Author Topic: Crazy thought about Mab and the council (edited for clarity.)  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
We know that Mab doesn't like to act overtly, and that she likes to kill multiple birds with one stone.  With this in mind let's take a look at the unfortunate incident with Carlos and Molly.  In Cold Case, Molly goes on her first mission as winter lady to Alaska. Her mission is to collect draftees from the Miksani.  They haven’t been able to send the conscripts because a cult has been abducting them.   
She runs into Carlos and they take care of the cultist and save the conscripts.  Afterwards, they attempt to have sex with some disastrous results.  Molly blacks out, the mantle takes over and almost kills Carlos.  The winter lady can't become a mother, so the mantle didn't like it when she tried to get laid.

Carlos is based in California, so Alaska is a bit of hike.  I'm sure winter's intelligence network monitors the movements of the council's upper level wardens.  Of all the places Mab could've sent Molly why send her to a place where she'll run into Carlos?  Does anyone really buy that Mab didn’t know he was there.

Mab has a certain degree of foresight and she isn’t stupid.  She knew what would happen between the two of them.  What does Mab get out of it?  I think she gains a lot out of it.  It makes Molly take her new role seriously and respect Winter law.  Harry and Molly have never been on great terms with the council, and they might be pissed that the two of them are on team Winter.  Molly just made a first impression as winter lady to the council, she can take one of there most well respected wardens and cripple him without even trying.  Maybe that would give the council a reason to think twice about taking action against Harry and Molly.  The incident will also side line one of Harry’s allies.  The less people he can go to for help, the more he has to rely on Mab.

The timing of this was also perfect because Molly was new to being the winter lady, so nothing suggests Mab’s culpability.  It’s not her fault that the new person didn’t finish ready the mantle’s owner’s manual.  The council would be less likely to believe this was an accident if Molly had been on the job longer.

Offline knightedbishop

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy thought about Mab and the council (edited for clarity.)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »
I was really, really surprised to hear McCoy refer to Molly as a warlock when talking to Harry in one of the Peace Talks pre-release chapters. As Mab said to Harry when Molly became the Lady: the Council may howl all the want about a warlock, but the Winter Lady is beyond their reach. Carlos acknowledged the same in Cold Case when Molly asked if Carlos was there to bring her in and he said that he understood she was now the executive of a sovereign nation.

The Council cannot possibly be dumb enough to be snide about Molly openly. And Carlos, well, he decided to try to sleep with the Winter Lady on his own. From the Council's perspective he made a bad decision. It's heartbreaking for Molly (and sucks for Carlos) since we know first hand what happened and their mutual intent.

Mab will not tolerate any disrespect to Winter. She'll also expect Molly to clean up her own messes. If there is any blow back, it will be subtle/off the books and it will be Molly's problem.

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy thought about Mab and the council (edited for clarity.)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 09:01:09 PM »
The understood to be a leader of a sovereign nation is really useful for the discussion in my diplomatic incident thread.

I agree he blow back would be on Molly, because Mab has plausible deniability.  I was surprised that McCoy called her a  warlock too.  Maybe he was just talking about the council POV not his own.  I'll have to pay attention when i read it again.