342 times)

Offline kel0700

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Now THAT's what I call a Sample Chapter!
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2020, 05:45:43 PM »
In battle ground Harry is worried that lara will use her last favour to stop him warning the paranet about the titan but in peace talks mab said that she's already agreed to take care of one of the favours and she's assigning Harry to take care of the other two and Harry took care of them in peace talks, so is it a mistake or am I missing something?

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2020, 06:29:23 PM »
What is interesting is if Christos is Black Council as Harry and Eb both seem to think, why is he going to the Peace Talks instead of being there for the vote? 

It's starting to look to me that Cristos is a dupe rather than a player.  Harry sees it; even if he doesn't consciously think it, when he suggests to Lara that she use Cristos to broker a deal with Etri.  What you've added about Cristos not hanging around at Council HQ to influence the vote against Harry adds to the evidence that Cristos isn't Black Council, but even so, Cristos is someone who might be easily manipulated by a Black Council agent.

And Eb is talking about Harry going off to glad hand and politic for his position, when Harry says he can't because he is on the security team, Eb didn't seem to know about it.  Now supposedly he is the head man for the security team, yet it is Carlos who claims to be who wants Harry on the team.. So is it yet another sign of dementia in Eb that he has forgotten that fact? Or is Carlos about to be the one close who stabs Harry in the back?  Another thought, the bearded guy Harry blows away in the trailer, Christos?

And yet, according to Carlos it was Ebenezer who sent him to notify Harry about the Peace Talks and that they would take place in Chicago.  Eb knew that Carlos had the authority to pick whoever he wanted as part of the security team.  He knew that Harry and Carlos had worked closely together in the past, and they had done so on multiple occasions.  How could Eb not foresee that Warden Ramirez might want Harry to join the security team, unless as you say, Ebenezer is starting to lose his mental acuity. 

The person Harry wastes in the trailer has noticeable facial hair.  The people we know who fit that description are Warden Ramirez, Warden Chandler and Detective Rudolph.  The description of Senior Council member Cristos doesn't mention any facial hair. The person Harry blasts with the spell has a full beard and mustache which meets the beard.  Warden Ramirez (in the trailer) has a goatee but his mustache doesn't reach his beard.  Warden Ramirez' clothing doesn't match that of the person Harry is blasting.  The clothing that Harry's target is wearing could be something suitable for either Warden Chandler or Detective Rudolph.  Harry's target/victim is carrying a handgun.  This is suitable for both Rudolph and Chandler.  (Chandler's magical ability has to do with the manipulation of time.)  Both Warden Chandler and Detective Rudolph are described as having mustaches, but not beards.  However, while the mismatch between Warden Ramirez' facial hair and that of the person Harry ices can't be easily explained away; because they both occur in the trailer, the difference between the book description and what we see in the trailer could be a simple misdirection so we don't think it could be either Chandler or Rudolph.

It was Conspiracy Theorist who suggested Detective Rudolph.  Initially I didn't like that idea very much, but if Rudolph shot Murphy, then I could see Harry going off on him.  I still favor Warden Chandler, but the handgun is more appropriate for Detective Rudolph, so I can't discount him either. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »
Harry:
Rashid:
Don't assume someone on the council knows something because another council member knows. With important information the opposite is more likely.

Yup, I bet that only Eb and Rashid even know that Harry is Warden of Demonreach.
And yet, according to Carlos it was Ebenezer who sent him to notify Harry about the Peace Talks and that they would take place in Chicago.  Eb knew that Carlos had the authority to pick whoever he wanted as part of the security team.  He knew that Harry and Carlos had worked closely together in the past, and they had done so on multiple occasions.  How could Eb not foresee that Warden Ramirez might want Harry to join the security team, unless as you say, Ebenezer is starting to lose his mental acuity. 
Exactly, it doesn't make any sense, also since Carlos had already talked to Harry, you'd think he'd have informed him by that point.  However loss of short term memory is a symptom of demensia.
It was Conspiracy Theorist who suggested Detective Rudolph.  Initially I didn't like that idea very much, but if Rudolph shot Murphy, then I could see Harry going off on him.  I still favor Warden Chandler, but the handgun is more appropriate for Detective Rudolph, so I can't discount him either. 

I didn't even think of Rudolph killing Murphy, but if he did, yeah, I can see Harry blasting him to atoms..

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2020, 07:31:30 PM »
Yea I dont think it matters who, someone kills Murphy someone's gonna be have a real bad existence until suddenly they don't anymore lol

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2020, 07:48:38 PM »
Yea I dont think it matters who, someone kills Murphy someone's gonna be have a real bad existence until suddenly they don't anymore lol

Harry does know necromancy, and he might be just angry enough not to care about using it. A bad afterlife isn't out of the question.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2020, 08:06:26 PM »
In battle ground Harry is worried that lara will use her last favour to stop him warning the paranet about the titan but in peace talks mab said that she's already agreed to take care of one of the favours and she's assigning Harry to take care of the other two and Harry took care of them in peace talks, so is it a mistake or am I missing something?
Good point. Maybe the introduction didn't count as a true favour, more as a 'you wouldn't deny someone who Winter owes a favour such a nothingness?'

Or it's counted as part of the favour 'save Thomas'.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2020, 08:08:01 PM »
Harry does know necromancy, and he might be just angry enough not to care about using it. A bad afterlife isn't out of the question.
lol, that was my point. They won't have any sort of existence once he smears them across the pavement.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2020, 08:33:02 PM »
It will be interesting if Eb has dementia.  It kind of breaks canon since Wizards are super healers.  And I don't think Harry is going to break the first Law, not as long as 44 Magnums exist. And if he did, wouldn't a Rudolph sickle be more appropriate.  Maybe a lawn ornament in Mab's garden.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2020, 08:55:39 PM »
It will be interesting if Eb has dementia.  It kind of breaks canon since Wizards are super healers.  And I don't think Harry is going to break the first Law, not as long as 44 Magnums exist. And if he did, wouldn't a Rudolph sickle be more appropriate.  Maybe a lawn ornament in Mab's garden.

Supposedly wizards are quick healers, but dementia is a disease of the brain.  Even Harry, young and healthy, didn't Uriel say it would take at least fifty years for his spinal cord to mend?  Who knows dementia may even accelerate in wizards because of the nature of their hard wiring.   

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2020, 09:07:33 PM »
Good point. Maybe the introduction didn't count as a true favour, more as a 'you wouldn't deny someone who Winter owes a favour such a nothingness?'

That was my take.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2020, 09:09:42 PM »

My favourite Rudolph punishment, turn him over to Kringle when he is running the Wild Hunt, and let him be transformed into a real brown nosed reindeer.

Wizards are complete healers, over time , but old age will still kill them if the damage outruns the ability to heal from it.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2020, 09:10:25 PM »
Being introduced to Christos is no favour.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2020, 09:29:36 PM »
Except on the reread, from what Eb said, not everyone on the Senior Council even know he is the Warden of Demonreach. 
Where was that? I missed it.

What is interesting is if Christos is Black Council as Harry and Eb both seem to think, why is he going to the Peace Talks instead of being there for the vote?
Because one vote isn't likely to matter as it's a vote of the entire Council and not the Senior Council? Pre PT there is enough support to throw Harry out? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Certainly not Martha Liberty, we find out she is great pals with the Loa, which suggest she is also a Voodoo Priestess (which looking on Wikipedia goes back to the White God as creator) Harry though has a much closer relationship via Uriel.
Didn't Jim say one of the Senior Council members was a "saint;" saint being a term for a practitioner (maybe wizard, I don't remember) who had faith magic as well? If I remember that correctly, then Martha Liberty sounds like a good candidate. Before I figured it was more likely to be Listens to Wind.

Harry has:-

(1) Soul fire
(2) the Winter Knight Mantle
(3) the Placard
(4) the Athame
(5) the shroud
(6) the crown
(7) Warden of Demonreach
(8) Bonea

Not even Eb knows of (1), (3) - (6) and (8)
Also 5, right? He could know about the Soul fire. I'm not saying he does. He probably doesn't. Eb has severely underestimated Harry. Harry has been deflecting instead of stopping attacks for a long time now.

That's what I thought too.

Yup, I bet that only Eb and Rashid even know that Harry is Warden of Demonreach.
I'm pretty sure everyone who was on the Senior Council at the point of Morgan's trial knows based on Eb's journal entry. LtW definitely knows Harry claimed Demonreach as his Sanctum. I'm fairly sure Ancient Mai knows as well.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2020, 09:47:53 PM »
Because one vote isn't likely to matter as it's a vote of the entire Council and not the Senior Council? Pre PT there is enough support to throw Harry out? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Didn't Jim say one of the Senior Council members was a "saint;" saint being a term for a practitioner (maybe wizard, I don't remember) who had faith magic as well? If I remember that correctly, then Martha Liberty sounds like a good candidate. Before I figured it was more likely to be Listens to Wind.
Also 5, right? He could know about the Soul fire. I'm not saying he does. He probably doesn't. Eb has severely underestimated Harry. Harry has been deflecting instead of stopping attacks for a long time now.
That's what I thought too.
I'm pretty sure everyone who was on the Senior Council at the point of Morgan's trial knows based on Eb's journal entry. LtW definitely knows Harry claimed Demonreach as his Sanctum. I'm fairly sure Ancient Mai knows as well.
They don’t tell each other. Listen to wind knows Harry claimed the island but he might not know the function of the island. The Merlin probably does not know the details and the rest of the council, except for the black staf and the gatekeeper, know even less.

Ancient Mai only knows the island has bad feng shui.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2020, 12:19:05 AM »
        View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 09:29:36 PM »

Quote from: Mira on Yesterday at 11:50:24 AM

Except on the reread, from what Eb said, not everyone on the Senior Council even know he is the Warden of Demonreach.

Strongly implied page 27 Peace Talks

"If it gets bad, I can always fall back to Demonreach."
"God, if they knew the whole truth about that place," Ebenezar muttered.

If the members of the Senior Council don't know the truth about the island, then Harry's job as
Warden of it is meaningless to them.  In short, they are ignorant, so far from Eb's journal back in Turn Coat the only two wizards who seem to know what the island is and what is means to be the Warden of it are Rashid and Eb.