Author Topic: Ethniu in Dead Beat? (Peace Talks Spoilers)  (Read 1709 times)

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Ethniu in Dead Beat? (Peace Talks Spoilers)
« on: July 31, 2020, 01:47:14 PM »
Did Ethniu knock the power out in Chicago way back in Dead Beat?

We've suspected that Cowl is working with/for the fomor for a long time.

And in Dead Beat, Harry says he assumes Cowl did it -- but "If you'd have asked me yesterday, I wouldn't have thought this was possible. I don't know how he did it, but... his magic is stronger than mine. And from what I saw of his technique, he's a hell of a lot more skilled, too."

Perhaps... Cowl isn't quite as omnipotent as he appears. Like Harry, he cheats and gets huge effects by leveraging friends and favors.

Further support: When Harry's talking to Mab, by the lake, we get this:
Quote from: Dead Beat
Thunder rumbled over the lake. Off in the southwest, lightning leapt from cloud to cloud.
Mab turned her head to watch. "Interesting."
"Uh. What's interesting?"
"Powers at work, preparing the way."

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Ethniu in Dead Beat? (Peace Talks Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »

I don't think Ethniu per say, but softening up the area for her certainly.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 04:58:38 PM »
The Red Court we’re still alive in Dead Beat and were the Black Council’s favoured proxies, not the Fomor.

Saying that Cowl probably suggested it as an effective tactic, he probably used a stored magical energy device to undertake the same effect, he had the advantage of a set date to prepare something like a super hex.

However Harry is familiar with the tactic, which makes it less effective against him.

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 11:14:37 PM »
Would be pretty easy if you used LC for it though? Perhaps cowl utilized a similar thaumaturgy. He seems more than just strong, but smart too.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 10:11:13 AM »
I doubt it was actually her in DB, but there's definitely a strong parallel.

People have been pointing out for years that there are similarities in the description of Cowl's Nevernever gates and the way Fomor magic is described. Cowl might have some kind of equivalent of Hellfire or the Winter Mantle that lets him draw on Fomor power?

In "Even Hand", Gard says the Fomor are especially good at messing up tech, even better than Harry. (Which is kind of interesting because the tech-hex is otherwise a mortal magic thing. Other fae and so on don't really do that.)