Author Topic: [PT Spoilers] Why does Ferrovax care?  (Read 5321 times)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
[PT Spoilers] Why does Ferrovax care?
« on: August 01, 2020, 04:31:28 AM »
After Ethniu kicks Mab through the wall, LaChaise says the Accords are broken, and Vadderung and Ferrovax argue that they have to stop Ethniu because otherwise mortals will retaliate against all supernaturals.

But why do they care? OK, there's a WOJ that Odin likes hanging out in the mortal world even though it makes him more vulnerable, so him I can see. Plus he probably wants to keep collecting Einherjar.

But Ferrovax? Implicitly he's geologically old; he's not going to have a human sense of time. And per WOJ he's too powerful to really do much in the mortal world anyway, without messing things up.

Why doesn't he just pop into the Nevernever for 500 or 1,000 years? Probably by then no one would believe the stories about what happened in Chicago way back then... (I mean, in the DV at one time magic was widely believed in, but now it's not. So why wouldn't it be "forgotten" again in the same way?)

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
Re: [PT Spoilers] Why does Ferrovax care?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 05:49:18 AM »
Perhaps Ferrovax has some sort of Duty not in the NN?  Power in the DV comes with restrictions and responsibilities, typically. 

As another guess, if the Fomor get their way, one side or the other may annihilate each other entirely so there's nothing to come back to in a few centuries.

As a third guess, Ferrovax might prefer the Accords to be in place.  If you're not interested in making enemies, they're pretty good at protecting you.  Ferro is part of the Accords and he honors his word, so sitting this fight out isn't an option.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 05:51:25 AM »
Because a thousand years later he won't be remembered and he'll just drift into nothingness?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 06:34:51 AM »
Because he does not want the outsiders to break through the outer gates and the apocalypse to break down this reality. He knows what is at stake.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 08:35:54 AM »
Because he is keeping an eye on Odin, they counter balance each other if he is indeed the Midgard Serpent.

Beowulf slew the Dragon and died from his wounds, St Nicholas charmed a dragon menacing a village and got it to stop. Stories of stalemate. Working together is a whole new surprise for them, but they are crusty old entities of their word and both had given it to Mab.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 08:42:49 AM »
That charmed a dragon story also has connotations to Odin and Fenrir and being consumed by the creature you slay... It's where I got the idea St Patrick cursed his own bloodline to contain the loop garu, when it had been in a more free to kill form before that.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 08:54:03 AM »
You kind of get the idea they have been at this a long, long time.

Odin was also probably St George, Sigurd etc here is a list of possible alias

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonslayer

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 09:07:16 AM »
And... I think you just made me realize why the Valkyrie chick equates River Shoulders to grindelkin... Dragons were responsible for landscaping basically, Strength of River in his Shoulders is the same thing on a smaller scale, someone who has the power of the land itself..(or to carve the land, as a river literally does) Perhaps it's literally a blood heritage. Dragon bornish type thing
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:20:39 AM by The_Sibelis »

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 09:59:22 AM »
Because a thousand years later he won't be remembered and he'll just drift into nothingness?

Maybe. It could be an Oblivion thing.

Perhaps Ferrovax has some sort of Duty not in the NN?

Maybe, but I thought the Dragons (like most gods) were basically 'retired'. Even Odin describes himself as "mostly retired" and he seems far more active than most.

As another guess, if the Fomor get their way, one side or the other may annihilate each other entirely so there's nothing to come back to in a few centuries.

I don't see how. Too many of the supernatural beings are dependent on humans in one way or another, so they wouldn't wipe out humanity. And mortals couldn't definitively 'win', as too many  beings are either Immortal or can retreat to the Nevernever.

As a third guess, Ferrovax might prefer the Accords to be in place.

Apparently he does. I'm just not really sure why. It seems kind of weird to me... I mean, they're specifically Mab's Accords, which means they must be a new innovation on Ferrovax's timescale (Mab is relatively young as immortals go - she's younger than Nicodemus).

I'd kind of expect an ancient force of nature to resent some new set of rules that constrain him to deal as basically an equal with wizards and vampires and ghouls and other beings that are comparative gnats... I mean he seems pretty disdainful of humanity in GP.

Because he is keeping an eye on Odin, they counter balance each other if he is indeed the Midgard Serpent.

Not really, the Midgard Serpent is Thor's fated foe, not Odin's. (Odin's is Fenrir.)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 10:27:36 AM »
He’s keeping Thor away from a Ferro  which is why the stalemate, when those two go at it then all Ragnarok breaks loose, and Odin himself will fall, by preventing those two battling Odin staves off Ragnarok, even if it means taking on Ferro himself.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 11:09:38 AM »
One-Eye and Ferrovax, the Senior Council, River Shoulders, Etri, and a few others suddenly went as pale as I felt

Those are the ones who know. They know what Mab’s purpose is and why. The real purpose of the accords is to strengthen the defense against the outside.

That is why Ferrofax cares.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 11:46:56 AM »
They are the ones who knew what they were facing.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 03:20:17 PM »
Because he's old and old people don't like change.

He's content with the way things are, and doesn't need things getting hectic.  Because despite the fact that he's old and powerful, he *is* capable of dying.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 08:31:43 PM »
Because he does not want the outsiders to break through the outer gates and the apocalypse to break down this reality. He knows what is at stake.

He also received a gift from Bianca, handed out by Cowl and Kumori. Maybe he's not infected, but relying on his interest in stopping the outsiders might be a mistake.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 09:18:36 PM »
If I were Cowl, the gift would affect Ferro’s Hoard. Get a Dragon by the Hoard, and you have their undivided attention.