Author Topic: A few recent WOJs - !!SPOILERS!!  (Read 4260 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
A few recent WOJs - !!SPOILERS!!
« on: July 28, 2020, 07:14:58 AM »
1. Look for Drakul in the next book.

2. Harry buys a basketball hoop for the great hall with some of his diamond money (so, a few hundred bucks. What does he do with the rest of the cash?) What great hall? The one in the castle for sure. Which implies...
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

3. The Fomor do not merely contain the Frog men and the rulers like Ethniu and Balor (although I suspect Balor is out or dead). They also contain (as stated in the books, but restated in a recent q&a) all the defeated monsters and gods etc. So I suspect we will see a MASSIVE bunch of creatures and beings from various mythologies and legends. But I doubt we will see anything on Ethniu's level...perhaps some demigods but probably not many. Giants for sure. That footprint on the beach wasn't Ethniu's I am sure (I worked out a bit of the math and that footprint would at least apply to a being about 16 feet tall and Ethniu is only 9 or 10 feet, as she is head and shoulders taller than Corb who is 8 feet).

4. The Tuatha are officially a part of the Sidhe. It seems like the Faeries incorporated the Tuatha or combined with them to form a nation. The mantles are currently held by the Queens and Rulers of the Fae. They range from powerful beings to demigods and full-blown gods. Mab is in the demi-god level (stated more than a few times in the series).

5. So basically we have known for a while that the Gods etc haven't been all that active. Some asleep, some imprisoned, some banished and some are dead. They basically haven't been doing their job (implied to be guiding and protecting humanity). It seems that the Fae are one aspect of what replaced them...but not necessarily the only one. Many of the gods (like Vadderung) gave up some of their power to go do other things. This also all ties into the next WOJ.

6. MAJOR SPOILER
(click to show/hide)

7. He gives confirmation (of a sort) that the Dresdenverse reality is much like the Chronicles of Amber i.e. a spectrum from absolute chaos to absolute order. This is when he is asked if Harry could get to Alera. Interestingly, he has stated this before (both from Bob but also in a separate interview) but never confirmed about the spectrum from absolute chaos to absolute order. As has previously been guessed at but not confirmed before, the Outsiders appear to come from the chaos end. I say this because Harry states that beyond the Outer Gates is elemental chaos, which he hasn't said before.

8. A fan crack theory was good enough to influence Jim. At first he rejected it but then he went "I could work with that".

9. The line of succession if Mab dies isn't as clear as you might think. But it would be a bad thing.

10. Maeve and Sarissa were named thus for a reason. Mab wanted her children to be weapons. Draw your own conclusions.

11. Cowl...he refused to answer knowing that no matter what he said or didn't say it gives away something. He seems to imply (at least to me) that Cowl will return soon.

12. Ghosts are not souls. He completely separates them. He says ghosts are energy beings in the shape of humans with human memories, not that they are human souls. This has been the subject of some debate in the past but he couldn't be more clear.

13. Ectomancy and Necromancy are not the same. Ectomancy is communicating with ghosts and seeking knowledge, and binding them occasionally. Necromancy plays with life force. Yes, you can simulate some effects either way but Jim says Necromancy is very different.

Anyone heard anything else or picked up anything that I missed in the interviews?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A few recent WOJs - !!SPOILERS!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:27:19 AM »
So for the gods creation was like the 1960’s man, and they dropped waaaay too much Ambrosia.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 10:23:39 AM »
As good as story as any I am sure. But it sounds like a good party.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 10:41:13 AM »
3. The Fomor do not merely contain the Frog men and the rulers like Ethniu and Balor (although I suspect Balor is out or dead). They also contain (as stated in the books, but restated in a recent q&a) all the defeated monsters and gods etc. So I suspect we will see a MASSIVE bunch of creatures and beings from various mythologies and legends. But I doubt we will see anything on Ethniu's level...perhaps some demigods but probably not many. Giants for sure. That footprint on the beach wasn't Ethniu's I am sure (I worked out a bit of the math and that footprint would at least apply to a being about 16 feet tall and Ethniu is only 9 or 10 feet, as she is head and shoulders taller than Corb who is 8 feet).
And that ties into the old WoJ about how we're going to see the Einherjar get hype about killing giants (yes! something that actually matters! was the wording IIRC) in Peace Talks.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:35:39 AM »
Yes,  sparring with Murphy just doesn’t do it for the  Einherjar like going for giants and Grendelkin does.

It hurts their knees.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 02:33:08 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 02:09:07 PM »
To number eight, it's long been my reasoning that if you theorize something it's not the same as trying to give Jim story ideas, because in the telling your implying he already had the idea and your just looking at what's already there, freeing him up to use it if he wishes... Very glad to see he's actually utilized this fact lol
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:17:06 AM by The_Sibelis »

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 09:03:55 PM »
What was the fan theory referenced in #8?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 09:11:23 PM »
What was the fan theory referenced in #8?
idk that we'll ever find that out for sure,

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 09:40:26 PM »
Is there some place with links to all the interviews with Jim?

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 09:41:35 PM »
Several dozen people will claim its them, Jim. Will never tell.

There are links on the Jim Butcher website, but You Tube vomited them up for me.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 12:29:14 AM »
The ones I watched are the 20 years of Dresden interview with Priscilla and the Poisoned Pen q&a book tour...both of which have links that can be found in the news section.

But here are the direct links for expediency: (Poisoned Pen) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtR_OWYqUDs AND (20 years of Dresden) https://www.tor.com/2020/07/24/jim-butcher-talks-20-years-of-harry-dresden/

The Sibelis - I am not sure I totally understand your comment. Are you saying that because our various WAGs assume that Jim has already planned something, it's fine if he didn't actually plan it and ends up using it because we'll never know the difference? Because if so I agree. I mean what's it to Jim if someone has a better idea than him that he can still use. Ends up being a better story for us. If I knew he actively did it I wouldn't mind because in some small way we are contributing to the world of Dresden. Obviously some people would get salty and be all "where's my money?" but honestly those people should grow up.

Spiritofair - He hasn't told us, and probably never will. I wouldn't put it past him to even say this without actually having done it just to mess with us. In saying that, Jim's not so arrogant to not recognize better ideas when he hears them. I might start a separate thread about who thinks what.

And yes - I am very excited to see some Einherjahren take on giants...what they train for!

Also did anyone feel that Freydis was associating Jotuns and Grendelkin or is that just me?

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 01:04:19 AM »
@yuillegan, yes exactly that. The moment someone says 'i theorize' it's not a story idea anymore, it's saying you already believe the author had such an idea and as such you cannot claim it as your own original idea anymore. It's a very rules lawyer bypass. I've personally made some theories over the years hoping he might pick at them somewhat.
*Oof, just looked at my comment and saw its atrocious Grammer, no wonder you didn't understand... Sorry, little buttons and fat fingers are a bad combo,
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:16:08 AM by The_Sibelis »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 02:35:07 AM »
2. Harry buys a basketball hoop for the great hall with some of his diamond money (so, a few hundred bucks. What does he do with the rest of the cash?) What great hall? The one in the castle for sure. Which implies...
[skip first spoiler]
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 02:56:56 AM »
Bad Alias - Seems unlikely as in Turn Coat Harry says they have only been there for under 500 years. Merlin founded the Council before the Church. They have had headquarters in Madrid, Constantinople and even the Vatican in the early days. I know it says that he won it in Changes but it really doesn't add up - at all. I think Harry was wrong myself. Or Jim just forgot.

Sibelis - Yeah I feel that, typing on phone screens is no fun.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 01:05:04 PM »
Huh. I always assumed that Merlin won the Edinburgh halls a long, long time ago, but that it wasn't the White Council's headquarters until much later, when they decided they wanted a bit of distance from the Catholic Church.

Sort of like if the sneak attack in Summer Knight had hit Edinburgh, and the White Council moved their headquarters to the secure facility in Archangel.