Author Topic: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]  (Read 28158 times)

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2020, 04:21:19 AM »
I'm willing to chalk Lara's diaper comment to her speaking loosely about feeling like she raised Thomas.  All the rest of her list would apply to a five year old.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2020, 08:17:52 AM »
Harry mentions Listen. Didn't Listen die in Bombshells?

Nah. He just got beat up a bit by Thomas:

Listen walked out on his own power, his hands behind his back, one of his eyes swollen halfway shut. He gave me a steady look as he went by and said nothing.
Bastard.

Butcher, Jim. Brief Cases (Dresden Files) (p. 273). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 08:20:27 AM by didymos »

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2020, 02:40:32 PM »
Others I noticed:

- The distance to the Raith manor is described as "several miles" (and he drives in convoy).   In Turn Coat it's "half a mile".

- Harry drinks that "black and white" potion, yet he still sees some things in color (like "scarlet blood") inconsistently.

- Lara states that's she never been betrayed by members of her household.   I guess Madeline in Turn Coat doesn't count?

- Not a dis-continuity, but you'd think the Raiths would have had a servant/maid doing things like changing diapers.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline didymos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2020, 03:06:38 PM »

- Lara states that's she never been betrayed by members of her household.   I guess Madeline in Turn Coat doesn't count?

She doesn't count the Raith Deeps thing either, dismissing it as "everyday treachery".

Offline RulesLawyer

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2020, 03:54:09 PM »
I don't think the loss of Dresden's memory of visiting the BFS while alive in Skin Game is a mistake.
Molly and Dresden visit it rather clearly in Skin Game. It's half a chapter. Dresden specifically mentions that it freaks the guard out they he knew were to go because he'd been there when dead.

Dresden and Molly go in, and what do they find, Mab. In her judgment aspect. Why is she in that aspect with Marcone? What were they discussing?
And when Dresden and Molly intercede, Jim writes this "But she [Mab] regarded me with a look of displeasure that promised me a reckoning later. Molly got the same glare."

Mab's messed with Harry's memory before (Small Favor). And if she messed with Molly's who would tell Harry that it happened (like she confirmed in Small Favor)? It also somewhat explains the Wardens' behavior now. They feel he's been compromised, but can't confirm due to Laws. Maybe he feels not right. It could also explain the cops (as speculated by Dresden that someone is pushing Rudolph). Why? Didn't Marcone take care of that as mentioned in Skin Game? 

Something happened. And Harry doesn't remember. Could be why the Karin thing is a bit...rushed? It feels 1 point out of 100 off. Not hugely off, but a small bit off.

AND, that would explain why so many things in Peace Talks feel...different. Off some how. Something else is going on. Marcone hosting the talks. Mab discussing things with him. There's a plan. It just doesn't feel like this Titian thing is a full surprise. There's another game going here. And I bet Marcone and Mab are behind a big-time plan behind it. Dresden's memory got in the way. Too risky for him to know for his own good. Sort of like when Mab took his memory of fire.

Also, there's something else to consider about Genosowka/Blood. Yeah, shapeshifter. Yeah coin. But if he died in the Underworld, what if Hades sent him back under a Geas as his punishment.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 04:03:19 PM by RulesLawyer »

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2020, 04:18:09 PM »

Also, there's something else to consider about Genosowka/Blood. Yeah, shapeshifter. Yeah coin. But if he died in the Underworld, what if Hades sent him back under a Geas as his punishment.

I like this altered-memory theory, especially the above bit. Hades is known for his 'interesting' punishments. The Genowska being geased into (a) *helping* Harry, and (even worse, b) being subject to Harry's orders would be just about the worst thing possible for him, I think :)

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2020, 08:00:58 PM »
Harry mentions Listen. Didn't Listen die in Bombshells?
Nope, he was captured.  Last we saw he was walking out with his hands tied behind his back.  Probably turned back over to the Fomor for money or something.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2020, 04:12:11 PM »
I still think the diapers thing is a continuity mistake, I don't think Thomas would be in diapers at that age. But perhaps, as it was suggested here, she was exaggerating to make a point of how much she cares for him.

About the ink dot, what irked me was the fact that after meeting Carlos, Harry is hurt and well treated by Butters, who does a good job cleaning his hands from the oil. So how the ink survived the cleaning?

In another thread, Alablast mentions Harry circle in the basement as being different. I am not sure about that because I don't remember the specifics.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2020, 04:35:52 PM »
Maybe "wrist" means "lower forearm?" Other than that, you're right. Either Harry or Butters should have noticed. I can see Butters missing or not commenting on it as he was awoken in the middle of the night and focused on Harry's injuries.

Alabast was right. The only thing I can think of is that it was still copper, at least in part. It's described as "a fivefoot hoop of braided copper, silver, and iron." I wouldn't be surprised by a lot of people calling something like that a copper circle. I'd be critical of it because it is wrong. If he's just trying to be concise, why not just call it a summoning circle?

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2020, 05:11:37 PM »
Maybe "wrist" means "lower forearm?" Other than that, you're right. Either Harry or Butters should have noticed. I can see Butters missing or not commenting on it as he was awoken in the middle of the night and focused on Harry's injuries.

Even so, he is a doctor and he was doing a cleaning. I would think he would be very conscious about it and all the doctors I've seen clean more than just the hands, and even all the wrist. In fact, I do that myself every time I wash "my hands" (specially now, of course). I mean, you may be right, it could have been a little above the wrist, but even so, it did not feel right.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2020, 02:26:43 AM »
Others I noticed:

- The distance to the Raith manor is described as "several miles" (and he drives in convoy).   In Turn Coat it's "half a mile".

- Harry drinks that "black and white" potion, yet he still sees some things in color (like "scarlet blood") inconsistently.

- Not a dis-continuity, but you'd think the Raiths would have had a servant/maid doing things like changing diapers.
It is how Daddy trained them. Daddy Raith would let her do it to get the right family bond.

“Family," Raith spat.
"Nothing but an accident of birth. Random consequence of desire and
response. Family is meaningless. It is nothing but the drive of blood to
further its own. Random combination of genes. It is utterly insignificant."

"Your children don't think
that," I said. "They think family is important."

He laughed. "Of course they think
that. I have trained them to do so. It is a simple and convenient way to
control them."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 02:34:20 AM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2020, 11:18:36 AM »
OMG I just found something. I'm currently listening to the audio book as a second "reading". It's page 185 (e-book Peace Talks), just after Harry comments on not having been to the BFS building since Ghost Story, we have mentioned in this thread already. I think during the first read I was too confused by his statement, that this escaped me.
First, a modest, plain bronze plaque fixed to the wall that spelled out the words BETTER FUTURE SOCIETY in letters an inch high.

I looked it up:
Ghost Story, page 199, e-book:
It read simply, BRIGHTER FUTURE SOCIETY.
OK, it's not so much difference. " better" - "brighter", but...
Could be misremembering from Butcher's side, but with the comment about having been there as a ghost and not at the end of Skin Game, I'm not so sure.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2020, 11:54:20 AM »
I looked it up:
Ghost Story, page 199, e-book:OK, it's not so much difference. " better" - "brighter", but...
Could be misremembering from Butcher's side, but with the comment about having been there as a ghost and not at the end of Skin Game, I'm not so sure.

Oh. Wow. Good spot. It's "Brighter Future Society" in Skin Game as well as Ghost Story, and in most of the references in Peace Talks. It's *just* the plaque that is wrong, not the text anywhere else.

Quote from: Peace Talks
"My comfy, dumpy old apartment was gone, flattened by Gentleman Johnnie Marcone to make way for his stupid little castle and the Bigger Better Brighter Future Society."
"The fete was being hosted at the Brighter Future Society's headquarters..."
"But as I approached the front door, I was struck by two things: First, a modest, plain bronze plaque fixed to the wall that spelled out the words BETTER FUTURE SOCIETY in letters an inch high..."

Ramirez reads the "Better Future Society" plaque and there's some discussion. And then later, when they talk about how Murphy is familiar with the building, it's back to Brighter Future Society twice.

You're definitely on to something, and I don't think it's a timey-wimey mirror mirror thing. For some reason, Marcone stuck a plaque on the door with the wrong name for the Peace Talks. Somethine's going on -- whether it's supposed to keep the low-key paranet-level BFS from attracting Accords-level notice or foil internet searches for them, or something weirder to do with the power of true names.

Perhaps it's Brighter Future Society when Butters and the wolves and the paranetters are the face of the organization, but Better Future Society when Marcone is? Possibly there's even a third name for when it's Lara's people.

But that sure looks like a deliberate switch, especially with that "... Bigger Better Brighter..." line to prime us to miss the difference.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2020, 06:07:02 PM »
I like that. I wish Shecky or another Beta reader read this thread.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Addicted To Stories

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2020, 12:54:37 PM »
See here for another continuity error - this one about confronting the Wardens in the road and when exactly was the last time he confronted that many Wardens.  Peace Talks says it was when he was a kid, over killing Justin.  But in Turn Coat he faced off against 5 wardens (and 3 senior council members) on Demonreach...

https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,53614.msg2330995.html#msg2330995