Author Topic: Thoughts on Peace Talks (spoiler heavy)  (Read 4283 times)

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Peace Talks (spoiler heavy)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2020, 10:27:22 PM »
I missed that one. I only knew he never really used it after Changes
It's a shame, really.  He spent over a year on the island with no resources other than the stuff brought to him, and he couldn't test with the ruby because he was afraid of what was on the other side. I mean sure, he couldn't go anywhere because of the "parasite" situation, but still. In over a year he didn't toy with seeing what was on the other side of the Dock?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 10:37:50 PM »
It's a shame, really.  He spent over a year on the island with no resources other than the stuff brought to him, and he couldn't test with the ruby because he was afraid of what was on the other side. I mean sure, he couldn't go anywhere because of the "parasite" situation, but still. In over a year he didn't toy with seeing what was on the other side of the Dock?
A certain reluctance to experiment withe the ways on the island is understandable. I do not expect those to connect to the nicer places in the nevernever.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 11:24:54 PM »
I assume that Butcher is trying to show the change in Butters over time, but he’s not acting like a Knight of the Cross – he’s acting like a Knight of the Sidhe.

Consensual non-monogamy seems perfectly in line with a Knight of the Cross to me.

The Knights of the Cross work for God, and God is love.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:26:30 PM by Paviel »

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2020, 11:47:44 PM »
A certain reluctance to experiment withe the ways on the island is understandable. I do not expect those to connect to the nicer places in the nevernever.
On the island, sure.  But we saw Rashid arrive on the Dock that Harry and Thomas built. That probably wouldn't be an ideal point, but it should be serviceable.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2020, 12:01:10 AM »
On the island, sure.  But we saw Rashid arrive on the Dock that Harry and Thomas built. That probably wouldn't be an ideal point, but it should be serviceable.

I seem to remember it being mentioned that the Ways that led to the island were very nasty and dangerous.  Apparently only Rashid and later Peabody cared to use them, the rest of the Senior Council arrived by boat in Turn Coat.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2020, 12:13:24 AM »
  I seem to remember it being mentioned that the Ways that led to the island were very nasty and dangerous.  Apparently only Rashid and later Peabody cared to use them, the rest of the Senior Council arrived by boat in Turn Coat.
They did. But again, the dock is different. It was made from wood brought to the island, and made by brothers in an effort to make their continued interactions possible.  And per Rashid, he didn't come out on the island because he can't set foot on the island, because of the grudge.  So there's a Way there that might not be as bad.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2020, 05:28:55 AM »
They did. But again, the dock is different. It was made from wood brought to the island, and made by brothers in an effort to make their continued interactions possible.  And per Rashid, he didn't come out on the island because he can't set foot on the island, because of the grudge.  So there's a Way there that might not be as bad.

If there is, Rashid would know of it... However let's not forget that Rashid is a real bad ass, so he most likely could handle anything on his travels.

Offline legendarycreamer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2020, 04:55:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure that as Jim was writing the book it might have got away from him in length and he felt that he couldn't shorten it in a way he would be satisfied with, so he decided to write 2 books. The problem is that when he split it he might have rushed it which is why it felt underwhelming. I dunno I may be wrong though but it's my initial thoughts.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 04:58:40 PM by legendarycreamer »

Offline Direwolf513

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »
Consensual non-monogamy seems perfectly in line with a Knight of the Cross to me.

The Knights of the Cross work for God, and God is love.

Agape love is a bit different from carnal love. Also, while it’s not against any rules, so far as we know, it was jarring for him to be acting that way when the series has established the Sidhe Knights as being more interested in the carnal.

Just an opinion. Regardless of whether it works, it was unnecessary and added nothing meaningful to the story. Rather, it was just empty fluff in a book already loaded with it.

Good... bad... I'm the guy with the gun. -Ash

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2020, 06:13:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure that as Jim was writing the book it might have got away from him in length and he felt that he couldn't shorten it in a way he would be satisfied with, so he decided to write 2 books. The problem is that when he split it he might have rushed it which is why it felt underwhelming. I dunno I may be wrong though but it's my initial thoughts.

It did feel rushed, frankly like most of the Dresden related short stories we've gotten to appease us
the last few years.  One wonders if he has spread himself too thin, writing two new series that might peek his interest more. He is bored with the series, but has committed himself for a half dozen or more books.  Takes us, his fans for granted so feels he can be a little more slip shod. Or is he trying to stretch out the series over his twenty or so books plus the BAT when maybe fewer books a little more carefully written would serve better? 

Offline knightedbishop

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2020, 07:22:22 PM »
Things I enjoyed:
* The scene at Michael's house when they test the lightsaber of Faith and conclude there are angels bound to the nails, just the opposite of the Fallen in the coins. This was a nice reveal. It is well set up, to make sense (I immediately thought of Uriel saying he is only allowed to respond in a mirror of the original offense). Now as I re-read the series I will look at the Swords differently and wonder what the angels bound to them are thinking.

* Harry summoning Molly. Their conversations were great. Veered from metaphysical (the Lady's mantle and how it meshes with Molly being human) to the power dynamic between them (negotiating a favor), to Harry pushing Molly to talk to her family. As a gay man who was terrified to come out to his parents, even though I knew they would love me, I understood Molly's fear.

* Mab getting sucker punched. You can be a big shot and still be caught off guard. I would argue the political effect of creating doubt about Mab's power was far more devastating than the physical act. Ethniu is going to pay for that in spades later. Based on the Christmas Ever story Mab is still around and Ethniu is not. Mab will enjoy seeing Ethniu get screwed, and at the hand of her knight.

* Seeing the Accord signatories come together under Marcone's leadership to defend Chicago. In the end, the fate of the mortal world rests with mortal choices. Marcone's choices to remind his guests of their obligations made a difference. I could otherwise imagine the group fracturing. While brief, hearing Ferro and Vadderung say that in short order they could lock Chicago down between the two of them is a tangible way to show how powerful they are. 

* Binding Thomas. It was unique way to use Demonreach. I thought it was well-written and added richness to the island. I am wondering though how in the heck six thousand uber baddies got brought to the island to be imprisoned. I can't imagine them docile and chained up, riding a barge to the island.

I didn't enjoy:
* A lot of what others have said. It was short for a novel. It's unfortunately that the story was broken into two parts. It leaves Peace Talks with a lot of set up and no where to go...except wait.

* The bickering between Ebenezer and Harry. A little was fine. Eb turning into a raving mad man everytime they talked got old and seems out of character for someone as intelligent as Eb. Though maybe family is just his blind spot.

* Conjuritis. I don't know what the point was.

* The lack of actual peace talks.

* Murphy cutting off her casts and then voila, being able to catch a Valkyrie off guard with no problem at Chateau Raith. This is beyond credulity. Murphy herself says at the start that the doctors hope to get her back to a portion of normal functioning, not to athletic function. And she's walking and throwing down after weeks in casts? Either this is poorly written or there is something going on behind the scenes. Maybe a Faustian bargain was already made and she doesn't remember (intentionally). Maybe someone powerful hitchhiked into her body and is fueling her without her awareness.

And a theory or two:
* Now we know Starborn happens every 666 years. Anyone done any astronomy deep dives yet to see if there is a comet or some constellation that comes up that often? So who is hanging on, waiting? Rashid is the immediate first choice, given how old he is. Maybe Listens-to-Winds. I'm not sure how old he is. I don't think the Merlin or Ebenezer are old enough.
* I think Demonreach has a grudge against Rashid because he was the last Warden and he abandoned his post to become the Gatekeeper. I wonder if this will be Harry's path too. In the BAT the island is destroyed, the banefire is released, the baddies escape setting off the apocalypse. Since they are immortal they cannot be killed, but to win the battle they are exiled outside of reality. Rashid passes on the torch to Harry, and he becomes the new Gatekeeper. He writes the case files while manning the Outer Gates.