Author Topic: NOT FAIR!!!!!!  (Read 6838 times)

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: NOT FAIR!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 01:04:42 AM »
We ordered both books at the same time from Amazon.  Amazon is now saying Peace Talks will ship in October...

Anyone else have this problem?
That's weird.  The other is coming out in September, right?  So it's not even like they're delaying to bundle.  I wonder if it's higher demand than they expected or what...

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2020, 03:26:29 AM »
We ordered both books at the same time from Amazon.  Amazon is now saying Peace Talks will ship in October...

Anyone else have this problem?
  Call customer service and BITCH big time!   I did, I was very upset, I also apologized to the worker who took the call, because I didn't want him to think I was bitching at him.  He understood and said he didn't blame me for being pissed, however a remedy was above his pay grade and passed me on to a supervisor.   She gave me a lot of double talk which I didn't understand claiming it wasn't Amazon's fault, then again maybe it was, because she then gave me a $20.00 credit which basically paid for the book.  I just got notice late tonight that it should be here tomorrow, I am not going to hold my breath. 

SerScot it sounds like they mixed something up, and usually Amazon is pretty good about making things right if they screwed up, so call customer service.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:37:43 AM by Mira »

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2020, 04:11:42 AM »
Weird, my Amazon copy shipped right on time and came in today. I wonder if it's dependent on what country you're in?

Agree that customer service is worth knocking up. They've been pretty good for me about delays.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2020, 10:32:44 AM »
Weird, my Amazon copy shipped right on time and came in today. I wonder if it's dependent on what country you're in?

Agree that customer service is worth knocking up. They've been pretty good for me about delays.

(click to show/hide)

I live more or less in the center of the United States..  So it could have been COVID, or there were
some severe thunderstorms this past weekend near me there were some power outages and damage.   It might have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, but Amazon never mentioned those things as excuses.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:12:34 PM by Mira »

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »
NOT FAIR!!!!!!
(click to show/hide)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2020, 11:21:51 AM »
  I live more or less in the center of the United States..  So it could have been COVID, or there were
some severe thunderstorms this past weekend near me there were some power outages and damage.   It might have been in the wrong place at the wrong time, but that Amazon nothing about either.
Yeah try to find a natural explanation, that is what normal humans do.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 01:13:34 PM »
Yeah try to find a natural explanation, that is what normal humans do.

I know one thing I shouldn't try and post at five in the morning on a couple swallows of coffee! 

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2020, 06:09:15 PM »
So I called Amazon Customer Service and they said USPS lost the order and they are resending... in October.  The guy on the line is really nice but 4 months to replace a lost book?  That makes no sense, at all.  He keeps apologizing and offering a refund.  I just want the book.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 06:23:15 PM »
Now they say I should get it next week.  :)
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2020, 06:24:38 PM »
2:1, they were putting you on a list for the next one at first. October makes sense

Offline Fineous

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 09:00:09 PM »
Hey, I've been working in the book industry for 32 years and can give you some insights into what is probably going on.

Penguin Books, the publisher, has run out of copies.  There is a huge paper shortage in the US right now, cause by Corona and Trumps trade deals, which is making it much harder to physically print things right now.  My guess would be that Amazon ran out of copies, reordered from Penguin, and Penguin doesn't have any more, and has decided to delay a bit to allocate their supplies of paper to other new books before doing a second print run of Peace Talks.

Depending on where you are in the United States, if you have an independent bookstore near you, I would recommend going to them.  Most Indies order from a distributor called Ingram Books, and they still have copies left in most of their US warehouses. If you go there they could order you a copy and have it within a couple of days.
Otherwise, I would guess you're out of luck till October.

Amazon cuts their profits so fine, that the 5 or so % difference in their cost from ordering from Ingram vs direct from Penguin would make them unable to ever order from them, but Indies can't operate that way, so they would be happy to do it for you.

Edit- Though Amazon currently says they have it in stock, so not sure what the heck is going on there...
Edit again - Now when I checked Penguin again, it is listed as back in stock. Probably why you guys got notifications that you are getting it after all.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:28:10 PM by Fineous »
Bad Ash:  See, you're GOOD Ash, and I'm BAD Ash.  You're a little goody two-shoes, little goody two-shoes, little goody. . .
*Click* *BOOM*
Good Ash: Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2020, 11:55:24 PM »
Personally I think that not getting Peace Talks right away is a blessing in disguise. Once you read it, you'll realize that it's only the first half of a Book and be glad you don't have to wait as long as everyone else for the other half.

Offline Wolfeyes

• Conversationalist
  • Certified bookworm
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2020, 02:40:14 AM »
Personally I think that not getting Peace Talks right away is a blessing in disguise. Once you read it, you'll realize that it's only the first half of a Book and be glad you don't have to wait as long as everyone else for the other half.

This is a valid way of looking at it, if you don't have a copy atm.

But then again, I also debated giving my copy to my dad since his copy was delayed and I was still on GS for my reread, just so I'd have less wait time...an that lasted until I actually got the copy. Now it's just an excuse to read faster so I can lend to my dad and get it back to reread before BG  ::)

Offline Fineous

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2020, 03:16:52 AM »
Yeah, Battle Ground doesn't deserve to be it's own book, but Peace Talks part 2 would have broken the naming convention. I definitely would have been annoyed at the ending of I'd had to wait 2 more months. 😝
Bad Ash:  See, you're GOOD Ash, and I'm BAD Ash.  You're a little goody two-shoes, little goody two-shoes, little goody. . .
*Click* *BOOM*
Good Ash: Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2020, 04:01:05 AM »
I'm of the opinion that they should have just left it as one book. Sure, the (purportedly) combined 784 pages would set a Dresden page count record, but Wise Man's Fear was 994 and it wasn't too big. Several of Martin's books are that length or longer.

That being said, I get it, it's a business, and the publisher needs to make up for time and investment. It's just too much on the heels of stretching American Gods into multiple seasons when it could have been one, and splitting the Final Fantasy remake up into multiple games.

I figured it'd be more like Avengers IW and Endgame, where each one is it's own story.  But it's just the one.

I'm just glad Butcher insisted they be released in short order so that we wouldn't have to wait a year.