Author Topic: Who called up the corner hounds and why didn't anyone notice...?  (Read 8924 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Who called up the corner hounds and why didn't anyone notice...?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2020, 06:50:26 PM »
If it were that easy then we could be ass deep in Outsiders, the Gates exist for a purpose, and  make it difficult to whistle in the Outsiders.

Well, it sort of is..  page 202 Blood Rites paperback Harry talking to Ms Vixen

"Oh," she said, regaining her composure.  "You underestimate my powers."
I snorted.  "You haven't got any powers."
"Yes, I do. I've killed with them."
"You've killed with a ritual,"I said.
"What's the difference?"
"The difference," I said, "is that if you have any skill of your own magic, you don't need a ritual."  "Whatever.  They're the same thing anyway.  Magic.  Power."
"No," I said.  "Look, a ritual spell like that doesn't have anything to do with you.  It's like a cosmic vending machine.  You put two quarters in, push the right button, and a curse comes flying out, courtesy of some psychotic otherworldly force that enjoys that kind of thing.  It doesn't take skill.  It doesn't take talent.  You could be a freaking monkey and invoke that curse just as well."

With a little help from the above ritual, Madge [a low level sorceress] called up He Who Walks Behind.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 07:03:13 PM »
We don't know that the corner hounds have anything to do with time travel in the DF. It's likely but not confirmed. And if it does, I doubt Harry knows.

I wouldn't be surprised if people have just stopped asking Harry where his new injuries come from.

Summoning Outsiders points to the Black Council. Harry might just let Eb decide whether or not to bring that up in front of a bunch of young wardens. It'd be different if it was just Ramirez.

This thread should be re-titled along the lines of “Who Let The Dogs Out, Who, Who, Who, Who ....”
Your jokes are terrible, and I love them.

I'm currently assuming that BG ends with another cliff hanger into Mirror Mirror.
I really hope not.

I'm not sure if they ex-wives' club summoned HHWBehind. I think it might have been a partial summoning. And Madge was a practitioner of some skill.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2020, 07:12:12 PM »
(I think there's also an Outsider in the graphic novel "War Cry", but I haven't seen that one...)

That one, at least, was called up by Peabody -- so not just a random schlub.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2020, 11:57:15 PM »
Summoning Outsiders points to the Black Council. Harry might just let Eb decide whether or not to bring that up in front of a bunch of young wardens. It'd be different if it was just Ramirez.

Yeah, that's a good point too.

I'm not sure if they ex-wives' club summoned HHWBehind.

Not exactly, at least that's not what they were trying to accomplish, but it's basically what happened. The ritual was interrupted, and instead of getting the desired effect (killer entropy curse), HWWBehind showed up.

I think it might have been a partial summoning.

Probably something like that, the manifestation of HWWBehind wasn't anything like the one Justin summoned (as seen in Harry's memories in GS). In BR he might not have had full access to his powers in the mortal world, maybe?

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 12:09:02 AM »
- The "evil eye cult" summoned HWWBehind in BR... though he didn't actually attack, just threatened Harry, so I'm not sure he was 100% "there" in a physically capable form.
- Peabody's mistfiend in TC was probably an Outsider (it's said to be "from the far reaches of the Nevernever", but a later book calls it an Outsider. At the very least, it's Outside-connected due to mordite.)
First was Madge's body. As I turned to leave, it suddenly sat up. Spines protruded from its skin, along with rivulets of slow, dead blood. Its face was ravaged shapeless, but it formed up into the features of the demon called He Who Walks Behind, and its mouth spoke in a honey-smooth, honey-sweet, inhuman voice. "I am returned, mortal man," the demon said through Madge's dead lips. "And I remember thee. Thou and I, we have unfinished business between us."

Then there was a bubbling hiss, and the corpse deflated like an empty balloon.
He seemed there enough to go with an "I'm back" taunt instead of anything else. Not sure what he's been up to since Blood Rites.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 01:06:38 AM »
He seemed there enough to go with an "I'm back" taunt instead of anything else. Not sure what he's been up to since Blood Rites.

He has been working as a lobbyist, he felt he was only demi-evil.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 02:18:35 AM »
He has been working as a lobbyist, he felt he was only demi-evil.

That's my favorite post of the day.

I'm currently assuming that BG ends with another cliff hanger into Mirror Mirror.  With that in mind, one possible person who might be interested in calling in an outsider might be Harry 2, for who knows what? Maybe to drag off Harry to some more convenient reality.

I have a feeling that if there is a cliff hanger at the end of BG, it won't have anything to do with the story.  Instead that story will have ended at it will be like the end of the old 90's Sci-fi TV show Quantum Leap.  Harry will be taken (it's the best word I can come up with) to another place where a bunch of people he recognizes but who look totally different; maybe some with burn scars, will be chasing Harry and throwing spells his way and the only thing Harry will be able to say on the last sentence of the last page is, "Oh boy!"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 02:30:09 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 03:50:07 AM »
There is nothing alluded to in Christmas Eve at all about anything regarding Mirror, Mirror, and it would be a poor time with far to many heavy hitters able to sense this in one place.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 11:00:06 AM »

Cliff hanger? ::) Fine 8) But I don't want to wait another six years to see how it turns out! >:(

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 11:57:16 AM »
Are you suggesting fans Misery Jim?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2020, 12:44:37 PM »
Are you suggesting fans Misery Jim?

Hell yeah..

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2020, 02:07:50 PM »
There is nothing alluded to in Christmas Eve at all about anything regarding Mirror, Mirror, and it would be a poor time with far to many heavy hitters able to sense this in one place.
You need better Star Trek lore. Try Tomorrow Is Yesterday and put Harry in the F104.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2020, 02:58:07 PM »
You need better Star Trek lore. Try Tomorrow Is Yesterday and put Harry in the F104.

That wouldn't work either, because the pilot in the fighter was the victim and Kirk and company had
to put it right.   I think "City on the Edge of Forever," might work better.  McCoy affected by an accidental drug injection goes through a time portal and saves a woman which destroys the future.  Kirk and Spock go back to undo it..  They are successful, but it is very sad because naturally Kirk has fallen in love with the woman he has to let die.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2020, 05:21:03 PM »
He seemed there enough to go with an "I'm back" taunt instead of anything else.

Well, the "cloud with spikes" manifestation is pretty different from the "always behind you" appearance HWWBehind has in Harry's GS memories of the fight.

But yeah, that might not reflect lesser power, maybe Walkers have a variety of possible forms, who knows how they work.

(A weird cloth ball thing flies out of HWWBefore when Harry 'kills' him in CD. Maybe that's the same as HWWBehind's cloud with spikes, and HWWBefore's "body" was a possessed corpse of a summoner.)

I was thinking that if he was fully powered he might want to do more damage rather than just kill his summoner.

But who knows, at this point in the series (pre-Winter Knight) the Outsiders might still have hopes of subverting Harry.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2020, 08:39:34 PM »
That wouldn't work either, because the pilot in the fighter was the victim and Kirk and company had
to put it right.   I think "City on the Edge of Forever," might work better.  McCoy affected by an accidental drug injection goes through a time portal and saves a woman which destroys the future.  Kirk and Spock go back to undo it..  They are successful, but it is very sad because naturally Kirk has fallen in love with the woman he has to let die.

In the Mirror Mirror Dresdenverse I could see Harry having to kill, or set up for someone else to kill, a Red Court Susan who has become far more powerful and dangerous than Bianca ever dreamed of being.  That could be a nod to both "City of Forever" and Mirror Mirror without being an exact copy of either.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx