Author Topic: The British Prisoner  (Read 6500 times)

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The British Prisoner
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 10:15:46 PM »
My hope would be Mordred.

Arthur's heir. Born of a sin he's not responsible for, but by right of birth and debatably conquest, Pendragon.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 12:21:54 AM »
My hope would be Mordred.

Arthur's heir. Born of a sin he's not responsible for, but by right of birth and debatably conquest, Pendragon.
Here here!  I could see Butcher doing a decent Mordred storyline as a tragic hero that's misunderstood but forced by fate and destiny to play a role he does not wish for.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 01:41:11 AM »
My problem with the theory that Jim's going to bring a hero of legend in from the bench like that is that he hasn't really set it up. He's laid the ground work for Odin to be involved. I just don't see it for Merlin or Arthur. It's kind of the opposite of making sure the mentor character can't be around for all the big challenges.

I can see a villain coming in out of the blue much more easily.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 01:53:40 AM »
I don't think the British Prisoner, even if he is Arthur, is going to be coming out of the cell any time soon. He's waiting for a different apocalyptic prophecy. But that doesn't mean he can't be a mentor to Thomas while he's in lockup, assuming Thomas recovers enough to have conversations.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 03:29:54 AM »
Presumably, Arthur would have a bit of a language barrier, but then we have the whole 'Piss Off' comment, like a guy trying out a slang term he's unfamiliar with. With Merlin apparently running through time all over the place, picking up a language and filling in Arthur on it doesn't seem too convoluted.

Isn't it basically telepathic communication anyway? If it's Arthur, he might just come across to Harry as sounding British because Arthur is an archetypically British figure. Doesn't necessarily mean he actually speaks English with a modern British accent.

If it *is* Arthur, would that mean Demonreach is Avalon?

Offline Mercutio

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 03:55:42 AM »
Isn't it basically telepathic communication anyway? If it's Arthur, he might just come across to Harry as sounding British because Arthur is an archetypically British figure. Doesn't necessarily mean he actually speaks English with a modern British accent.

If it *is* Arthur, would that mean Demonreach is Avalon?

More like Avalon's evil twin... Nolava!  ;D

Edit:  Or somewhat less incredibly goofy, Winter's counterpart to Summers Avalon. ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 03:58:00 AM by Mercutio »
"Damn I meant to roll a Monk."

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 05:52:55 AM »
Nolava made me laugh.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mercutio

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 03:33:55 PM »
Good to see you Dina. ;)
"Damn I meant to roll a Monk."

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 04:15:21 PM »
Eb’s journals run all the way back to Merlin, Master to Apprentice, if a Eb is taken down, Harry would get them and start adding to them.

That kind of depends whether he has time to update his will between PT and his eventual death. As things stand now, I can't see him trusting Harry with that.

Re: thinking it’s Merlin, there’s a Word of Jim that it’s confirmed not to be Merlin. Hence me thinking about Arthur. I’ll see if I can find it.

There is, but a direct question "is the prisoner Merlin" is something he'd almost have to lie about to preserve the surprise. "I'm not gonna tell you" instead of "no" to a specific question like that still gives it away.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 04:23:57 PM »
Jim is not Fae, despite the blue hair.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 06:10:19 PM »
I don't think the British Prisoner, even if he is Arthur, is going to be coming out of the cell any time soon. He's waiting for a different apocalyptic prophecy. But that doesn't mean he can't be a mentor to Thomas while he's in lockup, assuming Thomas recovers enough to have conversations.
That works for me. I just don't see Jim bringing in someone from legend on Harry's side without a lot of setup limiting how they can and cannot help him.

That kind of depends whether he has time to update his will between PT and his eventual death. As things stand now, I can't see him trusting Harry with that.
In my experience, he will not have time to update his will. Updating wills is most often something people talk about doing more than they do.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 06:34:13 PM »
Given Alfred's reaction to fresh blood the prisoner has been there some time, which kinda puts the faux English accent to the test.

Offline Greywolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2020, 01:51:29 AM »
There is, but a direct question "is the prisoner Merlin" is something he'd almost have to lie about to preserve the surprise. "I'm not gonna tell you" instead of "no" to a specific question like that still gives it away.

From my recall of it, someone asked Jim if Merlin would have had a British accent, and Jim chuckled and said (something to the effect of), “His accent would be so archaic that it would sound more like gobbledygook than British. And no, the prisoner on Demonreach isn’t Merlin.” Like he was specific about Merlin, but the question wasn’t that direct - makes me think it’s not a misdirect.

Do we think the prisoner will communicate at all during Battle Ground? I’m thinking probably not, considering that Harry has already left the island to go back to Chicago for the battle, and by the time he hopefully draws Ethniu all the way out there, he won’t exactly have time to head downstairs and chat up the guy for tips on how to fight a goddess.
"I'll need some pants."

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 10:26:26 AM »
Perhaps it is a much younger Arthur Langtrey (say 200 years younger) and the Person we have been assuming is The Merlin, isn’t. It’s Cowl. Cowl was the former Warden, somehow corrupted by tapping into the power of Demonreach (Harry has been warned), and eventually divorced from Alfred because of it.

He deserves to be there because he was tricked into it, and may not realise Harry is a different Warden. Through in a Body swap and entirely possible, Cowl is keeping his original younger body as a backup.

It would be very Jim to say he isn’t The Merlin, when in fact it is a Merlin.

Of course Turncoat needs explaining under this scenario.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 11:47:04 AM »

Does anyone else find it odd that when we have Outsider dialogue it usually done with a British accent?