Author Topic: Battle Ground !!!SPOILERS!!!  (Read 13839 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground !!!SPOILERS!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2020, 05:36:01 PM »
I noted the line in Turncoat during my recent re-read, but don’t think Harry would Darkhallow in Battle Field as it would kill the people of Chicago. He has the tools to take on the Titan at Demonreach, as well as the necessary skills and knowledge. I also think that when he does use the Darkhallow, it will be on a battlefield of his choosing. The overrun gates spring to mind, or Demonreach, or New Jersey not the City. I also think he won’t use it for himself, he will elevate someone else ( I always imagine a Galactus sized and hungry Toot, off to find the Discworld)

It depends, and he might be able to save the city with Darkhallow, he may not have any options but to do so.  It appears from the "butcher's bill" as Lord Nelson used to call it that Molly presented him,  the total medical bills and funeral bills, it numbers in the thousands.  However if he doesn't use Darkhallow, it could number in the millions.  It could be that the tools back on Demonreach enable him to use Darkhallow without becoming corrupted by it and enable him to control it more.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 06:45:19 PM »
The problem is that Harry is representing one or both groups, and so is acting as proxy. While it's possible he is going all lone wolf, I think the Council and/or Mab would stop him from interfering. Mab would hardly need to try as I suspect him disobeying her would rob him of his mantle and paralyze him. In theory, Harry could act independently of the Council. In practice (especially considering the political maneuvering against him) he likely would give them all the excuse they need to either lock him up or execute him.

Mab wouldn't have any reason to command him not to defend his home if the Fomor attacked Marcone's territory, though. She wants them to fall, but so long as she doesn't order his action, she has a solid argument that her Knight doesn't have an Accorded obligation to let his home get trashed by a dispute between two other powers to preserve Winter's neutrality.

The Council don't have to be as strictly legalistic, granted. They'd be pissed if he intervened and dragged them into another open war while failing to kill the Empress ... but the Council are pretty remote, and if he fails in this, he'll be dead before he has to worry about their disapproval. On the other hand, if his worst weekend of the year ends up with a dead Titan that he reports to them as a fait accompli, what are they going to do about it? The Wardens have been in hard fighting against the Fomor for some years right now without a declaration of formal war ... bringing in the enemy leader's head would mend a lot of fences with pro-Harry young Wardens wavering over him joining Winter and being MIA for the Fomor fighting.

Besides, there's another out by which he can take Marcone's side, if that is the scenario. He still owes Vadderung a favour. If he trades that to Marcone to use on aiding the defense of Chicago, Harry isn't representing either Winter or the Council. He's paying off a debt as he's obligated to do.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:47:34 PM by Snark Knight »

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2020, 08:32:28 PM »
A Darkhallow would take more than thousands of lives, I think the ‘Butchers Bill’ is collateral damage saving Chicago, remember Chicago is important to Faerie, destroy it and you screw up Faerie, perhaps Winter itself. The other point is that this is where the mortal world realises what has been going on behind the scenes.

Offline magical_liopleurodon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2020, 09:10:34 AM »
Man, I'm really looking forward to this.

Preview chapters start coming out next week

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2020, 10:27:25 AM »
Man, I'm really looking forward to this.

Preview chapters start coming out next week

Oooooh yes! It's only 4 days. I'm soooooo excited!

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2020, 10:51:53 AM »
A Darkhallow would take more than thousands of lives, I think the ‘Butchers Bill’ is collateral damage saving Chicago, remember Chicago is important to Faerie, destroy it and you screw up Faerie, perhaps Winter itself. The other point is that this is where the mortal world realises what has been going on behind the scenes.

Remember Molly came to Harry on Christmas Eve telling him the Winter Court paid for the funeral and the medical bills for thousands?  Harry felt totally responsible, now either because he didn't stop the titian before this happened, or to stop her he had to use Dark Hallow.  Now yeah, I also realize that it could have been Harry, just being Harry, feeling responsible for stuff beyond his control.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2020, 11:14:03 AM »
It’s the difference between Eb and Harry, Eb (partly through the Blackstaff and partly through his own nature) is incapable of accepting blame. Harry not only accepts blame for his actions but feels responsible even for things he really shouldn’t, where clearly he did everything in his power to stop events unfolding. His presence in Chicago indirectly led to it being a target (through Mab’s machinations) leading to loss of life and injury. Harry did everything anyone could to mitigate the harm, but he appears to have made Mab accept her role and pay reparations. It’s still not enough.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2020, 03:21:40 PM »
It’s the difference between Eb and Harry, Eb (partly through the Blackstaff and partly through his own nature) is incapable of accepting blame. Harry not only accepts blame for his actions but feels responsible even for things he really shouldn’t, where clearly he did everything in his power to stop events unfolding. His presence in Chicago indirectly led to it being a target (through Mab’s machinations) leading to loss of life and injury. Harry did everything anyone could to mitigate the harm, but he appears to have made Mab accept her role and pay reparations. It’s still not enough.

Well, lets see what he feels responsible for first. 

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2020, 07:22:32 PM »
It’s the difference between Eb and Harry, Eb (partly through the Blackstaff and partly through his own nature) is incapable of accepting blame.

I don't know, he does seem troubled by what he's done in BR.

I think it's more that Eb thinks that what he's done is for the best. That's not incompatible with feeling guilt over what he "had to do", but it won't keep him from doing it again in the same situation. He's inflexible, like most old wizards.

The Blackstaff keeps him from being corrupted by black magic, but it doesn't keep him from rationalizing the things he's done.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2020, 07:47:28 PM »
I don't know, he does seem troubled by what he's done in BR.

I think it's more that Eb thinks that what he's done is for the best. That's not incompatible with feeling guilt over what he "had to do", but it won't keep him from doing it again in the same situation. He's inflexible, like most old wizards.

The Blackstaff keeps him from being corrupted by black magic, but it doesn't keep him from rationalizing the things he's done.

Exactly, I believe Eb has said he felt a bit guilty about what he has done.  Feeling guilt isn't the same as being corrupted by black magic, actually the opposite.  It is about the power trip that using black magic gives, it is easier and seemingly more bang for the buck so to speak.  Using it once leads to using more, that is how it corrupts.  The fact that Eb does feel some guilt and bad about some of what he has down, says he isn't corrupted by what he is forced to do with the staff.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2020, 11:47:11 AM »
oh the torture of waiting for a new chapter

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2020, 11:52:48 AM »
“The City was underwater, and it wasn’t my fault.”

I keep checking, if there is no chapter drop,  there are going to be a lot of irate fans.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2020, 11:57:31 AM »
There will be a chapter drop -- but probably not for another 6-8 hours.

oh the torture of waiting for a new chapter

... exceeded only by the torture of finishing the new chapter and realizing it's a whole week before you'll get another...

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2020, 12:09:24 PM »
There will be a chapter drop -- but probably not for another 6-8 hours.

... exceeded only by the torture of finishing the new chapter and realizing it's a whole week before you'll get another...

oh man. I see that Priscellie usually posts at 10am-ish. What timezone? If that's San Francisco, I'm gonna die  ;D

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2020, 12:15:26 PM »
I try not to read it this time. Or at least read two chapters. So I will be absent from the boards for a while. But not sure if I can do it. I'd rather read the whole book when it is out.

Edit: the drops were usually 6-8 hours from now, if this is any help. ;)