Author Topic: why little or no ivy  (Read 7897 times)

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
why little or no ivy
« on: July 18, 2020, 08:47:54 PM »
Jim butcher seems to have purposely removed the archive from the story line . only an acknowledgment that  she was at peace talks no interaction with Dresden...seems to me that the one character that could shed a lot of light to what is happening in peace talks is on the sideline story wise.  I am guessing that battleground will feature her prominently in the story line.... I cant wait to see how she is used in battle ground or if she is even used if she is not used I hope that we get an explanation in later books.  if she is in Battleground  I hope that Jim butcher does some fan service and has her meeting Maggie and Bonnie
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: why little or no ivy
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 08:58:52 PM »
If theories are true and ivy stopped working with Kincaid because he killed Harry, then there might be a lot of baggage to unpack in that relationship.  That'd be a lot to broach in the middle of everything else.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 10:33:56 PM »

Yes, it was a disappointment..  Someone else close to Harry suddenly ignoring him..

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 10:37:06 PM »
Yeah it was dissapointing, ah well hopefullly more next book. As the Archive she might have a vested interest in taking down 'The Last Titan'.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 11:53:37 PM »
Jim butcher seems to have purposely removed the archive from the story line . only an acknowledgment that  she was at peace talks no interaction with Dresden...seems to me that the one character that could shed a lot of light to what is happening in peace talks is on the sideline story wise.  I am guessing that battleground will feature her prominently in the story line.... I cant wait to see how she is used in battle ground or if she is even used if she is not used I hope that we get an explanation in later books.  if she is in Battleground  I hope that Jim butcher does some fan service and has her meeting Maggie and Bonnie
Peace Talks as presented would have been big, and bringing all the characters out to play in a book this short left him no choice but to severely limit the characters that have dialog.  Hopefully we get this put right in Battle Ground.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 03:01:14 AM »
Peace Talks as presented would have been big, and bringing all the characters out to play in a book this short left him no choice but to severely limit the characters that have dialog.  Hopefully we get this put right in Battle Ground.

Or maybe better choices could have been made?  Maybe like in cooking one finds that sometimes
too many ingredients spoil can spoil the dish.  Some ingredients over shadow the ones you wanted to enhance and others add nothing at all, instead of delighting the tongue, one is confused and disappointed.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 01:58:12 AM »
If theories are true and ivy stopped working with Kincaid because he killed Harry, then there might be a lot of baggage to unpack in that relationship.  That'd be a lot to broach in the middle of everything else.
Not a rumor anymore.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 03:09:31 AM »
Not a rumor anymore.
Yeah, see?  Way too much baggage to drop suddenly as an aside.  The only thing that would work would be her being angry with Harry and him not finding out why.

Offline Melriken

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 03:31:39 AM »
I was upset with Harry for not going over to Ivy when he saw her... I expected him to go back. Very disappointing...  there better be more in battlegrounds and I would have been happier if Ivy had waved off Dresden... ‘not here’ kind of a message... then at least we would know that more will come in battlegrounds and Harry would be confused... and who doesn’t like to see Harry suffer?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 02:03:53 PM »
Ivy snubs Dresden, an Emissary was to be appointed from a neutral source in relation to Thomas case, she is on the list of Emissaries in a previous case. The Swartalves  and the White Court would likely have approached her for that role in this. No mystery, just a book cut in half with her role as Emmissary in Battlefield. I suspect Ivy is one of the few powers who does not formally collect favours, ruling them out as neutral.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 05:05:10 PM »
I would imagine that Ivy is as pissed at Harry for planning to kill himself as she was with Kincaid for agreeing to help.  Harry is going to have to mend fences before he can convince Ivy to help him again.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 10:02:12 PM »
I can see Ivy playing a short role in Battle Ground.  Probably in any negotiations between Lara and Etri after the main threat is dealt with and maybe not even then.  There would be good reason for the Archive to simply leave Chicago before the battle starts, because of its (not Ivy's) importance.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 10:09:08 PM »
I could see Ivy being instrumental in defending the base of the allied accords group.  She'll probably sit on the roof and help defend and coordinate.  Everyone else has angles and agendas, but she's neutral, and will be important in establishing trust amongst reluctant allies.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 10:18:31 PM »

I don't even think it was that, I think Jim put her in there because she should be at the meeting, but because of all the other hodge podge he no room for a decent dialogue between her and Harry.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 10:34:33 PM »

I don't even think it was that, I think Jim put her in there because she should be at the meeting, but because of all the other hodge podge he no room for a decent dialogue between her and Harry.

I agree, it was far more important that we establish that Butter's is a Super Badass Harem Protagonist™ then have any scenes where Harry actually interacts with the various characters at the Peace Talks, that was central to the Narrative and could in no way be cut.