Author Topic: Halfway through PT - some spoiler-ish free impressions and questions  (Read 1428 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Any spoilers should be very minor.  Nothing anyone couldn't have figured out for themselves.

First some minor stuff:
Lara didn't know about you know what. - Not that surprising.
Molly still keeping her job a secret. - Not really surprising.
Learning the capabilities and weakness of Butters light saber. - Jim has already talked about this in some interview or at a con.

More interesting stuff:
I correctly guessed Harry's relationship with the younger wardens. - Gratifying that I figured that out in advance.
We learn why Ebenezer really, really doesn't like the White Court. - This makes his scene with Lara in Turn Coat make more sense.
I was surprised that the major complication with Thomas occurred so soon. - I guessed it would occur about half-way through PT.  I thought it would be a giant complication added to earlier events, but seeing as it was in the trailer, the timing makes sense.
Cristos looks more like a dupe than a major player. - I suppose that could change.  Even if it doesn't, Cristos; sort of like detective Rudolph, could make himself a major pain that Harry has deal with or work around.

Odd questions and a disappointment or two:
One of the major players hasn't even shone up yet. - Unless, I missed something at the first meeting, I didn't see a description of any of them.  This is odd.
None of the major bad guys, mystery characters and questionable players that I wanted to see have appeared on the scene. -
Sure, one of them could be operating in the background but that's not the same thing.  I don't care that the semi-immortal shape-shifter guru from the Ukraine isn't at the talks, but I was hoping at least one really new and dangerous character (not in the short stories) would make their first appearance.  I suppose we could get a late arrival. 
We learned in advance that Kincade is no longer working for Ivy.  Who is he working for now?
I surprised Jim hasn't set up several players as potential suspects for the major complication with Thomas.
How come no one's asked the obvious question yet, cui bono? - I suppose there are too many potential enemies who would like to set one supernatural nation against another, but still.

Potential bad guys:
Ebenezer has been set up as a possible suspect.  He has the motivation.
We know from the short story Even Hand that Justine is far more capable than she appears in most of the novels.  Who else could convince Thomas to do something like this?  However, it's just speculation at this point.
Carlos Ramirez.  I think his wounds go deeper than just physical damage. - In terms of a potential backstabber, not in setting up Thomas.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:35:03 PM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Halfway through PT - some spoiler-ish free impressions and questions
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 10:26:29 PM »
Enjoy the rest!

Re: Molly still keeping her job a secret....

It's been a year. While people can get stuck like that, putting something off until the embarrassment of having put it off too long becomes another reason to keep putting it off, I wonder if this isn't a Fae thing.

(click to show/hide)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 01:42:26 AM »
Enjoy the rest!

Re: Molly still keeping her job a secret....

It's been a year. While people can get stuck like that, putting something off until the embarrassment of having put it off too long becomes another reason to keep putting it off, I wonder if this isn't a Fae thing.

(click to show/hide)

I think I understand what your getting at.

I forgot to add one more potential bad guy.
Ivana. - It might be an internal swartalve thing, but add to that, Ivana might have been PO'd at Thomas.  In the first chapter we found out that Thomas hadn't been feeding in a while.  While Ivana would not be jealous of Thomas' relationship with Justine; unless she was possessed by Nemesis, but she might have been insulted that Thomas wasn't feeding on her any longer.

(Damn, I have to work late tonight.  I'll have to finish the novel tomorrow.)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:44:04 AM by KurtinStGeorge »

Groucho Marx

Offline bmillard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 06:23:53 PM »
I'm also about halfway through and my first suspect was Ivana,
(click to show/hide)
and it not working out. For me Eb is also a prime suspect,
(click to show/hide)

The scene with Carlos when Harry was in his car was infuriating to me.
(click to show/hide)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 01:38:04 AM »
I'm also about halfway through and my first suspect was Ivana,
(click to show/hide)
and it not working out. For me Eb is also a prime suspect,
(click to show/hide)

The scene with Carlos when Harry was in his car was infuriating to me.
(click to show/hide)

Eb could do what your suggesting by using the blackstaff.

Groucho Marx