Author Topic: The ads!  (Read 28510 times)

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
Re: The ads!
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2007, 06:58:06 PM »
I've been bordering on psychosis for years.

Offline MonaLS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2007, 04:41:22 AM »
You can always get the same Border's coupons in your email by subscribing to . Of course that doesn't support this site, but it's another coupon you can use.
“There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast” Anonymous

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2007, 04:51:39 AM »
Yeah, but it's more fun to see how many different ways I can say Borders.

Offline BlueStocking

• Posty McPostington
  • Caution: May cause loud.
    • View Profile
    • I twitter :D
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2007, 07:28:58 AM »
We don't have a Borders close enough for me to get use from a coupon.  Which makes me sad cuz I have a Borders card from when I was in Greensboro.  Now, if there were coupons for Barns And Noble and Books-A-Million, I'd be all set.
"So, you're saying that if we don't do something, everything will go wonkytaters?"
"Umm...is wonkytaters a bad thing?"
"Yes."
"Then yes.  Everything will go wonkytaters."

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2007, 03:39:45 PM »
...I've got an ad for Tony Hawk's Proving Ground... Who mentioned Tony?
Quote from: CrazyGerbilLady
Full Assed FTW!

Quote from: Snowleopard
I have a friend who'd say: "That sounds vaguely obscene and if there's anything I can't stand it's vagueness!"

Lunch_Box

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2007, 06:05:55 PM »
Your lack of willingness to support the site and general bitterness about Google is noted.  Thanks.

It's also not something I want discussed in this thread.  I'll lock if it folks go the bitching route.

I thought this was the authors official page? I would assume buying the books is supporting the site. If it was a fan driven site, I would support it. But seeing as it is suppose to be the official authors site, and run by someone who made lic. deals for a rpg game. Would not really qualify as a fan driven site in my book. Sorry if your bitter that my perspective on it differs from yours.

And I would hardly say I was bitching or bitter. Just pointing out that I don't like hidden relinks to other sites burried in the pages. Ads or not.

If your finding the cost of running this site to prohibitive. Why not just add a donate button? I have no problems donating to a site to help maintain it. But I'm not going to open my browser to exec other sites code, that I don't know what it does, nor visit or use those sites. just for the sake of viewing adds I will never click on. I get bombarded with enough adds, without allowing them to send them to me willingly.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:20:32 PM by Lunch_Box »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »
It's Jim Butcher's official site, which is what my fan-site for Jim turned into.  I run it; Jim doesn't.  It vastly predates the RPG license, which grew out of my friendship with Jim (and to date, I've spent many thousands of dollars on the RPG which I can't make it back until we get the thing published... which has been a long, hard road and isn't done yet).

The only compensation I get for providing this site is revenues gotten through folks clicking on ads (which aren't "hidden" or "buried" -- they're simple banners at the top and bottom of the page) or buying books or t-shirts through the "store" page on http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

You can choose to support the efforts I've made to provide this site, or not, but you can't expect me to look kindly on you when you come in here and pee on my pocketbook.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2007, 06:19:51 PM »
I thought this was the authors official page? I would assume buying the books is supporting the site. If it was a fan driven site, I would support it. But seeing as it is suppose to be the official authors site, and run by someone who made lic. deals for a rpg game. Would not really qualify as a fan driven site in my book. Sorry if your bitter that my perspective on it differs from yours.

And I would hardly say I was bitching. Just pointing out that I don't like hidden relinks to other sites burried in the pages. Ads or not.

Y'know, I would not presume to speak for Fred, but official site or not, there are bills associated with running a site this large.  Fortunately, Fred (iago) chose the least objectionable way to ensure the site continues to exist.  Since you have them blocked, it's not even really an issue, is it?  For the rest of us, we don't care since they don't interfere with anything, and thanks to the Borders ads, I'm saving money on my book purchases.  Always a plus.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2007, 06:26:13 PM »
Box - You make an awful lot of assumptions for someone with so little time logged in on the board. We're a pretty friendly place, with a lot of really awesome people who like to be NICE to one another!

Perhaps you should take a little time and get a feel for the place?

This is a message board attached to Jim's site, and as I understand it, iago and the other mods have been doing the work they do here on pretty much a volunteer basis, in fact, absorbing expenses out of pocket. I could be wrong, of course, I'm not sure. At any rate, it's not like Iago's going to retire on what he's making here.

And I'd have to say, if you stick around and take a good look, this message board is definitely driven by the fans. (In mmost cases, right into the gutter, but dfriven, nonetheless.)

Oh, and in iago's defense, your opinion may be valid, but your delivery definitely smacked of bitter bitching, too, as does this one.  You might want to work on that. I have no idea if you truly are a pompous, arrogant, snide snark in real life, but it's definitely how you're coming across on "paper" to me.  

If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Lunch_Box

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »
It's Jim Butcher's official site, which is what my fan-site for Jim turned into.  I run it; Jim doesn't.  It vastly predates the RPG license, which grew out of my friendship with Jim (and to date, I've spent many thousands of dollars on the RPG which I can't make it back until we get the thing published... which has been a long, hard road and isn't done yet).

The only compensation I get for providing this site is revenues gotten through folks clicking on ads (which aren't "hidden" or "buried" -- they're simple banners at the top and bottom of the page) or buying books or t-shirts through the "store" page on http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

You can choose to support the efforts I've made to provide this site, or not, but you can't expect me to look kindly on you when you come in here and pee on my pocketbook.

Well I don't know how this turned from my saying I don't like adds. To some assumption that I refuse to support this site. Add a donate button!  And yes I don't like google. Don't see what my opion of them has to do with this site. But whatever.

Box - You make an awful lot of assumptions for someone with so little time logged in on the board. We're a pretty friendly place, with a lot of really awesome people who like to be NICE to one another!

Perhaps you should take a little time and get a feel for the place?

What assumptions might those be? That an official site cost is covered by the publishers? Or possibly a part of the rpg lic? Don't see how those assumptions would be wrong to make. Nor do I see what I posted has anything to do with being nice to others or not.

If anything, this is just the bitter over reaction from a bunch of people because my opion on add driven finical compensation models differ from your own. So I'm now being accused of "not being nice" as well as a slew of derogatory statements.

You might want to work on that. I have no idea if you truly are a pompous, arrogant, snide snark in real life, but it's definitely how you're coming across on "paper" to me. 

Oh yes,  you come across as a really nice friendly person. Since you have no basis on which to base such derogatory remarks.

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2007, 06:50:28 PM »
I'm not going to start a flame war in here, but I do want to point out that maybe you don't see how your posts come across, LB.  I went back and reread your initial post and your response to Fred, and in the first one it sounds as if you think we're all fools for not objecting to the ads, given that the script is so dangerous and all.  In the second it sounds as if you believe Fred's trying to grab all the money he can for...what?  Maybe that isn't your intent, but you come across as rude and snarky.  Personally, I'm impressed by how calmly Fred's taking the apparent insults.  Then again, he and mods tend not to be overtly nasty regardless of the provocation.   

Lunch_Box

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »
I'm not going to start a flame war in here, but I do want to point out that maybe you don't see how your posts come across, LB.  I went back and reread your initial post and your response to Fred, and in the first one it sounds as if you think we're all fools for not objecting to the ads, given that the script is so dangerous and all.  In the second it sounds as if you believe Fred's trying to grab all the money he can for...what?  Maybe that isn't your intent, but you come across as rude and snarky.  Personally, I'm impressed by how calmly Fred's taking the apparent insults.  Then again, he and mods tend not to be overtly nasty regardless of the provocation.   

Well, I guess I don't see it. But if that is the way my post came across, then I apologize. I guess I let my distaste for company's that log and keep records of everywhere you surf and search offensive. I guess I let it bleed over into my posts.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2007, 08:10:55 PM »
Yeah, honestly, my reaction was more to the tone than the content.  I know plenty of folks who are uncomfortable with Google; I'm not one of them (I happen to believe that privacy is dead, so a lot of the stuff that would bother you definitely wouldn't bother me, and besides, I WANT Google to advertise at me more effectively; but that's beside the point).

Regardless, sorry for reacting so strongly.  When it's the few hundred bucks I might gain from running the site on the line, I get a little persnickety when folks get all tweaked about my efforts to sustain that. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2007, 08:35:13 PM »
If anything, this is just the bitter over reaction from a bunch of people because my opion on add driven finical compensation models differ from your own. So I'm now being accused of "not being nice" as well as a slew of derogatory statements.

No, darlin, this is a bitter reaction to the way you present your opinion, not to the content of your opinion.

Oh yes,  you come across as a really nice friendly person. Since you have no basis on which to base such derogatory remarks.

Sure I do. It's right there in your posts. That's all I've got to base it on, and I was being nice. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you're not really how you seem to come across here in real life.

Now if you want me to get "not nice".... we could go there. But I'd really rather not. There are so many other more interesting ways to spend my online time... like making new friends.  ;D

If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2007, 10:03:15 PM »
Meh.  Let's leave Lunch Box be.  I think the appropriate apologies have been made on both sides, really, so I'm at peace, here.  Back to your driving up the likelihood Borders ads will show up!
Fred Hicks