Author Topic: Battle Ground !!!SPOILERS!!!  (Read 13850 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Ground !!!SPOILERS!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2020, 01:20:13 AM »
Demonreach has a huge summoning circle, so it can drag a potential prisoner there if Harry has a true name or blood to make the connection and not all the senior council know Harry’s relation with Demonreach, Eb and Listens know for certain, the others may know of  Demonreach’s true purpose but not realise Harry took it as a Sanctum.

Christos doesn’t have the clout without the Merlin to get Harry thrown out, Harry has consistently undercut the Merlin’s authority, ended the war with the Ramps in utter finality overshadowing the Merlin’s counter attack and has custody of Excalibur, that’s got to sting. Christos may have gone  Wormtongue on the Merlin to encourage it.

Nick wanted the spearhead, he didn’t want the rest of the items but to use them properly together as a ritual would likely require soul fire, why? Because Harry has been given it, its a Checkov’s gun

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2020, 05:36:10 AM »

If Christos is alive, I think he may be the guy Thomas was sent to assassinate.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2020, 06:54:40 AM »
This is the blurb for Battle Ground:
(click to show/hide)

I have bolded the important bits. The main thing to note is that it is Harry's mission to kill the Titan. Who says Zeus couldn't kill the Titans? Perhaps he chose not to. The myths seem to indicate he spared the female Titans as they did not participate in the war. So who says he even tried? In the original greek sense of the word, Immortals were literally unkillable. You couldn't destroy them any more than you could kill gravity or time. They represented abstract power. In the Dresden Files it turns out their are certain times and places that they are able to be killed called conjunctions. So perhaps Harry can do it if he can get the Titan into the right conjunction. But maybe not. I suspect Jim will take away Harry's Halloween advantage.

Conspiracy Theorist - Even the Merlin doesn't have the power to throw Harry out on his own. It requires a full vote without quorum. Even if it was just the Senior Council Harry probably has enough votes to stay. And as Ebenezer says in chapter 3, Cristos is throwing around a lot of orders these days. And you forget, he rounded up many young wardens at the end of Changes. He commands roughly a third of the Council on his own...which is more than probably any other member other than Langtry. I think you completely underestimate his influence and power to be honest. Cristos isn't Wormtongue. Cristos put himself on the Council above more senior wizards. Whether he organised it or he is merely a pawn of the Black Council, he benefited from the death of his mentor (LaFortier). He is dangerous and powerful and well connected. Also he distinguished himself in battle with a Rakshasa (no minor feat). Cristos likely intends to be the next Merlin (should the Council survive that long).

And that whole thing about Soulfire...is speculation. It could be a chekhov's gun. But we don't know that. It hasn't been stated or hinted otherwise. Besides, the weapons contain their own energy. Soulfire allows Harry to do more with his magic. Be more of what he is. Give his spells more reality. But where does it indicate that Nicodemus wanted the other artefacts of the Christ? Harry surmises that his main goal was the knife but his stated one was the grail. I am sure Nic could do a whole lot of damage just with one. Look what he did with the fake shroud.

Mira - we know that the person he was sent to assassinate is
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:00:04 AM by Yuillegan »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 12:56:12 PM »
I have bolded the important bits. The main thing to note is that it is Harry's mission to kill the Titan. Who says Zeus couldn't kill the Titans?

That may be Harry's mission, but that doesn't mean that he can.  Zeus also transformed some Titans.
Jim also takes myths and makes them his own, so perhaps Harry will find a way with the tools he has.
Let's not forget Zeus was a god, Harry isn't, there is a huge power difference.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2020, 03:03:14 PM »
Obviously, hence the dilemma. All good stories have a problem. This is Harry's to solve.

Which Titan did Zeus transform?

Indeed, Jim will do whatever he will do. But we can guess! I suspect Harry has at least some of the necessary tools otherwise there'd be no point to the story if he couldn't do it. But what they are is the mystery.

Indeed, the power difference is huge. But remember that WOJ about mortals being more of a threat to Mab than some villains/monsters. It's not a major chance of success, but it isn't zero either. It's about exploiting the weaknesses of your opponent. Perhaps Zeus can't kill other immortals. Perhaps killing a Titan would mess with nature. But clearly Harry has to, maybe it isn't as easy to lock up an angry Titan with an army as just try and kill her.

Offline Paviel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2020, 03:20:57 PM »
But it took the combined might of Zeus, Poseidon and Hades to defeat their father Cronus/Kronos. Which puts in perspective just how strong these Titans are.

Well, Harry already has one thing in common with Zeus: He has gestated a spirit of intellect in his head. Maybe he'll become more like Zeus in other ways too.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2020, 04:06:37 PM »
Well, Harry already has one thing in common with Zeus: He has gestated a spirit of intellect in his head. Maybe he'll become more like Zeus in other ways too.

There is one way I can think of that Harry knows how to do that could generate enough power to kill a Titan, but at great cost.  Darkhallow, it would give him god like powers, take out the Titian but a lot of other people with her.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2020, 05:59:48 PM »
Do we know the identity of the Titan, of the six Titanides my money is on Themis.

From Wikipedia “When Themis is disregarded, Nemesis brings just and wrathful retribution; ”

Sounds like a Nemfected Titan to me. Of course if it is Themis, she would be Mab’s granny, which would be interesting, Mab has ordered Harry to kill her daughter, now he has to take on her granny? What a family!

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2020, 09:42:28 PM »
I don't necessarily see the Titan = Fomor connection.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2020, 10:37:27 PM »
Vultur, it's based on a theory.

1. The Fomor are ruled by an Empress. There are several kings and lords under her.
2. The Fomor have requested the Peace Talks summit, but obviously it's the same thing as the Red Court in that any talk of armistice is itself a distraction for an assault. The White Council are not dictating from a position of strength.
3. There is a strong Black Council connection with the Fomor.
4. When the Peace Talks are revealed for what they are/disrupted (as we know precedes Battle Ground) the Last Titan emerges with an army to take Chicago and then reshape the world.
5. The Fomor (natural) were cousins of the Jotun and intermarried with the Fae, but now they are the remnants of all the exiles of nations that border the sea (fallen gods, dark beings of light, giants) all under the banner of the Fomor.

The obvious choice for the army is the Fomor, which would likely be led by their mysterious Empress. So many (like myself) have concluded that the Empress is the Last Titan. She doesn't have to be a "native" Fomor to be a Fomor as they are now a mixed bag. And she is certainly strong enough to rule them. The Last Titan sounds strong enough to be a Freeholding Lord in her own right.

Conspiracy THeorist - No one yet knows. Top guesses are Gaia and Tethys (goddess of the waters - the fomor water connection). But Themis is as good as any.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2020, 02:49:20 AM »
The only logical conclusion is they are not available. Perhaps Winter and Summer alike are besieged. Perhaps Titania elects not to help (in her every more mysterious way). Perhaps the Gates come under major assault. Perhaps Mab is crippled somehow.

Maybe the White Council tries to help but is scattered to the wind. Maybe it's a divide and conquer thing.

The unavailability could be political rather than tactical. Maybe something about the outcome of Peace Talks gives the Empress a legally justified cause under the Accords to declare war on Chicago. That would make it politically untenable for the Council to do anything, and literally impossible for the Fae to act if it would violate the Accords they agreed to.

The city is Marcone's territory, and he's the host of the meeting. If he's held responsible for something happening to a Fomor VIP, that could be cassus belli. Or maybe the Black Council are looking to set him up the same way they did Harry in Grave Peril - force him into a situation where he has to choose between provoking a war or crossing a line they know he won't. ('No kids'?)

But Harry can act independently of the Council on the grounds that he lives there and he's defending his home. And if they go through with kicking him out (temporarily, Christmas Eve implies), it's a degree more freedom at least.

As for Mab, she's only responsible for what she orders her Knight to do. If he chooses to get into fights on his own, he's not getting backup, but she's not going to stop him either.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2020, 05:32:04 AM »
Half the senior Council are North America, and the majority of the Wardens look to Harry now, as do the minor practitioners of the Paranet

I don't think that's necessarily true any longer.  The White Council is supposed to have continued fighting; the Fomor of course, after Harry took care of the Red Court.  From their perspective Harry disappears when they're attacked by another and new major enemy.  Even after Harry is reported to be alive he doesn't come back to help the Council.  Instead Harry's become associated with another scary major power; and while not an enemy, Winter isn't exactly anyone's friend either.  Plus, being the Winter Knight means everyone knows Harry has received a major power upgrade and that most Winter Knights are or become monsters in their own right.  While I don't think the younger wardens are in league with Merlin or Cristos, I would bet many of them have doubts about Harry.

I think Harry is in a position that he will have to demonstrate who he really is in order to regain his former position of trust with the younger wardens.  However, that may be somewhat easier said than done, at least judging by the short scene in the trailer where Warden Ramirez questions Harry's loyalty.  If Carlos starts to distrust Harry, you can bet any other wardens Ramirez is in close contact with will soon know about it.

The members of the Paranet are probably more trusting of Harry than most members of the White Council; maybe, but maybe not.  At this point I think a lot of their opinion might depend on Butters and what he's been telling his Paranet contacts after the events in Skin Game.  Many of them may have become as distrusting of Harry as Butters had become.  They were the ones who had been taking losses while Harry was stuck on Demonreach.  My guess is only some of them trust Harry now.  Plus, the whole Winter Knight thing scares a lot of people.  Again, I think Harry will have to win back some people's trust.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 05:34:46 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2020, 06:42:31 AM »
SK - Could be that it is political. I can't really seeing the Council just allowing a slaughter of human life though...but it would be interesting if they had to choose between their mission and the Accords. I can definitely see Cristos arguing against defending Chicago. Mab would never violate her own Accords.

The problem is that Harry is representing one or both groups, and so is acting as proxy. While it's possible he is going all lone wolf, I think the Council and/or Mab would stop him from interfering. Mab would hardly need to try as I suspect him disobeying her would rob him of his mantle and paralyze him. In theory, Harry could act independently of the Council. In practice (especially considering the political maneuvering against him) he likely would give them all the excuse they need to either lock him up or execute him. Harry is balanced on a knife edge right now. Mab might not stop him from doing his own thing per se, but she might actively thwart him from interfering with the functioning of her Accords. She takes that sort of thing personally.

It could be though that the Empress justifies her war as it is against Marcone who is the self-styled Baron of Chicago. Him being a Freeholding Lord might give her that opening. It is "his" city after all. I agree that it feels like a set-up to justify a war is coming. Just like Grave Peril. Reminds me of how the Red Court had been preparing to strike anyhow and Harry just lit the touchpaper. It certainly would be more interesting if it is Marcone who has to make the choice.

KutinStGeorge - Agreed. Harry isn't what he was in the Council anymore. He has a lot of work to do if he wants to clean up his image (and Harry isn't exactly a PR wizard  ;) )

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2020, 01:29:40 PM »
SK - Could be that it is political. I can't really seeing the Council just allowing a slaughter of human life though...but it would be interesting if they had to choose between their mission and the Accords. I can definitely see Cristos arguing against defending Chicago. Mab would never violate her own Accords.

Actually there is a hint in Christmas Eve that that is exactly what happened, or something very close.
I believe it was Molly who said to Harry, and I am paraphrasing, "you tried to tell them but they wouldn't listen."  That goes along with what Rashid said to Harry back in Turn Coat, "now is not the time for you to confront the Council," implying strongly that at some point in the future he will have to.  So they don't listen when it could be dealt with, and Harry is forced to go it alone with the one thing he can do, and this is sort of born out by the trailer when Eb says something to the effect it is insane for him to attempt it, but Harry is forced to invoke the Darkhallow, gain godlike powers because that is the only way one mortal can stop a Titian, and though he saves the world, a lot of lives are going to be lost as a result.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2020, 04:12:01 PM »
I noted the line in Turncoat during my recent re-read, but don’t think Harry would Darkhallow in Battle Field as it would kill the people of Chicago. He has the tools to take on the Titan at Demonreach, as well as the necessary skills and knowledge. I also think that when he does use the Darkhallow, it will be on a battlefield of his choosing. The overrun gates spring to mind, or Demonreach, or New Jersey not the City. I also think he won’t use it for himself, he will elevate someone else ( I always imagine a Galactus sized and hungry Toot, off to find the Discworld)