Author Topic: What is Lara's problem? [PT Spoilers!]  (Read 19007 times)

Offline EBRIEN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: What is Lara's problem? [PT Spoilers!]
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2020, 12:14:51 AM »
Maybe just an author's excuse to show what Harry can do in a somewhat purposeful way as the Warden. Regardless of Lara's fatigue at helping Thomas, this still seems out of character.

Also...Thomas as scapegoat for killing Austri? Cat's Paw? The more comments I read, the more I think this whole book is out of character. Maybe JB's been nemfected. Maybe I'm just cranky at having to wait until September.

Offline Bacail

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 07:47:16 AM »
Maybe I'm just cranky at having to wait until September.

I think a lot of people are.  I see some complaints syaing they don't feel like Peace Talks is a complete book.  Well, they are right, it isn't.  Having another book releasing 2.5 months later is the part 2.  Hell, when Tolkein wanted to publish LOTR as one book, even his publisher said hell no because it would have been MUH-assive.  It was the right call.  It's not a long wait.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 07:48:47 AM »

We saw in WN just how badly suited the White Court is to direct conflict with powerful supernatural beings. Harry and Carlos are blasting uberghouls left and right, and the White Court are pretty helpless against them.

I am the only one remembering a ring of dark goddesses stading around papa Raith killing any of the super powered ghouls that came close? Of course they would not have lasted forever, but helpless was definitely not the term I thought of.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 10:33:33 AM »
I think a lot of people are.  I see some complaints syaing they don't feel like Peace Talks is a complete book.  Well, they are right, it isn't.  Having another book releasing 2.5 months later is the part 2.  Hell, when Tolkein wanted to publish LOTR as one book, even his publisher said hell no because it would have been MUH-assive.  It was the right call.  It's not a long wait.

LOTR was a masterpiece,  Peace Talks not so much,  yes, LOTR was split into three books but each book felt complete, Peace Talks not so much..   

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2020, 10:37:12 AM »
I am the only one remembering a ring of dark goddesses stading around papa Raith killing any of the super powered ghouls that came close? Of course they would not have lasted forever, but helpless was definitely not the term I thought of.
Lara was out of juice.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2020, 02:28:58 PM »
I see nothing weird. Lara was out of juice, desperate for Thomas and he believed Harry killed him or hurt him (that is true, actually). And I don't think she knew about Harry power over the island.
Still, I am sad for this because I did not want Lara to be so sore at Harry. I liked them most as frenemies.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2020, 03:14:06 PM »
I see nothing weird. Lara was out of juice, desperate for Thomas and he believed Harry killed him or hurt him (that is true, actually). And I don't think she knew about Harry power over the island.
Still, I am sad for this because I did not want Lara to be so sore at Harry. I liked them most as frenemies.

I still think she is more frustrated than anything, she isn't used to be as easily handled as she was on the island.  Also none of this is in her control.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2020, 03:54:40 PM »
Yes, but that is after she is trapped. I was explaining why I see nothing weird in her behavior before that, just when charging in rage. After that, when she is defeated, you are right. She is frustrated and wants a retaliation.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2020, 04:28:22 PM »
And I don't think she knew about Harry power over the island.
Me too. She knew something was up, but probably had no idea the extent of it. Last time she was there, Harry almost died several times. We know Harry has spent a lot of time there and is much more powerful now, but we didn't know the extent of it. How would Lara?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2020, 06:13:27 PM »
Me too. She knew something was up, but probably had no idea the extent of it. Last time she was there, Harry almost died several times. We know Harry has spent a lot of time there and is much more powerful now, but we didn't know the extent of it. How would Lara?

Last time she was on the island Harry wasn't officially Warden.  He had made friends with Alfred, knew he was aware of what was going on on the island, but beyond that he had no real clue until Cold Days.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2020, 09:12:25 PM »
Harry, who is almost always very straight with everyone he deals with, saved Thomas in a manner that gave him serious leverage over Lara. Sure he's outplayed her before, but it's always worked out to benefit her a great deal. This time it didn't. This time it was pretty one-sided in Harry's favor. And that was when he was working for her paying back very valuable favors. I'm pretty sure that would have been enough to have her off balance. With everything else mentioned by others, she was bound to let her emotions get the better of her.

It's almost like fairy favors are worse than when you're not being helped at all.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2020, 10:27:58 PM »
I don't see why Lara would have been out of juice.  Sure, she was feeding Thomas for an hour, but she's the new equivalent of Lord Raith, who went twenty some years unable to top the tank off but could still use power when needed.  Lara just had an orgy the night before and a snack at the Talks.  She knows she's going to be in a fight later that night (assuming she heard about the Ethniu thing from Harry five minutes after he woke up on the boat.

So her giving all her power to Thomas seems off. Thomas being weak because he hasn't been feeding works.  Lara being weak doesn't.

Offline TrueMonk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2020, 12:24:02 AM »
You might not want it to be the case, but

"It took her a moment to speak. Her voice came out furry and delicious. “I’m giving him the energy I took earlier. It’s . . . slowing down the damage his Hunger is inflicting. But it’s very bad. And I’m almost . . .” She licked her lips. The sight of it made me want to rip off my shirt and start boasting of my many manly deeds. “. . . empty.” She made the word sound like a sin. “I’ll need to feed if I’m to give him more.” "
Peace Talks page 319.

At least she's says herself that she is almost empty and I don't think she is lying.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 03:32:41 AM »
You might not want it to be the case, but

"It took her a moment to speak. Her voice came out furry and delicious. “I’m giving him the energy I took earlier. It’s . . . slowing down the damage his Hunger is inflicting. But it’s very bad. And I’m almost . . .” She licked her lips. The sight of it made me want to rip off my shirt and start boasting of my many manly deeds. “. . . empty.” She made the word sound like a sin. “I’ll need to feed if I’m to give him more.” "
Peace Talks page 319.

At least she's says herself that she is almost empty and I don't think she is lying.
Sure sure, I'm not doubting that she said it, or even that she's being honest.

But she shouldn't be, right?  I mean, we have reason to believe that she's being around for a couple centuries.  She's the head of the Wamps, and after years leading them, and feeding whenever and however she wants, she should be closer to Lord Raith's power levels than Thomas's.

But she's tapped after an hour of feeding Thomas after numerous meals within the day?  She's been using her hunger to beat down Lord Raith's demon, to the point that he's apparently a puppy.  And she's presumably been feeding him enough to keep him alive for the sake of the charade.

So to me she's either lying and is actually as powerful as she should be, or she's not and she's inexplicably weak.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2020, 03:42:01 AM »
It depends what we are saying with "out of juice". Particularly I did not mean "she is starving" but "she has the munchies. She wants food right now".
Missing you, Md