Author Topic: Mab's Voice in Peace Talks  (Read 1810 times)

Offline MarkHazard

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Mab's Voice in Peace Talks
« on: July 28, 2020, 04:17:04 PM »
In the audio book version of PT did anyone else note that Mab's voice is harsher than in previous books?  I had to go back initially because I thought it was Mother Winter talking in the first encounter in the Munstermobile.  Is this a new development or has the harshness been there in past books?  If it is a new development, I wonder if there is any significance? 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:30:10 AM by MarkHazard »

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Mab's Voice in Peace Talks
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 04:02:06 PM »
Bump because somehow I missed this one.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 07:27:09 PM »
I noticed it too, it almost has to mean something because the change is so significant. I wish the books where not do far apart so I would not always be on doubt about these things.

Offline knightedbishop

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 08:45:21 PM »
While it’s fun to notice those kinds of subtle details, I hope not. I get annoyed when there are clues present only in certain mediums. The book makes no reference to any change in Mab’s voice when she and Lara are in the Munstermobile. Harry describes her voice as “calm and precise.”

When Harry awoke at the end of Ghost Story on Demonreach, Mab was described as bordering on inhuman- sunken huge eyes, skin stretched over bones. I assume she was drained from exerting her power so constantly to keep Harry summertime, away from her seat of power. When she was furious in earlier books her voice was clearly a big deal. Here the only comment Harry makes at all is that her eyes were too big to be strictly human.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 12:16:48 AM »
Clearly that was Mab in her role of Japanese Anime Character.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 12:36:37 AM »
I've noticed that James Marsters; as good as he is, can sometimes be inconsistent in his readings of some characters.  For example, if you have all of the audio books, go and listen to the Gatekeeper's conversation with Harry in Summer Knight when the Council is about to throw Harry to the wolves, in Turn Coat when the Gatekeeper surprises Harry and company at the dock on Demonreach and in Cold Days when Harry shows up at the Outer Gates.  It sounds like three different characters.

It's also possible that Mr. Marsters keeps notes on various characters, and we last saw Mab in Skin Game, she appeared to be disturbed and perhaps angry that Harry threatened to throw down with Marcone if the crime boss didn't accept wereguild for the death of one of his employees, which would have destroyed Mab's reputation.  Plus, Mab had been annoyed by Harry's behavior early in Skin Game.  So, it's possible Marsters was going off his notes of the most recent past behavior of Mab and Harry and just interpreted her as being more short tempered and angry sounding because she's a bit fed up with her Knight.

I was just listening to an interview with Jim yesterday, and he was talking about how the readers of the Alera books and the first Cinder Spires book sometimes put an emphasis on certain words and phrases which gave a slightly different interpretation of the meanings he intended.  Not that it was necessarily wrong, it just emphasized different ways of looking at the characters involved.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 01:38:21 AM »
The voice is more akin in timbre to how he voiced Cat Sith then Mab in Cold Days. I think it comes down to lack of preparation due to time constraints and the pandemic.