Author Topic: Inconsistency Issue?  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Inconsistency Issue?
« on: August 24, 2020, 08:17:00 AM »
Upon my most recent re-read of the series, and Jim's release of a Morgan journal entry, I've come to notice something interesting. Both Morgan and Rashid suspect Harry of being Nemfected, and know he is Starborn. However, Eb claims this cannot happen Starborn. Do they simply not know all of the Starborn mojo powers? Or, is this supposed to be a hint (along with Eb's lack of self control, repeated warnings of treasury, and encouragement to do questionable magic things) that something is off?

I know we don't need yet another "Is Eb Nemfected?" thread. But... I hadn't seen this detail brought up before.
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Inconsistency Issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 08:48:13 AM »
I had indeed pondered this. As well as the 2000 year in the know Woj about Nicodemus compared to this 666 year cycle. Everything Eb said just seems... Off, to me.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »
Not necessarily, whilst a Starborn is immune to Nemesis, they are not immune to either their own bad choices, nor to mental entrapment by non-Outsiders. In either event they could become a cats paw or a willing ally instead of opponent of the Outsiders.

This is what I believe was attempted with Harry by Justin mental entrapment by a non- outsider. We have also seen those circumstances such as Changes where Harry has been tempted by black magic, those who know all say he would be good at it.

Morgan was keeping track of Harry to prevent just this happening, and when Harry disappeared and turned up killing DuMorne Morgan’s worst fears were realised, he didn’t Know DuMorne had just failed to entrap Harry, nor that he hadn’t called on dark magic but had called on Lea for help against Justin.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 10:52:29 AM »
Idk, the wording Morgan used made me think of Harry being carved out and worn around like a sock puppet..

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 11:47:16 AM »
By Justin, not by Nemesis, of course that might have been the same thing if Justin was Nemfected.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »
By Justin, not by Nemesis, of course that might have been the same thing if Justin was Nemfected.
he specifically mentions /for/ Nemesis.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 01:09:53 PM »
Upon my most recent re-read of the series, and Jim's release of a Morgan journal entry, I've come to notice something interesting. Both Morgan and Rashid suspect Harry of being Nemfected, and know he is Starborn. However, Eb claims this cannot happen Starborn. Do they simply not know all of the Starborn mojo powers? Or, is this supposed to be a hint (along with Eb's lack of self control, repeated warnings of treasury, and encouragement to do questionable magic things) that something is off?

I know we don't need yet another "Is Eb Nemfected?" thread. But... I hadn't seen this detail brought up before.
Molded to be a creature of Nemesis is not the same as Nemfected. 

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 02:03:49 PM »
If he'd been successfully recruited to work with Maeve in Cold Days, I'd say that would count.

Come to think of it, a lot of evil-doers have tried to recruit Harry. How many were Nemfected?

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 04:12:32 PM »
Yeah, Harry could have ended up working for Nemesis without being Nemfected himself, by working for someone who was Nemfected (such as Justin or Maeve).

Which doesn't necessarily mean that Harry is immune to Nemfection; that's his own guess based on what Eb says - Nemesis could be somewhat different from a "standard" Outsider.

As well as the 2000 year in the know Woj about Nicodemus compared to this 666 year cycle.

I don't think that's really contradictory. Nic is ~2000 years old, and so he's seen the cycles before and understands them. That doesn't mean the cycle length is 2000 years.

From here: https://wordof.jim-butcher.com/index.php/word-of-jim-woj-compilation/woj-on-vampires/
Lord Raith is "a couple thousand years old.  He’s got 2 thousand years of paranoia kinda built up" so roughly the same age as Nicodemus, and "There’s kind of a long game going on in the Dresden Files, and Lord Raith has been involved in it in the last couple of cycle’s it’s gone on."

So that seems to fit a 666 year length, since Lord Raith would have been around and already old and powerful for the last two events.

EDIT: fixed incomplete sentence

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 04:38:41 PM »
Harry would have made a good weapon for someone who wanted one that couldn't be controlled by Nemesis. That person could be merely a fellow traveler rather than Nemfected. If you knew of Nemfections but wanted to remain free then you would want tools that were trusted.  And your greatest fear would be that you would get caught and not know it. Cowl alludes to the in Dead Beat.
"Right," I said. "You're the correct madman for the job."

Cowl was silent for a long moment in the rain. Drops fell off the end of my pistol in his gloved hand. Then he said, his voice pensive, "I do not perceive myself to be mad. But if I were truly mad, would I be able to tell?"