Author Topic: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]  (Read 28435 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2020, 04:00:36 AM »
It might also depend on her level of desire.
Like I said, how well she is fed.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2020, 04:27:07 AM »
Like I said, how well she is fed.
I guess I'll be blunt. Her control might depend on how horny Lara is. Not how much of a reserve she has. Not how much her Hunger desires to feed. Just regular human lust. Maybe Harry just gets to her.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2020, 04:29:50 AM »
I guess I'll be blunt. Her control might depend on how horny Lara is. Not how much of a reserve she has. Not how much her Hunger desires to feed. Just regular human lust. Maybe Harry just gets to her.
I understood. I just do not think it is a factor of any importance.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2020, 01:14:56 PM »
I understood. I just do not think it is a factor of any importance.

Yeah, I don't think the usual "feeding on emotions" was happening here.  Lara loves her brother, and that is what she was feeding the Hunger to try and keep Thomas going.  To survive apparently the Hunger will eat anything at this point, including it's host, which makes no sense.  Because once it has "eaten" Thomas and he dies, it dies as well.  So two possibilities, the Hunger Demon really is just a mindless parasite not knowing what is in it's best interest in it's effort to survive.. Or it has a way to move onto a new host once it's present host is dead, so it survives.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2020, 01:28:56 PM »
   Yeah, I don't think the usual "feeding on emotions" was happening here.  Lara loves her brother, and that is what she was feeding the Hunger to try and keep Thomas going.  To survive apparently the Hunger will eat anything at this point, including it's host, which makes no sense.  Because once it has "eaten" Thomas and he dies, it dies as well.  So two possibilities, the Hunger Demon really is just a mindless parasite not knowing what is in it's best interest in it's effort to survive.. Or it has a way to move onto a new host once it's present host is dead, so it survives.
It needs to get energy to survive and by starving it Thomas turned against it. And humans are not that different. If they really get hungry they eat things they need to get a harvest next year. They know it will kill them over a year but not eating will kill them now.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2020, 02:25:38 PM »
The Hunger is a genuine parasite, and yes they will eat their host.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2020, 04:46:00 PM »
The difference between a symbiot and a parasite is purely what both parties get out of it, how they value it. The relation can change if the situation changes.

Especially when the host is weakened previous symbiots can change role.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_of_the_Damned
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2020, 05:52:10 PM »

Upon which it will die unless that is part of it's life cycle leading to it's reproduction.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2020, 11:50:37 PM »
Harry says something about "Notre Dame, before the fire." Is there some fire that happened before April 15, 2019? There's no way this book should take place in 2019 or later.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2020, 11:56:11 PM »
Harry says something about "Notre Dame, before the fire." Is there some fire that happened before April 15, 2019? There's no way this book should take place in 2019 or later.

I don't remember any spoken of, I still remember that horrible day with real sadness.  He also said that his father took him to see Star Wars.  That came out in 1977, Harry was supposedly six when his father died.  Does anyone remember the year Harry was born?  Because that would put him closer to fifty than his early forties.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2020, 12:01:18 AM »
Not one that I know of that would have changed the appearance.  We'll have to assume the events of the book are 2014-2015 timeframe, but his journal entry was post fire in 2019.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2020, 12:23:47 AM »
Mira: https://www.jim-butcher.com/timeline.

Grifter: Probably have to go with that to not break the timeline.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2020, 05:23:44 AM »
Mira: https://www.jim-butcher.com/timeline.

Grifter: Probably have to go with that to not break the timeline.

It doesn't give the year though, Harry was born twenty six years before Storm Front, but it doesn't give the year that Storm Front takes place in. 

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2020, 05:16:12 PM »
It doesn't give the year though, Harry was born twenty six years before Storm Front, but it doesn't give the year that Storm Front takes place in.
Storm Front happened within a year or two of 2000.  (with some admitted timeline mistakes)
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2020, 05:31:12 PM »
Storm Front happened within a year or two of 2000.  (with some admitted timeline mistakes)

That has Harry being born around 1974, give or take, Star Wars came out in 1977.. So maybe as a three year old he remembers going to see it with his dad? 

Marcone bothers me a bit also.  I seem to remember in Skin Game, as they are wrecking the bank Harry saying that Marcone had to be going along with Mab on it.  But in Peace Talks Harry seems to be saying he wasn't.