Author Topic: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]  (Read 28498 times)

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2020, 05:53:23 PM »
Sanya can simply have added muscle mass by working out.

The thing about Harry and the BFS is interesting since it happens at the end of Skin Game.  Another event that happened at the end of Skin Game that has now been changed was Murphy's prognosis.  She went from being able to recover up to 90% mobility down to 50%.  Come to think of it, Blood on His Soul is pretty much dead in Skin Game, but River says he's alive and out of Hades realm.

We also see the collection of other Harrys in Skin Game, and the book was originally supposed to follow Peace Talks was Mirror Mirror.

Hmm?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 06:08:43 PM by Walter the skull »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
There is the explanation she gave in the book about her control. She can use it whenever she wish to but she can not always choose when not to.

the only explanation I can think of is that her measure control is variable and depends on things like how well she is fed and how much preasure she is under.

The other reason of course is that Jim wanted to show the protection.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2020, 06:53:09 PM »

The thing about Harry and the BFS is interesting since it happens at the end of Skin Game.  Another event that happened at the end of Skin Game that has now been changed was Murphy's prognosis.  She went from being able to recover up to 90% mobility down to 50%.  Come to think of it, Blood on His Soul is pretty much dead in Skin Game, but River says he's alive and out of Hades realm.

It isn't mentioned, but there could be complications such as infections that could destroy tissue that cannot be replaced.  Nic wiped the pavement with her, several nasties walked upon it just before, who knows what nasty microbes got into her wounds.  Again, hate to harp on it, but her age, not that she is so old but she has been doing athletic things for over twenty years with some real heavy weights that puts wear and tear on joints, crippling osteoarthritis may have set in.  We've seen many a "youngish" newly retired NFL Football player walking with canes because his joints and body just wore out.  Not saying that did happen off page, but it is a realistic/ plausible explanation for her recovery going from 90% down to 50%.   

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2020, 07:12:14 PM »
It isn't mentioned, but there could be complications such as infections that could destroy tissue that cannot be replaced.  Nic wiped the pavement with her, several nasties walked upon it just before, who knows what nasty microbes got into her wounds.  Again, hate to harp on it, but her age, not that she is so old but she has been doing athletic things for over twenty years with some real heavy weights that puts wear and tear on joints, crippling osteoarthritis may have set in.  We've seen many a "youngish" newly retired NFL Football player walking with canes because his joints and body just wore out.  Not saying that did happen off page, but it is a realistic/ plausible explanation for her recovery going from 90% down to 50%.   
But he was covered everywhere but his hands and head and neck in their dojo duel.  I'm not sure any part of him touched her, did it? 

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2020, 07:25:47 PM »
But he was covered everywhere but his hands and head and neck in their dojo duel.  I'm not sure any part of him touched her, did it?
  You misunderstand, I mean when Nic beat up Murphy in the first place in Skin Game, she did have cuts and abrasions from hitting the sidewalk...  Who knows what microbes were on the cement, everything from animal poop and urine to what ever anyone passing by had on the soles of their shoes, also the stuff they spread to melt ice.. So in these days of antibiotic resistant microbes, Murphy could have gotten one hell of a drug resistant infection, she might be lucky to have come out of it with all her limbs..  Since frequently doctors are forced to amputate to keep the patient alive.
She may not have developed the infection until after the doctors gave their 90% recovery.  Doctors can be wrong, and she wouldn't be the first nor the last patient seemingly doing well suddenly go south..

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2020, 07:31:25 PM »
I thought there were two types of dragon - specifically big-D Dragon like Ferrovax and specifically little-d dragon - and that the one Michael killed (Siriothrax) as the lessor, but still powerful enough that it was considered a hard thing to do.  Or... maybe remembering wrong.  I need to find my Grave Peril book (I think it was in there)
Siriothrax was the least of the big-D Dragons.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline uncanny

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2020, 07:31:57 PM »
Murphy got her P-90 back after losing it in the water apparently.  Though that may have just been her being able to get another one.
Wasn't she given two originally?

Offline Smooth

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2020, 07:44:14 PM »

But she didn't get burned when they were on the ground together and the Mantle had very amorous ideas.  Harry merely called it off before it went any further, not that he didn't want it to go further. I am not saying she wouldn't have been burned, but just that it didn't happen. So unless they try again later in the book and she gets burnt, it didn't happen when she and Harry have their little exercise session at her estate when they first meet.

Well, that was before Harry and Murphy actually said aloud that they love each other... "words have power" -explanation?

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2020, 08:08:54 PM »
Mira:  You are right that a lot of things can alter a person's recovery trajectory.  On it's own its something I just kind of shrug at.  When add in the fact that Harry doesn't remember going into the BFS at the end of Skin Game, and the fact that bad bigfoot is up and around in the real world, it makes me wonder if Skin Happened the way we think it did.  Of course what's on the page is on the page, but in SG we learned about the existence of alternate Harrys.  Is the Harry in Peace Talks the Harry that was in SG?

In reality its probably just an error.  Books go through so many revisions i'm sure its hard to track what ends up on the final page.   

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2020, 08:12:47 PM »
Wasn't she given two originally?
Harry got the phone number of Kinkaid’s arms dealer in death masks:

Kincaid grinned. "I know a guy. I'll
have him call you. See you, Dresden."
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2020, 08:44:05 PM »
When add in the fact that Harry doesn't remember going into the BFS at the end of Skin Game, and the fact that bad bigfoot is up and around in the real world, it makes me wonder if Skin Happened the way we think it did.  Of course what's on the page is on the page, but in SG we learned about the existence of alternate Harrys.  Is the Harry in Peace Talks the Harry that was in SG?

He does have a coin doesn't he?  Doesn't he also have the ability to shape shift?  Cannot remember honestly, but if those things are true, things may not have happened the way they appeared to have happened, in which case, unless someone got his coin, he's still around.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 11:49:14 PM by Mira »

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2020, 08:58:34 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if some of River's people had the power and the knowledge to open a way. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2020, 09:15:15 PM »
Harry thought he might.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2020, 10:13:13 PM »
  You misunderstand, I mean when Nic beat up Murphy in the first place in Skin Game, she did have cuts and abrasions from hitting the sidewalk...  Who knows what microbes were on the cement, everything from animal poop and urine to what ever anyone passing by had on the soles of their shoes, also the stuff they spread to melt ice.. So in these days of antibiotic resistant microbes, Murphy could have gotten one hell of a drug resistant infection, she might be lucky to have come out of it with all her limbs..  Since frequently doctors are forced to amputate to keep the patient alive.
She may not have developed the infection until after the doctors gave their 90% recovery.  Doctors can be wrong, and she wouldn't be the first nor the last patient seemingly doing well suddenly go south..
Huh, I don't know what happened but my reply wasn't meant for your post that I quoted.  That one was about Lara and Harry.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2020, 03:56:09 AM »
I don't know that I would call the Mortimer things "intentional".  It might have also been just a mistake and a missed opportunity to fix.
Jim wrote the chapter. He posted it to his betas. They mentioned the mistake. He wrote the rest of GS without changing what is otherwise a minor detail. I don't see how that's a missed opportunity to fix it. Intentional seems way more likely to me.

There is the explanation she gave in the book about her control. She can use it whenever she wish to but she can not always choose when not to.

the only explanation I can think of is that her measure control is variable and depends on things like how well she is fed and how much preasure she is under.

The other reason of course is that Jim wanted to show the protection.
It might also depend on her level of desire.