Author Topic: Is Peabody's partner at the Peace Talks? (My guess)  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Is Peabody's partner at the Peace Talks? (My guess)
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 12:16:49 AM »
She would kill him herself, to avoid discovery.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 02:31:32 AM »
The only problem I have with it being Maeve is there are no consequences if it was her.  The only exception would be a time travel episode where Harry goes back to that specific time and takes actions or counter actions that somehow involve Maeve, without interfering with her joining Peabody.  Plus, I think it's far more likely Harry goes back to events of Proven Guilty.  On top of all that, ClintACK is correct in pointing out that Maeve wasn't much of a team player.  I don't she'd give a damn about helping a mortal wizard, even if he was her ally.  I think the only way Maeve would have teamed up with Peabody on Demonreach would have been if she had owed him a favor, and a pretty sizable favor at that.
Maeve was infected so the only thing needed for her to be there was Nemesis putting enough effort into it to do so. Everything as part of the great plan to solve her mommy issues by destroying reality as it is.

And protecting Peabody was important for Nemesis. Having him in place was a huge advantage for the reds and helped destabilize everything.

And messing up Harry was a bonus. Just by being there and let loose a few monsters. It has no downside for her. She had fun.

Strictly speaking Maeve does not even has to know why she did it, just that it seemed a good idea at the time.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:56:54 AM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 02:45:47 AM »
The interesting thing about Peabody's partner in Turn Coat is that while Peabody took the Way from Edinburgh to Chicago, his partner didn't. (Or he would have appeared in the photos Harry's PI took.)

That would seem to rule out Chandler.
Peabody had to go to Chicago to find the witness. Harry got lucky that Luccio was Peabody's suspect for the witness.

Offline Hagbard Celine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2020, 07:00:44 AM »
The room itself surviving doesn't mean that everything in it did. (I mean, a basement room wouldn't generally be completely destroyed by a fire/collapse of the building above it, would it? Or am I way off base here?)

The trapdoor survived with just scorches on it, but Harry thinks the floor caved in over the room and the stuff was burned/melted.  He can see marks on the floor where his lab stuff *was* and he can also see the summoning circle in the floor.  I think that people have been acting like the room was untouched by the fire, but it wasn't.  Aren't there somewhat contradictory WOJ's on Little Chicago?  One time he said it was melted into a slab and another time he was more cagey and did one of his typical "Nothing could have survived all that heat" lines. 
Never Whistle While You're Pissing!

Offline HulkDresden

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 10:38:59 AM »
 Because of this thread I'm now fully on board with Chandler. I just reread/re-listened to turn coat. It was pointed out that the spiders were in the way to Edinburgh to send as a warning for Peabody? What if they were there to actually kill someone, and Chandler who greeted Harry... was actually the person who gave Peabody a heads up. After all Peabody just happens to run into Harry with his hand covered in ink insisting there is something Harry needs to sign.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:44:35 AM by HulkDresden »

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2020, 04:49:30 PM »
Yeah, the Chandler theory seems very convincing.

My one problem with it is that there's a WoJ that he's watched pretty closely due to the kind of magic he uses, and that's why he's in the position he's in. So it might be hard for him to be a "Black Council"/Circle agent.

But if he mostly passed information and didn't do any overt black magic, until PT (summoning the Cornerhounds?) because he knew through the Circle that Things Were Getting Real (Ethniu and all)... That might work.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2020, 05:46:29 PM »
His gift is chronomancy.

Now, how can one use chronomancy acceptably given the laws?

I suppose passive observation would be allowed, be very useful for a Warden to be able to perceive the near-immediate future and the past as it happened.

Does that change any of the scenes with Chandler?

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 11:18:45 PM »
His gift is chronomancy.

Now, how can one use chronomancy acceptably given the laws?

I suppose passive observation would be allowed, be very useful for a Warden to be able to perceive the near-immediate future and the past as it happened.

Does that change any of the scenes with Chandler?

Not so much the specific conversations, but it suggests that Chandler might have detected that someone ran into the giant spiders in the nevernever and survived them and, or Chandler could have seen that Harry would soon arrive at Edinburgh.  He might have been able to pass this information on to Peabody.  Ebenezer and Harry were able to communicate with speaking stones (I think that's what they were called) in Changes.  There are probably other covert communication methods used by wizards.  Plus, we don't know how long Chandler had been on guard duty when Harry arrived.  If Chandler was inside the Edinburgh complex when he saw past and, or future events with Harry playing out, he could have spoken directly to Peabody before going out to take up position to be able to meet Harry.

Actually, after rereading the conversation between Harry and Chandler in Turn Coat, Chandler knew where all the Senior Council members were inside the complex.  Now it could be that Chandler knew what each member's focus was on; be it direct investigation of La Fortier's murder or waiting with a strike team for news about Morgan and so on, but it suggests; though it does not prove, that Warden Chandler had been inside the complex quite recently and that explains his knowledge of where the various Senior Council members could be found.  It's a minor point, but it would mean that Chandler was easily able to communicate with Peabody before going out to meet Harry. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 11:31:30 PM »
KurtinStGeorge
  Actually, after rereading the conversation between Harry and Chandler in Turn Coat, Chandler knew where all the Senior Council members were inside the complex.  Now it could be that Chandler knew what each member's focus was on; be it direct investigation of La Fortier's murder or waiting with a strike team for news about Morgan and so on, but it suggests; though it does not prove, that Warden Chandler had been inside the complex quite recently and that explains his knowledge of where the various Senior Council members could be found.  It's a minor point, but it would mean that Chandler was easily able to communicate with Peabody before going out to meet Harry. 
Good point.
I was thinking, with his chromomancy he would also know when to be back in time at his post when someone comes by, when he leaves for errands like for example being with Peabody on Demonreach.
So it would appear that he never left his post.
Maybe the spiders were just a delaying tactic, so that he would have more time to hurry back, when someone comes from the nevernever side.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2020, 11:40:05 PM »
KurtinStGeorgeGood point.
I was thinking, with his chromomancy he would also know when to be back in time at his post when someone comes by, when he leaves for errands like for example being with Peabody on Demonreach.
So it would appear that he never left his post.
Maybe the spiders were just a delaying tactic, so that he would have more time to hurry back, when someone comes from the nevernever side.
His future sight is pretty unreliable thanks to free will IIRC.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2020, 11:50:45 PM »
His future sight is pretty unreliable thanks to free will IIRC.
That would mean, he could see someone coming as soon as the person has decided to come. The decision is not made spontaneously like "oh, look, there is a way, I think I will go to Edinburgh now", so he has enough time to get back, in theory.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2020, 09:33:28 AM »
Yeah. I mean, someone could always change their mind later; Dresdenverse future sight isn't perfect.

But it does seem to be usable, at least if you're really good at it*; the Gatekeeper seems to be able to get some benefit from it.

Probably, if you can look at multiple possible futures, you can see how much of a risk it is before you decide to act on the information.

*It seems to come with problematic side effects for weak talents, like those with Cassandra's Tears, or Abby's ability to look a few seconds into the future in WN.