Poll

What do you think the trip back from the Island will be like?

Offscreen/nothing happens
11 (68.8%)
An incredibly awkward strategy session
1 (6.3%)
Interrupted by Fomor attacking/sinking the boat
4 (25%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: The trip back  (Read 2141 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
The trip back
« on: August 16, 2020, 12:41:44 AM »
Figured I might as well ask and see what people think before the Battle Ground sample chapters come out and answer the question. As of the end of Peace Talks there's still an hour long trip back to the docks right over a lake the Fomor are operating out of. Do you think anything will happen on the way back?
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The trip back
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 12:43:28 AM »
Harry has a threesome with Murphy and Freydis, much to Lara’s frustration.

More seriously, Harry sleeps, eats some more snacks.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 01:51:35 AM »
Battle Ground preview chapters?  I hope so, but I think you're being a bit optimistic.  I suppose it depends on what kind of spoilers or big twists for the rest story are in the opening chapters of Battle Ground.  I won't be surprised if we only get one or two preview chapters in the days before Battle Ground is released.

My guess is there has to be some complication to the overall story within the first couple of chapters of BG.  Otherwise, Harry and Lara show up; though probably separately, at Marcone's castle and announce that they're ready to fight the Fomor and Ethniu.  How boring would that be, especially after having to wait about 2 1/2 months to continue the story? 

The opening six preview chapters of Peace Talks set up most of the pieces on the chessboard and ended with Harry facing a big dilemma.  My guess is that Battle Ground shouldn't take that long to do something similar.  So maybe we do get a short strategy session and Harry and Lara land back in Chicago.  Once back on dry land Lara has to get together with her forces and Harry has to meet up with the Sanya, Waldo and perhaps even the Alphas and clue them all in.  Perhaps at the end of the chapter Harry finds out that the White Council has ordered his arrest or something equally dramatic occurs.  I think that's pretty much where the story will have to stay until the book is released.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:07:17 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 02:08:12 AM »
There was a delayed something last week according to the website, a microfiction or chapter drop, perhaps, it may have been put back because fan speculation was too close, and a bit of distancing in time, or in the case of a microfiction a re-edit to stop it being too spoilers. I would love a Hendrick’s and Mac Microfiction with Harry as narrator where he elaborates a conversation between the two consisting of looks, gestures and the occasional nonsense syllable.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 02:40:52 AM »
Harry has a threesome with Murphy and Freydis, much to Lara’s frustration.

More seriously, Harry sleeps, eats some more snacks.
And that's why my first guess/option is that nothing happens.
Battle Ground preview chapters?  I hope so, but I think you're being a bit optimistic.  I suppose it depends on what kind of spoilers or big twists for the rest story are in the opening chapters of Battle Ground.  I won't be surprised if we only get one or two preview chapters in the days before Battle Ground is released.

My guess is there has to be some complication to the overall story within the first couple of chapters of BG.  Otherwise, Harry and Lara show up; though probably separately, at Marcone's castle and announce that they're ready to fight the Fomor and Ethniu.  How boring would that be, especially after having to wait about 2 1/2 months to continue the story? 

The opening six preview chapters of Peace Talks set up most of the pieces on the chessboard and ended with Harry facing a big dilemma.  My guess is that Battle Ground shouldn't take that long to do something similar.  So maybe we do get a short strategy session and Harry and Lara land back in Chicago.  Once back on dry land Lara has to get together with her forces and Harry has to meet up with the Sanya, Waldo and perhaps even the Alphas and clue them all in.  Perhaps at the end of the chapter Harry finds out that the White Council has ordered his arrest or something equally dramatic occurs.  I think that's pretty much where the story will have to stay until the book is released.
Priscellie confirmed we're getting them about a week ago over on reddit. How many chapters we'll get is the big question.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 03:02:01 AM »
Harry sleeps and has a discussion with his Id for a couple of chapters, or an involved dream sequence where it lays the bedrock for what happened with Thomas, his subconscious has been working the case.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 09:42:59 AM »
Given all the jump transitions in Peace Talks, it would be weird not to jump to the next interesting thing to start Battle Ground.

I'm imagining they get back to the docks and realize the cars are all dead and it's a long trip back to the BFS headquarters over streets clogged with EMP-dead cars. Then Harry realizes he's right next to the Field Museum. He remembers riding through the streets of another EMP-dark Chicago on the back of a zombie T-Rex.

A-choo! Sue!! Soulfire. "Sometimes the shortest distance between point A and point B is a T-rex."

End Chapter 1.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 09:54:40 AM »
Harry has a threesome with Murphy and Freydis, much to Lara’s frustration
Lara would enjoy that. It also would remove Harry’s protection.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 09:58:58 AM »
A-choo! Sue!! Soulfire. "Sometimes the shortest distance between point A and point B is a T-rex."

End Chapter 1.

I would like that.

I think the rest of the boat trip will be off screen. But the chapter will not be boring. The first chapter will start with them arriving at the docks. There might be some older cars that survived the hex or had only minor difficulties that still let them be drivable (is this even a word???). 
And than something will happen. Could be Eb still waiting on the dock, could be fomor, could be Outsiders.
Could be they arrive in the middle of a fight between at least two of the three.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 11:41:04 AM »
Someone needs to do a timeline within Peace Talks as to when Harry has taken medication to inhibit his sneezing and when he has sneezed.

The last sneeze would have been about one and a half/ 2hours previous when rescuing Thomas.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 12:50:39 PM »
I'm imagining they get back to the docks and realize the cars are all dead and it's a long trip back to the BFS headquarters over streets clogged with EMP-dead cars. Then Harry realizes he's right next to the Field Museum. He remembers riding through the streets of another EMP-dark Chicago on the back of a zombie T-Rex.

Seems to be a lot of speculation Sue will be back in BG. Didn't Harry tell Carlos in DB that he wouldn't have been able to raise Sue without all the pre-work the necromancers put in to weaken the veil in Chicago? It's not necessarily clear soulfire or Winter would make him any stronger at necromancy to pull it off on another night. The Blackstaff might, though, if it comes to him later in the book.

If conjuritis was introduced to lay the groundwork for what makes it easier for him to call Sue back up a second time, though, I'm going to be a little put off about the writing choices.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 01:07:44 PM »
Which is why this Sue won’t be a Zombie. Sue is massively popular and Jim painted himself into a corner, so he needs a different mechanism to achieve the same end. Last time it was a particularly turbulent Halloween and Harry had access to the bones. Hence the conjuritis and the Soul Fire. I doubt Harry could Conjouritis something he is not familiar with, but he is familiar with Sue, and the Soul fire would allow him to stabilise and control Sue.