Author Topic: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]  (Read 28456 times)

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]
« on: July 15, 2020, 02:59:01 AM »
After one read-through, I thought there were a couple continuity items, but they mostly revolved around who knew certain secrets, and one about BFS. If anyone catches any others, feel free to share.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Talks - Continuity Notes [Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 06:47:02 AM »
Indeed. There were several continuity errors. Good pick up about the fete.

Sanya's sudden change in build. He was tall and lanky before, buffer than Harry but no Michael. Now he apparently is a linebacker. Massive change.

In Peace Talks Harry says the last time a Dragon died it was in Tunguska. Except it wasn't because Michael killed one in his 20s. Tunguska was in 1908. And when Eb first reveals to Harry about being the Blackstaff, he claims credit for that explosion.

Perhaps these are part of the intentional continuity errors that Jim once hinted at. Hopefully so.

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 09:56:46 AM »
I'll have to go back and reread, but are you *sure* that is was the death of a Dragon that caused Tunguska? I thought he said it was a naagloshi.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 10:28:49 AM »
Perhaps these are part of the intentional continuity errors that Jim once hinted at. Hopefully so.

What are the reasons behind him doing that?   ???

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 11:13:27 AM »
Maybe the dragon did die at Tunguska killed by Michael decades after the 1908 explosion caused by Ebb, it may have been a dark site like the Full Moon garage re-used by different sets of villains. This has happened to Harry a couple of times in series, so not unlikely that it has happened out of series.

Jim is just vague on this to set off all the continuity buffs

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 11:22:59 AM »
@Mira- There have been hints that some continuity errors have been intentional clues of time travel, but as far as I know it's just hints.

Re: Michael killing Siriothrax...

The text in Peace Talks reads: "The last time a dragon had been slain out here in the tangible, mortal world, it had been in a region called Tunguska."

So, perhaps Michael killed Siriothrax in a part of the Nevernever -- perhaps its lair was its personal domain, outside the mortal world?

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 11:37:14 AM »
Clintack - Not a bad explanation for the Dragon. If of course Jim just forgot he had already used Tunguska. In saying that, if it wasn't a mistake then I think Jim is making a point. Damned if I know what it is though.

Mira - What Clintack said.

Conspiracy Theorist - Do you know Jim? Are you sure this is what he is doing? I wouldn't be so certain. It's possible I grant you. But I guarantee there is also a story reason if it isn't a genuine oversight (which do happen).

As for your theory on Tunguska. Yeah, it's possible. But as above, if it wasn't an accident what is Jim trying to set up?

Also, no theories anyone on Sanya or the fact Harry and already been to the BFS but apparently didn't remember?

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 11:57:35 AM »
went looking, and yes it was a dragon, but there's a qualifier:
"The last time a dragon had been slain out here in the tangible, mortal world, it had been in a region called Tunguska"

So clearly Michael killed the Dragon somewhere in the NeverNever, which sort of makes sense. As a budding wizard, Charity could easily have ended up there, and been taken home for a snack.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 01:03:30 PM »
As for your theory on Tunguska. Yeah, it's possible. But as above, if it wasn't an accident what is Jim trying to set up?

That bad things keep happening in the same places? Harry has never sought out trouble, it has come to him. In narrative terms this is a continuity pile-up when the series is going on for a long time. Look at Murder she Wrote, Cabot Cove had a hell of a murder rate, a different murderer every week,  but they avoided this in Buffy The Vampire Slayer by creating the Hellmouth, I think Jim creatively is closer to Joss Whedon than the producers of Murder She Wrote (otherwise Harry would have been very different). Chicago gets both Battlefield and the BAT. The only time most of a denouement takes place out of Chicago or environs? Changes when Harry is forced to go to the problem, and then to another renowned dark site. The one novel designed to shake up the series.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
There have been hints that some continuity errors have been intentional clues of time travel, but as far as I know it's just hints.

Or excuses, justifications for sloppy writing and editing...  Sorry, but those kinds of errors in a series are one of my pet peeves..  I also don't see what use they'd be in future time travel, because it seems like the dates and names change nothing unless he is trying to say Michael never killed that dragon, thus Charity was never saved, so Molly was never born. At least not to Michael and Charity..  Molly is still in the book, so I don't think the time travel excuse applies.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 02:26:33 PM »
I have heard of the time travel explanation, but this would expect to be in Harry’s personal timeline rather than historical time.

The other major explanation is that Harry is an unreliable narrator, it’s Harry’s fault not Jim’s.

Something in their own desmesne in the Never Never is where they are strongest, not where you would ideally take on a Dragon. However Tunguska was a considered to be the air burst of a stony meteorite of about 330 feet diameter, but no sizeable fragments were found, maybe a Dragon took them for their hoard, and liked the place for it’s nice evil atmosphere and remoteness from man.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 03:40:50 PM »
The other major explanation is that Harry is an unreliable narrator, it’s Harry’s fault not Jim’s.

But we all know he is Jim's alter ego... ::)

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »
Murphy got her P-90 back after losing it in the water apparently.  Though that may have just been her being able to get another one.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 04:24:45 PM »
Murphy got her P-90 back after losing it in the water apparently.  Though that may have just been her being able to get another one.
Maybe just gave Kincaid a call. Or marcone. Or Lara. She clearly learned to appreciate them and they are not exactly unique items.

It just shows she has the necessary contacts to get them. And a rocket launcher if needed.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 04:32:59 PM »
And fragmentation grenades.