Author Topic: Ebenezar and Harry (peace talks spoilers)  (Read 6950 times)

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Ebenezar and Harry (peace talks spoilers)
« on: July 16, 2020, 02:04:05 PM »
Well, the interaction between EB and Harry is probably one of the main content of peace talks. It reveals plenty of information.

Apparently Ebenezar seem to have experience something similar to what Harry has been through recently. and EB seem to make choices on the opposite spectrum from Harry, which seem to throw all the mistakes EB made at his face. Which probably explain why EB is so stubborn about Harry being wrong and stupid.

The battles both Harry and EB gotten into in the book, both against the enemy and against each other show us a lot about what wizards could potentially do given enough time to develop.

And the starborn thing too, though for me this is least important.

So a few questions:
1. Will Harry reach EB's level of power during the Dresden files series?
2. Do you think Ebenezar's lost of control is normal considering everything? or do you think there is fowl play involve like mind whammy or nem infection?
3. Is the starborn thing apply to all children born at that time? All including vanilla humans or it is just magically talented children or just children with wizard level talent. Does it apply to all children born at that time across the globe or just the children born cover by the starlight shining upon the planet?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 02:08:50 PM by huangjimmy108 »
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Ebenezar and Harry (peace talks spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 02:16:54 PM »

I am wondering if Eb isn't suffering from dementia of some sort?  His anger is very uncharacteristic, he seems way overboard as far as paranoia goes concerning Harry.   Or is he and most of the Senior Council, being wizards, are suseptable to being Nem infected, causing the unusual anger, paranoia, etc,  allowing the Enemy to divide and conquer. 

Offline Lord Kinbote

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 03:03:56 PM »
I also thought Eb was uncharacteristic.  Maybe infected?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 03:13:26 PM »
I also thought Eb was uncharacteristic.  Maybe infected?
Not listening en being angry? Trying to persuade without arguments or Relevant information and on authority only? He was like that in Changes.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline matrim55

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 03:14:17 PM »
Another thing that could be effecting Eb is the use of the Black Staff over time.

From changes we know it pulses with a black energy.  Also, if it is Mother Winter's walking stick, we can assume that it is not meant for humans.  EB to me is showing impulse control similar to Harry ever since take up the winter mantle.

Anyone agree?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »
He gets old. Sometimes dementia can cause anger and agression
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline noblehunter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 03:45:42 PM »
Whamps seem to be a particular pressure point for him. I don't think we've seen him deal with them extensively before. His behavior seems plausible if it looks like history is repeating itself with someone he cares about being led to their doom by the White Court.

Even the most controlled people can get unhinged if someone does a tap dance on their trauma.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 05:27:24 PM »
We know Wizards are subject to the same ills as other mortals and that magic doesn’t help. What if Eb is starting to suffer from dementia.? As posited above. He retains all his power but is starting to act irrationally. It would certainlyexplain him possibly whammying Thomas and trying to kill Harry. What can you do?

Demonreach. This may explain the English Prisoner and why he deserves to be there and the compassion protocol, he is another major practitioner suffering from dementia. Harry may have the dilemma of putting his grandfather in Demonreach to stop him harming himself and others. A whole new level of guilt for Harry, he gets Thomas out to replace him permanently with Eb.

We have indications thar Martha Liberty may be starting to suffer from osteoporosis and River Shoulders indicates Listens is not be long for the world. The Senior Council are dying of old age and complaints related to old age.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 05:36:25 PM »
We know Wizards are subject to the same ills as other mortals and that magic doesn’t help. What if Eb is starting to suffer from dementia.? As posited above. He retains all his power but is starting to act irrationally. It would certainlyexplain him possibly whammying Thomas and trying to kill Harry. What can you do?

Demonreach. This may explain the English Prisoner and why he deserves to be there and the compassion protocol, he is another major practitioner suffering from dementia. Harry may have the dilemma of putting his grandfather in Demonreach to stop him harming himself and others. A whole new level of guilt for Harry, he gets Thomas out to replace him permanently with Eb.

We have indications thar Martha Liberty may be starting to suffer from osteoporosis and River Shoulders indicates Listens is not be long for the world. The Senior Council are dying of old age and complaints related to old age.

There does seem to be a foreshadowing for the "changing of the guard" if you will.  Suddenly older wizards of the Senior Council were old but very powerful, suddenly they seem fragile.  Rivershoulders pointed out to Harry that Listens to Wind didn't have long for this world.  I will cry
when he leaves, he is one of my favorites.  If any of you saw the movie "Little Big Man," one of the stars was a Native American actor named Chief Dan George, he was elderly, strong, and came off as very wise.  When I read about Listens to Wind, that is who I picture.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 07:18:23 PM »
Eb and Maggie didn't have the best relationship either.  Harry is making choices similar to her which is bound to be hitting hard on Eb's emotions.  At the same time, Harry is throwing Eb's biggest mistakes back in his face.  I don't think his anger is too uncharacteristic.  It's covering up fear.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 07:27:46 PM »
Eb and Maggie didn't have the best relationship either.  Harry is making choices similar to her which is bound to be hitting hard on Eb's emotions.  At the same time, Harry is throwing Eb's biggest mistakes back in his face.  I don't think his anger is too uncharacteristic.  It's covering up fear.

Could be a lot of it, but also outside of that time in Blood Rites, Eb and Harry have never had that
heart to heart, at least not on page, that would answer a lot of questions that still haunt Harry.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 08:01:41 PM »
Whamps seem to be a particular pressure point for him. I don't think we've seen him deal with them extensively before. His behavior seems plausible if it looks like history is repeating itself with someone he cares about being led to their doom by the White Court.

Even the most controlled people can get unhinged if someone does a tap dance on their trauma.

Pretty much this.

I don't think this is horribly out-of-character for Eb, or Harry would have told him about Thomas before. (That is, the fact that Harry never mentioned that Thomas is Eb's grandson implies that Harry expected a dangerous reaction from Eb.)

Eb has supported Harry up to now. That doesn't necessarily mean he's a good person. Even though he is probably on the defenders-of-reality side of the current conflict, he's done a lot of pretty terrible things.

Maybe all the collateral damage from things like Krakatoa were justified given the threat, but that's still going to have pretty huge effects on his personality. Eb is protected from actual black magic corruption effects, but that's not going to keep him from becoming mentally scarred/calloused/burned out...

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 08:10:22 PM »
    I am wondering if Eb isn't suffering from dementia of some sort?  His anger is very uncharacteristic, he seems way overboard as far as paranoia goes concerning Harry.   Or is he and most of the Senior Council, being wizards, are suseptable to being Nem infected, causing the unusual anger, paranoia, etc,  allowing the Enemy to divide and conquer.
I think there are outside forces working against Eb's emotional well-being.  I speculated before that Mouse's siblings may be in play against Eb.  Then there are the outside forces that recently went up against Eb.  Peace Talks has that going up against Outsiders leaves a mark on ones psyche except if you are a starborn.  It could be that Eb's fight against the cornerhounds left him open to further emotional conflict.  I think the black council worked indirectly to divide Harry from Eb.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 08:16:01 PM »
I think Eb is afraid.  Everybody knows something is coming and what.  Except Harry.  And nobody is talking.  And Harry himself has some anger issues.  And this has something to do with Eb's wife, I just don't understand what yet.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 09:32:17 PM »
I think Eb is afraid.  Everybody knows something is coming and what.  Except Harry.  And nobody is talking.  And Harry himself has some anger issues.  And this has something to do with Eb's wife, I just don't understand what yet.

Oh shades of "Dune.."