Author Topic: "Stick 'em with the pointy end" ... Peace Talks Spoilers  (Read 4842 times)

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
"Stick 'em with the pointy end" ... Peace Talks Spoilers
« on: July 15, 2020, 06:15:52 AM »
So here's an idea out of left-field.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:19:11 AM by SpacedCowboy »

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "Stick 'em with the pointy end" ... Peace Talks Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 06:30:45 AM »
Very interesting theory. Certainly, I think it's a possible resolution. However, the main issue I can see is that it would always do that for halflings like Thomas. Which wouldn't be super useful if one attacked you.

Personally, I think there is more to the Thomas story. Part of who the character is as a person is his struggle. The character wouldn't be as interesting without such problems. But then again, maybe it would add new ones.

Still though, interesting notion!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 07:40:40 AM »
White court vampires make their choice at the height of adolescence hormone levels in a setting chosen and controlled by their white court parent. They decide to have sex with someone and the demon starts feeding until the victim is killed.

Angels are full of free will but that does not mean well informed choices by grown up emotional stable minds. They prefer to keep you as ignorant as possible because knowledge could influence your choices.

We can also talk about the free will of the victim. She probably wanted to live but....
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 08:29:20 AM »
Thomas experienced all the pain he inflicted on others when he was sent down, which suggests a redemption arc.

However the little scene explaining the swords, doesn’t just explain the sword of faith,  it explains them all, and if they powered by an angel then,  it suggests all are capable of a range of effects if one intercedes with the angel. Killing his hunger at this time will kill Thomas, he needs massive infusions of life energy or a suitable alternative.

Thomas is susceptible to  True Love as a white Court vampire, and Harry has the sword of love, The Shroud and the Crown of Thorns, so what if instead they are used to invert Thomas’ demon from an incubus to an outcubus, a Cupid, feeding on love freely given, and repulsed by naked lust. Love is akin to the power of creation, Lara gets her brother back but radically changed, Harry retains a powerful ally, Eb gets a cupid as a grandson. Eb is actually quite speciest, not just about Vamps, but see how he treats Etri’s people, he might still have problems with a new Thomas and with Bonny.

This would allow Thomas to pick up a sword and be Arthur to Harry’s Merlin.

We don’t know enough about the White Courts origins, what if their founder was someone like Cupid corrupted? And Harry can correct it.

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 09:46:51 AM »
I like the idea that Butters, *a*doctor*, can effectively have a Scalpel of Faith.

This called also be used to save Justine's life: given how much of her life essence she's lost, I cannot currently see her surviving a pregnancy that kills half of all mothers (and remember that'll be including one night stands who've lost next to nothing). If Butters frees the kid from its phage though, all is well.

Presumably the reason children of white court vampires are rare is linked to the whole 'true love' thing: mother love could be fatal to the child, causing a miscarriage.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 11:34:23 AM »
We know there is a cure for Whampirism, True Love before fatal feeding. The hunger just withers away. I think that exposition together with the swords exposition may provide a cure for Thomas

Offline Gigglestomp

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 01:34:04 PM »
Thomas is going to have sex with a big foot to stabilize. Then, they might be able to kill his hunger with the sword but at this point it may be too intertwined with his pattern to remove.

We also know there are 3 squatch / halfsquatch in town or around, though all are male.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:39:16 PM by Gigglestomp »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 02:48:47 PM »
I am not sure Thomas is River Shoulders type, and frankly the Genowskwa is too much rough trade, and Irving isn’t in town yet. An alternative would be if Thomas was whammied Etri’s people donating the life force, to make up for the damage they did to him as puppet and nor principal Evanna allowing herself to be fed on unto death to compensate. Very in keeping with their outlook on life.

An alternative it was Evanna who whammied Thomas to kill Etri, most murders are committed by someone you know, maybe Thomas broke it off with her, due to Justine, triggering her to get Thomas to attack Etri. Very strange for a Swartelf, but Nemesis? She is second amongst Etri’s people, typical target for Nemesis. Maybe they got to Evanna in the same way they got to Lea.

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 03:04:33 PM »
White court vampires make their choice at the height of adolescence hormone levels in a setting chosen and controlled by their white court parent. They decide to have sex with someone and the demon starts feeding until the victim is killed

I think you’re describing an act and the consequences, not an informed choice - and I think a choice without any knowledge of the consequences is no choice at all. In no way (in the only example we’ve seen) was a choice made *to become a vampire*. Inari was an innocent, and if all it took to be eternally damned was to have sex as a horny teenager, well, I’m just saying there’d be a lot of vampires around.

Angels are full of free will but that does not mean well informed choices by grown up emotional stable minds. They prefer to keep you as ignorant as possible because knowledge could influence your choices.

I .. don’t see it that way. Angels have *no* free will (something that the fallen seem pretty annoyed about, actually), and I don’t think they *prefer* to keep you ignorant. I think there are rules that angels have to follow to prevent their adversaries from also being able to act, so the “good guys” are generally limited to correcting what the “bad guys” did, but I don’t see any angelic preference for ignorance on the part of the human actors.

We can also talk about the free will of the victim. She probably wanted to live but....

Agreed, but by your own argument, (s)he made the choice (uninformed, presumably) to have sex with a vampire, so...

Personally, I can see an Angel whose job it is to fight supernatural creatures being a-ok with just harming the predator (the hunger) in this instance. I don’t think there is any attempt to harm the human by any of the swords, it’s just the consequence of being hit with a sharp pointy piece of metal while the Angel does its own job. Remove the metal, and the human gets off “scot free”.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 03:17:40 PM »
I think you’re describing an act and the consequences, not an informed choice - and I think a choice without any knowledge of the consequences is no choice at all. In no way (in the only example we’ve seen) was a choice made *to become a vampire*. Inari was an innocent, and if all it took to be eternally damned was to have sex as a horny teenager, well, I’m just saying there’d be a lot of vampires around.

I .. don’t see it that way. Angels have *no* free will (something that the fallen seem pretty annoyed about, actually), and I don’t think they *prefer* to keep you ignorant. I think there are rules that angels have to follow to prevent their adversaries from also being able to act, so the “good guys” are generally limited to correcting what the “bad guys” did, but I don’t see any angelic preference for ignorance on the part of the human actors.

Agreed, but by your own argument, (s)he made the choice (uninformed, presumably) to have sex with a vampire, so...

Personally, I can see an Angel whose job it is to fight supernatural creatures being a-ok with just harming the predator (the hunger) in this instance. I don’t think there is any attempt to harm the human by any of the swords, it’s just the consequence of being hit with a sharp pointy piece of metal while the Angel does its own job. Remove the metal, and the human gets off “scot free”.
I think you misunderstood me. Angels talk about free will... For humans
When Harry needs some information to make an informed choice Uriel is not a fountain of information.

Angels do not have free will, they have purpose.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 03:22:04 PM »
Thomas experienced all the pain he inflicted on others when he was sent down, which suggests a redemption arc.

Yup.

Killing his hunger at this time will kill Thomas, he needs massive infusions of life energy or a suitable alternative.

Well, that depends on whether it’s Thomas that needs the energy or the demon. If you’re a demon capable of the things that Thomas’s can do, you presumably have the demonic equivalent of a high metabolism, presumably higher than a normal human’s. Removal of the demon (which up until now has been seen as impossible, so no-one knows the consequences) could be all that’s necessary for Thomas’s body to recover on his own.

Another possibility is that this is Harry’s ‘out’ from being the Winter Knight - that Thomas does need an influx of energy, and the Knight’s mantle is how he gets it, same deal as Harry - an immediate need with long term consequences. I don’t actually think this is the case for a bunch of reasons (I don’t see the upside for Mab, Harry needs more power in times to come, not less, and it cheapens the redemption arc) but it’s possible, and it would let Jim have the two brothers standing together against the enemy.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 03:30:04 PM »
Well if you want a complete mess what about Thomas feeding on other inmates?
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 03:38:24 PM »
Well if you want a complete mess what about Thomas feeding on other inmates?

Isn't he in solitary?  That's the impression I got from my quick skim..... Supposed to get the book
today, so far no cigar.. :(

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 03:44:44 PM »
Isn't he in solitary?  That's the impression I got from my quick skim..... Supposed to get the book
He is and he is totally weakened but with the help of the island and its warden something might be arranged.

The propblem of course is that you are what you eat
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »

Yeah, he’s on the “keep the human sane and mostly asleep” protocol.

It occurs to me that the cell might provide its inmate with whatever it needs to keep it alive, which in this case is a whole bunch of energy. This assumes that ‘execution if possible’ isn’t part of the islands purpose, but we’ve seen a previous human inmate surviving reasonably well, so I doubt that.