Author Topic: A few recent WOJs - !!SPOILERS!!  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Direwolf513

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A few recent WOJs - !!SPOILERS!!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 07:55:14 PM »
Bad Alias - Seems unlikely as in Turn Coat Harry says they have only been there for under 500 years. Merlin founded the Council before the Church. They have had headquarters in Madrid, Constantinople and even the Vatican in the early days. I know it says that he won it in Changes but it really doesn't add up - at all. I think Harry was wrong myself. Or Jim just forgot.

Merlin was a time-traveler. Who knows what he got up to bouncing around?

Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun. -Ash

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 08:06:35 PM »
Merlin was a time-traveler. Who knows what he got up to bouncing around?

Also, the Gatekeeper was active in the 8th century. Presumably he used Nevernever time-dilation to still be alive today.

So Merlin could have been a young wizard like Harry around 500 AD (the time usually ascribed to Arthur by those who think he was a historical figure) and still be active around 1500.

I don't think Merlin actually founded the Council before the Church, I think he "re-founded" it after the fall of the Roman Empire and wrote the Laws of Magic, turning an earlier classical organization of wizards into the modern White Council. Arthur and Merlin are associated with the time immediately after the fall of the (Western) Roman Empire.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 09:25:51 PM »
So, internet informs me that Sarissa is a spear, while Maeve is something intoxicating, I guess a poison. I wonder if Mab is angry that one of her weapons belongs to Titania now. But at least she got a pearl now  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 10:02:11 PM »
So, internet informs me that Sarissa is a spear, while Maeve is something intoxicating, I guess a poison.

That WOJ is especially interesting because I always took Maeve to be a reference to Maeve from Irish mythology.

Before CD I thought Maeve the Winter Lady actually was Maeve of Connacht. But then we learned she's not nearly old enough, so I figured Mab was Maeve of Connacht once and gave her daughter a form of her old mortal name (some people claim that the name Mab is derived from Medb, another form of Maeve).

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 10:05:28 PM »
Yes, I knew a girl called Maeve (a very unusual name here) and she told me her name was a variation of Mab. Your theory had a lot of sense.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 11:07:08 PM »
Yeah it seemed so plausible...

But now it looks like even Mab isn't old enough. It seems implied in PT that she was a mortal/changeling at the time of the Battle of Hastings, a bit under 1000 years ago. I thought she'd been Winter Queen almost that long... so maybe she was Lady for only a very brief time.

Hmmm, I wonder if Molly will end up Winter Queen? I don't really expect Mab to survive the series.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2020, 01:46:17 AM »
The reference to Mab loving Merlin suggest that she was at one point Nimue, the Lady of the Lake, most likely when Mab herself was the Winter Lady. WOJ has it that of the six Queens only one of the mothers is an original. Mab and Titania were both ladies.