Author Topic: Chapter 6 Drop  (Read 11735 times)

Offline Uriel_spook

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Chapter 6 Drop
« on: July 07, 2020, 03:09:00 PM »
Six chapters in and the pressure cooker is in full effect. Looking forward to seeing where Harry goes from here in just one week.  Will be refreshing my app in the wee hours of the morning - who needs sleep right?

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 6 Drop
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 03:19:05 PM »
Harry had an entire book about *one* favour- and that was a small one. Things are about to get hectic...

I’ve booked a day off work next Tuesday. I feel I’ve waited a long time for this day to arrive :)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 03:29:00 PM »
What the hell is this suppose to represent?
“Three?” I blurted. “I had to fight for my life through Arctis Tor and slug it out with an Elder Phobophage just to earn one favor!”

Mab’s eyes swiveled to me. “And you were repaid appropriately for your deeds.”

“I got a doughnut!”

“It is hardly my concern if you wasted your favor upon something so frivolous,” Mab said.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 03:45:12 PM »
What the hell is this suppose to represent?

Well, Harry could have asked for a lot more apparently.  I cannot remember if he was down to doing the third favor to owed to Mab or not... But she could have been hinting that if he had used his head and asked for it, he could have wiped out all the obligation he owed Mab and be a free man now, but he asked for a doughnut..

So far in the first six chapters Jim has thrown almost everything but the kitchen sink at Harry and he is about to go in over his head in the deepest of deep poop!    Nothing new for him I know, but I hope he has some water wings!  ::)  Somehow me thinks these next two books are going to be another pivot point in Harry's life like Grave Peril and Changes were..    8)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
Well, except for the fact that the favor Harry got was from the Summer Court.   Not sure Mab would have been required to fulfill anything.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline spiritofair

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 04:05:58 PM »
Well, except for the fact that the favor Harry got was from the Summer Court.   Not sure Mab would have been required to fulfill anything.
And the doughnut was requested at a most opportune time, in way that saved his life.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 04:06:25 PM »
Which would all be well and good if it weren't for the fact that the favor was granted by Titania, not Mab.  Maybe I'm misreading it but that's how it looks.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 04:47:21 PM »
Yes, it was a summer favour. That confused me too. Except maybe he meant generally a favour from the fae.
And hey: The building was on fire, but it wasn't Harry's fault. LOL

Offline bmillard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 04:53:04 PM »
Interesting that Harry & Murphy have sex (although it's possible they didn't go all the way since we didn't read it) right before he might need true love protection from Laura. Now to wait and see if he has it.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 05:35:38 PM »

You never know, as Gollum would say,  "It's trixsie..."

Offline knightedbishop

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 05:43:08 PM »
Mab was referring to the favor Harry received from the Summer Court that he then used to get Eldest Gruff to fetch him a donut. That stopped Gruff from having to give Harry a beat down. Harry got away with his life.

I think Harry of the present would likely be crafter and not have been in that situation to begin with. He basically squandered the full value of the favor. Clearly Lara is getting full bang for her buck.

Mab always has a plan. Well, Mab has a three dozen plans going on at any one time. She is fond of Harry on some level. Whatever purpose she had for Harry is not fulfilled. She does not intend to throw him away. But she also has no use for him if he can’t fend for himself.

When Mab first brought Harry to Arctis Tor she subjected him to rigorous physical training. I think these jobs she’s giving him serve multiple purposes. They fulfill an immediate need Mab has. They increase Harry’s stature. They also serve to train Harry’s mind just as she trained his body.

I want to know who the heck set the svartalves’s embassy on fire. Anyone powerful enough to pull the trigger knew the can of whoop *** they were opening.  And if it was to get at Maggie? Well...yeah. Sucks to be them.

Offline cleoslemonade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 06:21:55 PM »
I'm glad that Harry still has the Munstermobile. He's gotta have a silly car, and you just know that his flamed hearse is going to get comments at the peace talks.

On protection against Lara, it's hard to tell. Do you have to go all the way in sex in order to have True Love protection? The protection comes from intertwining your soul with the soul of your true love, right? And that definitely happens in sex, but also can happen to a lesser degree.
Back in another book (small favor?), Bob mentions that a hug between Harry and Murphy caused a little bit of soul swapping. Maybe protection against the whampires isn't an on/off thing, but a spectrum of how much soul swapping happened and how recently.

Offline Walter the skull

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 06:25:00 PM »
Ok so let's think of the favors Lara could've done.  One thing that comes to my mind is helping to defend Demon Reach.  If that's the favor, then Winter owes Marcone a favor too since his forces helped defend it too.

I think one of the favors might have been Thomas assassinate some one.

In chapter 6 Harry talks about the amount of influence Lara is gaining in the government.  In Jury Duty, we meet Tania Raith, a low level DA, who could exert influence over DA's higher up in the food chain.  Mab may want to use the mortal authorities and Murphy as leverage over Harry.  Perhaps Lara helped Mab get that influence.   

Another thing that i found interesting was this:
"“New colors,” she said, her voice velvety smooth and calm. “The shield used to be blue. What changed?”

“He made an alliance with a powerful guardian entity,” said the second monster, a woman seated beside the first. She was as lean as a rod of rebar, but colder and harder, and her opalescent green eyes were too big to be strictly human. Silver‑white hair fell to her shoulders, today in a fine silken sheet. Her voice sounded calm and precise, and she wore a glacier blue dress that belonged on a runway. “It does not interfere with his duties.”"

That exchange between Lara and Mab makes me wonder how Harry's relationship with demon reach has changed him, and to what degree Harry can use power from Demon Reach when he isn't on the island.

Mab also implied that Lara would like how Harry tasted and remind her that Harry was a member of her court.  When Harry and Mab had sex to seal the deal for winter knight she said that Harry was hers.  I also think Bob may have mention something about Harry kind of being married to Mab.  I wonder if Mab protects Harry from being eaten by a wampire.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 06:29:33 PM by Walter the skull »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 06:56:33 PM »
Interesting that Harry & Murphy have sex (although it's possible they didn't go all the way since we didn't read it) right before he might need true love protection from Laura. Now to wait and see if he has it.
I don't know what else he has to be smug about.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 07:03:19 PM »
I want to know who the heck set the svartalves’s embassy on fire.
My money is on Thomas.

I hope at some point Harry reminds Lara what happened to the last person Harry fulfilled a favor to the Winter Court for. Thinking about how faeries work, Harry was lucky to get rid of the favor from the Summer Court without getting more entangled or destroyed in the process. Morgan didn't survive by cashing his favor in. Harry did. Who used it more wisely?