Author Topic: Will Harry Have to Come Clean?  (Read 16859 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Will Harry Have to Come Clean?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2020, 12:26:00 PM »
Remember that all Harry has done is move Thomas from a prison cell *in which he was dying* to one in which he's held in stasis. If the politics are handled properly, the svartalves might owe a debt for that -- the transfer and rescue have spared them the dishonor of having Thomas die in their custody waiting for trial.

Regardless of where Thomas is, I expect the svartalves will want an emissary appointed and a hearing held to rule on the attack. That's the point at which it would be really helpful if Harry could present them with the actual culprit and evidence of what happened.

Meanwhile everyone has to brace for an attack that could wipe everything out..  Then even if successful, it is going to be very messy, so lots of clean up. There is bound to be casualties among the leadership of the Accord members, so me thinks Thomas is going to be in that cell for a book or two, if he gets out at all. 

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2020, 01:08:16 PM »
Possible. Unless the culprit is revealed during Battle Ground, Harry's not going to be in a hurry to resolve that plot before he has a way to heal Thomas.

Of course, I still think the obvious cure for Thomas is a female Forest Person. (See: the Bigfoot on Campus short story...)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2020, 01:33:54 PM »
I find it very strange that the Swartalves beat Thomas so badly, they made it impossible for an Emissary or anyone else to question him, and effectively dealt a death sentence before the Emissary could judge him. The Swartalves are stickers for the rules, and their conduct appears to abrogate them.

This pushes me towards the Evanna theory, she wanted Thomas to abuse guest right and suffer death by Etri. This would require her to be Nemfected and upset with Thomas e.g . Seeking Asylum for Justine with the Swartalves. The way to infect a Swartalf something of Beauty, perhaps the headband.

Convenient that the GateKeeper isn’t present,

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2020, 12:28:35 AM »
Jim was once asked something along the lines of if Harry could take the Ladies Mantle, and his reply was not usually but Harry is one for breaking rules... Makes me wonder if Carlos staying a virgin isn't going to be relative to a powerful somehow actually...
I do think virginity has mystical weight in a lot of fantasy type stories. We've seen it's important to wamps and the Ladies. It may come up in some other meaningful way in some story.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2020, 01:04:39 AM »
Carlos becoming the Summer Lady is the last thing he needs, but it would be hilarious.

I think there will be a grail quest and Carlos will be central to it his virginity a virtue rather than a source of endless fun.

The story is the Grendel story.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2020, 02:11:41 AM »
The story is the Grendel story.
Forgot that one. We've only seen virginity being a bad thing so far in the DF. If Jim actually considers it, I can't see him not working some mystical advantage into it. Jim seems big on balancing these kinds of things.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2020, 03:54:10 AM »
There is something that Harry could come clean about that has nothing to do with his own secrets.  He could out Ebenezer as the Blackstaff to the younger wardens.  The rest of the supernatural world seems to know about Eb's other job and see the White Council's hypocrisy about following the Laws of Magic for what it is, when they allow one of their own the privilege of breaking any of those laws when they see fit to do so. 

I don't know what might trigger Harry to do that, I just thought that Harry isn't the only wizard keeping secrets; plus, the corner hounds are a clue that Ebenezer has been doing some time travelling.  That might come up if Harry ever gets all the suspects in the same room in Battle Ground.       
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2020, 07:23:56 AM »
Harry hates the way the White Council is hypocritical, executing Warlocks, ignoring the needs of lesser practitioners and the use of the Blackstaff (Marcone has a near identical view). If he gains authority in the White Council Harry will seek to change this. He has championed the Paranet, and refused to execute Warlocks (and now has an alternative which opens the door for rehabilitation), but if offered the Blackstaff would only take it to return it. No more premeditated murders or other breaches of the Laws.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2020, 10:49:25 AM »
Harry hates the way the White Council is hypocritical, executing Warlocks, ignoring the needs of lesser practitioners and the use of the Blackstaff (Marcone has a near identical view). If he gains authority in the White Council Harry will seek to change this. He has championed the Paranet, and refused to execute Warlocks (and now has an alternative which opens the door for rehabilitation), but if offered the Blackstaff would only take it to return it. No more premeditated murders or other breaches of the Laws.
The problem is the stars are getting right for the outsider apocalypse. Harry will be more and more involved with the defense against the outsiders and by the time he gets any authority in the white council everything will be a chaotic emergency. Just mobilize everyone and start defending reality.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2020, 02:07:50 PM »
The problem is the stars are getting right for the outsider apocalypse. Harry will be more and more involved with the defense against the outsiders and by the time he gets any authority in the white council everything will be a chaotic emergency. Just mobilize everyone and start defending reality.

The only answer I can see is to build on the Accords, that might be why various factions are trying to sabotage them.  I think from here on out the White Council is going to be less relevant.  The war with the Reds and their own divisiveness has greatly reduced their say in the over all Accords.  Wizards are still important, but politically the White Council won't be able to throw their weight around like they once did. 

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2020, 02:25:01 PM »
The whole point is that squabbles between Accords members are going to be. Thing of the past, so this was Eb’s last chance for a go at the White Court in his lifetime.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2020, 03:45:43 PM »
The whole point is that squabbles between Accords members are going to be. Thing of the past, so this was Eb’s last chance for a go at the White Court in his lifetime.

But does he realize this? 

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2020, 04:26:52 PM »
idk about a thing of the past, but yea. He definitely thought he could pull one over on them and get them thrown out of the accords or something. Didn't realize how Dresden would take it though... Oh my but if he DID do it, and under Dresden's own hospitality... The next fight they have is gonna go much different.
*His admittance of guilt is one of the few things I can see actually saving Thomas from the svartalfs themselves though.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 04:28:50 PM by The_Sibelis »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2020, 04:44:50 PM »
  But does he realize this?
Intellectually yes, emotionally no.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2020, 04:19:35 AM »
The attacks on the Accords may not be about the Accords so much, but an attack on Mab. The more attention she has to spend holding the Accords together, the less she can spare to do her real job.

Also, Fae seem to gain power from importance, e.g. how Toot-toot grows, and they're all about oaths and bargains. So the Accords disintegrating might actually weaken Mab personally.

Not sure about all the Accords nations pulling together. The Red Court seemed perfectly OK with working with Outsiders, and they were on the Accords... Plus the Circle may have subverted some nations.